Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2015, 02:27 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I just wonder how long they will last...

I own a lot of cars all the way back to a 1905 and my daily driver is a 25 year old pickup...

I have serious reservations today's cars will end up as survivors... I could be wrong.
What do you consider to be the service life for a vehicle? Because I see lots of recent modern cars (within the past 10-15 years) running around with 200K+ miles out there. My neighbor has an ex rental rocket Impala, hardly a harbinger of quality, with 209K on it and she doesn't do much to it.

As an aside, you mentioned working at a Hospital. If I were a doctor or nurse and absolutely had to make it in to work no matter what, I might not own a car out of warranty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2015, 02:35 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,764,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
I have never watched TopGear.

Get out of this forum.

Old 11-13-2015, 02:38 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Serious? Braking and handling?
Completely serious. It's a given that an old supercar will have lost some of its horsepower over the years, but I too expected they would brake and steer their way around a track. Turns out a modern family hatchback with stability control, disc brakes etc. - and, admittedly, in the hands of a very competent driver - could hold its own.

Quote:
I have never watched TopGear.
It is quite entertaining, if one likes understated British arguments, the occasional nice car, and watching people make fools of themselves.

Old 11-13-2015, 02:39 PM

45,396 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
Most cars of your cars' era are long gone, too. Hot rodding has kept a number of them alive, though it's said that there are more '32 Fords driving around now than there were in '32, due to how many new bodies both in steel and fiberglass have been made... lol!

It's no secret that on average, modern cars have longer useful lives as far as mileage is concerned. And a 10-15 year old car is no longer considered a "jalopy" only suitable for the scrapyard like it was in the '50s and '60s.
That's a point that's being ignored. The cars you see from the 50s and 60s, or even the 70s, are the survivors. The rest have been scrapped long ago.

How long will "today's" cars last? I don't know. No one really does.

But in the NBP extended fleet are two 95 Taurus wagons. One will be going away soon because, at 250K, it's just plain worn out. As is the 02 wagon with 225K.

The 03 F150 just turned over 200K while the 01 Frontier has 175K, the 05 Sable is at 110K and the 10 Forester is at 120K (my 14 F150 just turned over 20K). The 03 Focus had 180K when it got totaled by a deer. The 98 Taurus was at 125K when it was totaled 11 years ago.

I scrapped a 91 Lumina a year or so ago. Not because it wouldn't run at 100K but because it got totaled in a wreck.

Old 11-13-2015, 02:54 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
They're too expensive and throwaway items?
Yes... folks are willing to pay the price and then trade... just add it to the cost of ownership.

Then I always pay cash for my vehicles... never bought on time except home mortgage.

Old 11-13-2015, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
What do you consider to be the service life for a vehicle? Because I see lots of recent modern cars (within the past 10-15 years) running around with 200K+ miles out there. My neighbor has an ex rental rocket Impala, hardly a harbinger of quality, with 209K on it and she doesn't do much to it.

As an aside, you mentioned working at a Hospital. If I were a doctor or nurse and absolutely had to make it in to work no matter what, I might not own a car out of warranty.
Good question... in California it seems to be smog issues that lead to demise.

Plenty of 100% rust free cars that can't pass smog and some of the higher end stuff with California only emissions can be hell to locate California only emission parts for a car from the 90's and older.

We must smog just about everything 1976 and newer so when your mint 2002 BMW won't pass smog... get ready to spend a lot of time on it or money and hope to get it passed.

I have parked a BMW 2002 and a Triumph Spitfire... both 1976 models and both will not pass smog... run great. Neither have Catalytic Converters because they were not California Spec.

Doctors, Nurses, Business Offices, Med Techs and Receptionists all drive cars they bought new... some do lease.

I still have the car I bought in High School for $800 and drove off to college and then drove it another 20 years... same engine and trans... only left me stranded once... timing chain went... less than $50 for parts and a Saturday afternoon and my 72 Plymouth Valiant was back on the road...

Old 11-13-2015, 03:05 PM

17,308 posts, read 12,251,233 times
Only briefly dealt with smog testing in Ohio before they scrapped it. But I do remember when they had it if you did not pass all you had to do was put in $250 worth of repairs and if that didn't solve the issue you got an exemption. Nothing like that in CA I guess?

Old 11-13-2015, 03:07 PM

Only bought one new car... it was a factory order in 2002 and has 66,000 miles... I do my own work and in almost 15 years, spent less than $100 in parts for repairs... not including normal maintenance items...

My Voltage Regulator went out... Dealer said a week and about $1100 to repair... part cost $40 and I had it replaced in 2 hours...

Also had a right and left rear window regulators go out... $30 each and the Dealer want $600 parts and labor...

Old 11-13-2015, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Only briefly dealt with smog testing in Ohio before they scrapped it. But I do remember when they had it if you did not pass all you had to do was put in $250 worth of repairs and if that didn't solve the issue you got an exemption. Nothing like that in CA I guess?
No... if you are low income there is a problem to assist or buy your car...

There is also a provision where you can get a one time exemption from a State Referee after spending $650 and meeting several other requirements...

SmogTips.com - California Smog Check Waiver. Register your car WITHOUT a Smog Certificate. Smog check exemption. Smog Exempt. No smog check. smog waiver. smog check waiver.Failed smog check. Did your car fail the smog test. Smog Check spending limit.

Old 11-13-2015, 03:17 PM

45,396 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Only bought one new car... it was a factory order in 2002 and has 66,000 miles... I do my own work and in almost 15 years, spent less than $100 in parts for repairs... not including normal maintenance items...

My Voltage Regulator went out... Dealer said a week and about $1100 to repair... part cost $40 and I had it replaced in 2 hours...

Also had a right and left rear window regulators go out... $30 each and the Dealer want $600 parts and labor...

You work on your own cars, hobby, avocation, whatever, but most people can't/don't.

If I would get an older car (mid-70s or before) I likely would start to again, even without a garage. I could likely manipulate oldest son into letting me use his (I'd probably have to promise to let him drive whatever it would be. Wouldn't happen but he's a hopeful and optimistic sort).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive