Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2016, 02:51 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,873,209 times

Advertisements

I didn't read the entire thread, but one thing I don't like in many new cars is that it is too easy for an owner to turn off the exterior lights, and have no clue their lights are not on properly at night.

For example, I've seen several brand new paper plate vehicles with the overly bright LED Daytime Running Lights on, but no other exterior lights on. These cars also have LCD instrument panels, so there is no "clue" that the exterior lights are not on due to dark gauges like in older cars. BMW, Mercedes, etc, I've seen like this. The new owners see the instruments, and see "light" in front of their car, so they think everything is working, but actually their lights are turned OFF instead of on AUTO.

If the manufacturers could just set it up to always default to AUTO headlights when the vehicle is started, this would solve the problem, with the ability to turn the auto lights OFF if needed during a particular driving session.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2016, 02:53 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,735,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trbstang View Post
I didn't read the entire thread, but one thing I don't like in many new cars is that it is too easy for an owner to turn off the exterior lights, and have no clue their lights are not on properly at night.

For example, I've seen several brand new paper plate vehicles with the overly bright LED Daytime Running Lights on, but no other exterior lights on. These cars also have LCD instrument panels, so there is no "clue" that the exterior lights are not on due to dark gauges like in older cars. BMW, Mercedes, etc, I've seen like this. The new owners see the instruments, and see "light" in front of their car, so they think everything is working, but actually their lights are turned OFF instead of on AUTO.

If the manufacturers could just set it up to always default to AUTO headlights when the vehicle is started, this would solve the problem, with the ability to turn the auto lights OFF if needed during a particular driving session.
I echo these sentiments. My wifes Subaru does not have a "light on" indicator. The dash is always lit so it's hard to tell if headlights are one short of looking at the light stalk.

Old 01-06-2016, 01:55 PM

294 posts, read 372,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
There's not much I dislike.. I like the styling except perhaps the oversized front grilles they all seem to be adopting.. it started with the Fords.. never like their grilles.. and spread like wildfire and now it's on the Toyota Camry...

I love how modern technology makes everything mostly maintenance free.. I love the emergence of adaptive cruise control, blind spot warning indicators, and things like that... combined with digital audio and navigation it's never been a better time for someone like myself who just wants convenience when driving to be buying a vehicle... they all have better power while using less fuel than ever, and they all cruise the interstate at 85 with ease...

Alright I thought of something else I dislike... Honda puts uncomfortable seats in their civics...

I don't want to have to remove the front bumper to change out the headlights...

I don't want a complicated procedure in place to change the oil or battery.. if this stuff is not easily accessable I'm not buying that make. If the model has no compact spare tire I'm not buying that make.. put a spare tire in there.. I don't care about the .2 mile per gallon gas savings.

Stuff like being able to access the spark plugs or having a tranny fluid dipstick I no longer care about.. you really don't need to change the tranny fluid on modern sedans unless you drive very aggressively or tow lots which doesn't apply to me.

I'm not really a "car" person and don't have super high attention to every little detail so I don't even pay attention to things like chrome or whatnot.. I'm the boring guy that just wants a clean, refined, smooth driving vehicle.. don't get me wrong I love to drive... but I don't need luxury or to portray any image to other people around me to do it.
New cars are sold without spare tires?!

Old 01-06-2016, 01:56 PM

2,983 posts, read 3,092,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiplingif View Post
New cars are sold without spare tires?!

Many of them come with run-flats and an inflator can. BMWs and MINIs especially, but I've seen that from just about every manufacturer.

Old 01-06-2016, 02:10 PM

17,305 posts, read 12,251,233 times
Yeah it's becoming common for even cars without run flats to not have a spare. Just an emergency kit with inflator and goo + free roadside assistance offered by manufacturer. Though the parts department will happily sell you a spare tire kit at around $150.

Old 01-06-2016, 04:49 PM

294 posts, read 372,413 times
Crazy. One thing I dislike is the scissor jack you usually get with a new car. Those things are such garbage in my experience. I much prefer this style:

Old 01-09-2016, 02:39 PM

10,068 posts, read 7,239,454 times
Living in an area that annually gets snow and ice, a downside of things like automatic braking and traction control are that people forget how to actually drive in snow and ice. They don't know how to properly recover from a slide or spin, overcorrect, or drive too fast thinking "they're good" because of their car's safety features.

Also, so few cars come in manual versions that no one knows how to drive manual anymore. I haven't driven stick since high school.

Old 01-09-2016, 03:05 PM

9,882 posts, read 7,212,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiplingif View Post
Crazy. One thing I dislike is the scissor jack you usually get with a new car. Those things are such garbage in my experience. I much prefer this style:
I do use a floor jack in my garage for winter/summer tire changeover but carrying that in the trunk all the time would be a bit of a hassle.

Old 01-09-2016, 03:38 PM

961 posts, read 2,026,472 times
Dashboards that are too busy and too fancy he

I often see VW CC/Passat bashed for that, but I think minimalism inside is actually an asset, not a negative.

Old 01-10-2016, 12:43 AM

2,151 posts, read 1,355,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
But it's still a paid mobile service so what's the difference vs just using your phone's hot spot?
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
Right, and you can take your phone wherever you go, so it's only good if you're sitting in the car. But as with many of these gizmos, if it's new a lot of people just gotta have it.
The difference is the Antenna. Your phone cannot pick up signals like a car's big antenna can. Especially when you're in the mountains. A phone with a hotspot is great, but thinking it can replace a cellular connection in a car is ignorant at best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive