Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2016, 05:44 AM

4,236 posts, read 8,142,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
How do you guys know that the plastics are cheaper than the metal in older cars? Some of the plastic used is actually more expensive than the materials in older cars. You can't tell by touch or look whether the material is cheap or expensive when it comes to plastics.

Also, safety. Plastic dashes and door panels are better in a crash than metal and wood, plus it allows for the molded in seams that are necessary for airbag operation.
The fit and finish of older muscle cars would be considered very subpar when compared to today’s cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2016, 05:46 AM

1,400 posts, read 766,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
As a person who really hates new cars and drives old ones, I have a list of why I hate new cars. What's your list like?

1. New cars have ugly styling. No chrome, round jellybean or turd shapes, drab interiors, playskool like plastic parts

2. Drab, poor quality paint. Seems like all cars are silver, black or grey. No bright primary colors anymore.

3. Plastic where bumpers are supposed to be

4. Plastic headlights that fog up a year or two after purchase

6. Poor visibility due to bulky pillars or severely sloped windshields.

7. Lack of legroom for taller people. Trying to drive one of those cars is an exercise in frustration.

8. Excessive electronics that are extremely difficult to diagnose, and expensive to replace

9. Plastic in the engine compartment. The extremely crammed engine is covered with drab ugly plastic

10. Many cars are fatter and taller than the classics they replaced. Yet they lack proper headroom for taller people

11. A horrible chemical smell unlike the older cars "new car smell".

12. Many newer cars use low profile tires that allow the rims to be damaged in real world driving conditions.

13. Instrument panels with too many curves in ultra cheap plastic that fades and cracks in a few years.
Very cheap plastic buttons that fall off. Lights controlled by a turn signal stick.

14. Fender flares

15. Prices much higher than they should be considering automation and materials. Parts priced in the stratosphere.

16. Plastic door handles that break within a few years.

There are probably more that I forgot but what do you think?
Oh, the problems of the rich... I have never owned a new car and if I did, I sure as heck would not complain about it.

Old 01-04-2016, 07:03 AM

2,254 posts, read 2,738,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
But it's still a paid mobile service so what's the difference vs just using your phone's hot spot?
Fleet vehicles are used by multiple people and those people may not be provided data plans for their phones. That's why you saw wifi enablement in typical fleet vehicles - trucks, SUVs, etc.

Old 01-04-2016, 07:19 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,764,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
The fit and finish of older muscle cars would be considered very subpar when compared to today’s cars.
What, you mean panel gaps six miles wide aren't considered a good thing?

Old 01-04-2016, 07:24 AM

1,996 posts, read 4,770,445 times
Even with the great improvements of new car interiors, especially in plastics quality and soft touch material, they are in no way shape or form have a better look or feel than my 64 Cadillac or my previous 61 Lincoln Continental, nothing comes close, no S-Class, and no 7-Series.

You can't beat the look of chrome metal trim, leather/vinyl soft to touch door panels, thick plush carpeting, heavy feeling knobs and switches, thick plush leather seats, chrome metal door handles, chrome pillars and stitched headliner material. And detail to boot with everything laid out so well.

Luxury was better designed and executed in the 50's and 60's luxury cars when every part you touch in a car felt substantial.

Give me a mint 65 Cadillac Fleetwood with rear fold down trays that light up, and carpeted rear seat foot rest with individual map lights and plush seats that are made with individually wrapped coil springs like you find in a beautyrest mattress, instead of an S-Class Benz that blends in with every other car on the road, and lacks the interior room and styling of the Cadillac.

Old 01-04-2016, 07:31 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,735,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
Even with the great improvements of new car interiors, especially in plastics quality and soft touch material, they are in no way shape or form have a better look or feel than my 64 Cadillac or my previous 61 Lincoln Continental, nothing comes close, no S-Class, and no 7-Series.

You can't beat the look of chrome metal trim, leather/vinyl soft to touch door panels, thick plush carpeting, heavy feeling knobs and switches, thick plush leather seats, chrome metal door handles, chrome pillars and stitched headliner material. And detail to boot with everything laid out so well.

Luxury was better designed and executed in the 50's and 60's luxury cars when every part you touch in a car felt substantial.

Give me a mint 65 Cadillac Fleetwood with rear fold down trays that light up, and carpeted rear seat foot rest with individual map lights and plush seats that are made with individually wrapped coil springs like you find in a beautyrest mattress, instead of an S-Class Benz that blends in with every other car on the road, and lacks the interior room and styling of the Cadillac.
This is VERY subjective. Many would disagree with you. Especially comparing against modern high end luxury vehicles.

Old 01-04-2016, 07:58 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,764,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post

Chrome trim - you mean the stuff that only serves to either blind someone when the sun reflects off of it, or burn the hell out of their skin when they touch it in the summer?

Thick plush leather seats - you mean the same ones that offer virtually no support and are basically like sitting in an old sofa?

That sounds awful.

Old 01-04-2016, 11:57 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,760,834 times
Do you have hard foam furniture in your living room? Do you sleep on a hard foam mattress, and use a hard foam pillow, with beautiful leathers and cloths draped over them so they LOOK comfortable, but are actually hard as a rock?

Old 01-04-2016, 12:00 PM

2,983 posts, read 3,092,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen88 View Post
Do you have hard foam furniture in your living room? Do you sleep on a hard foam mattress, and use a hard foam pillow, with beautiful leathers and cloths draped over them so they LOOK comfortable, but are actually hard as a rock?
I'm not trying to stay awake, aware, and held in place during manuevering in my living room. Two completely different missions, so why have them feel the same? I prefer my BMW's sport seats, even on my 2000+ mile trip to Florida and back last week. Quite comfortable and was never induced to fall asleep like those big old velour couches in the old luxury cars.

Old 01-04-2016, 12:04 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,760,834 times
I'm glad you find them comfortable, after an hour or two I'd be squirming and itching to get out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive