Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2016, 06:23 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,093,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMak70 View Post
I hate that new cars have no soul or individuality...........I can't tell one brand from the other these days.

There was a time when you knew every make and model by heart and every car had it's own distinctive look and features.

Only if you grew up in that era and were interested in that era of cars. I can tell modern cars apart at a glance with no badges. Whether it's a Malibu, a Fusion, a Sonata or an Accord, it's easy due to their unique features. They are each distinctive and exciting. I know a lot of younger car guys that know a car is old, but not what make or model it is. There's a facebook page called V.I.S.I.T. (Vehicles I Saw In Traffic) where cool and unusual cars that are photographed on the road are attempted to be identified, and you'd be surprised how few people know cars from the '50s and '60s. That's because cars of similar roles from each era tend to look alike. Always have and always will. I'll bet you can't tell many '30s cars apart, either. What's the differences between a '30 Ford, a '30 Chevy and a '30 Whippet? Do you know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2016, 06:40 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,977,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
Would you rather we be holding the phone while we change songs or change the volume? I drive a luxury car, not a little sports car.
Personally, I would rather you turned the (expletive deleted) phone off and pay total attention to your driving, no matter what kind of luxurious boat you are sort of in control of!

Old 06-02-2016, 07:21 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,093,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Personally, I would rather you turned the (expletive deleted) phone off and pay total attention to your driving, no matter what kind of luxurious boat you are sort of in control of!

The phone stays in my pocket and I control the songs through the steering wheel. I'm in complete control of my car, probably more than YOU.

Old 06-02-2016, 07:52 AM

17,206 posts, read 15,404,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdc58 View Post
Some people prefer quality sound and lower cost.

I guess some people just have to "keep up with the Joneses" though......it's more important to them.

And why would anyone who has hundreds of CD's want to waste hours and hours downloading them to some gadget, just so they can get lousier sound?
Higher quality sound on a CD than on, say, an HTC device with BoomSound?

And you don't have to spend "hours and hours downloading" anything. I use spotify and make my own playlists. Instead of carrying hundreds of CDs and having to switch them out or skip half of the garbage songs that come on them, I have all of the songs I WANT to hear at the touch of a button.

Old 06-02-2016, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
Altima, Altima S, and Maxima are in our fleet, and the interior is fine in them, does notnlook cheap at all, and easy to clean for the most part. It does have decent power, Nissan makes good engines. Those who don't believe me; a car that big with a 4banger, AND a cvt shouldn't move as quick as a Altima does.
This I can agree with. I owned a 2008 Altima S for 5 years (got rid of it at over 220,000 miles, was still running strong) and for what it was, it has ample power. 2.5L with a CVT? Worked great in its case. The interior was fine. Low-grade plastics in some areas, but for a $20k car, it was pretty solid.

I recently drove a new Maxima. The reviews don't lie: that thing is a BEAST. Nothing more to say about it.

On the other hand, a few weeks ago, I got stuck with a 2016 Yukon XL for a week, and was highly disappointed. My 2005 Lincoln has a smoother ride and more aggressive power output when needed. And then there is so much useless junk that it gets annoying. One of the most aggravating is this seat vibration that occurs whenever you get too close to anything. I get it, if you're about to hit someone, but when driving on the interstate, I don't need the seat to go nuts every time a car in the other lane gets next to me.
And then the center display. I like SOME technology, but that one just had WAY too much going on in a very confusing setup.

Old 06-02-2016, 08:29 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Default What you HATE about new cars

The payments...

Old 06-02-2016, 08:57 AM

1,213 posts, read 3,112,914 times
Auto start-stop that can't be permanently turned off. If I just bought a $50,000 car, I don't give a damn about saving $20 of fuel a year and being annoyed in the process.

Old 06-02-2016, 09:03 AM

4,834 posts, read 5,736,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnZ963 View Post
Auto start-stop that can't be permanently turned off. If I just bought a $50,000 car, I don't give a damn about saving $20 of fuel a year and being annoyed in the process.
I've never driven a car with this feature but I'm sure it would bother the hell out of me. Had a BMW next to me with this feature the other day. I could hear it start up when the light turned green.

Wondering what the tolerances are for this feature. If you are in stop-and-go traffic on the highway and come to a dead stop for even a millisecond does it turn off your car. How long from a dead stop before the car shuts itself off?

Old 06-02-2016, 09:21 AM

2,190 posts, read 2,234,840 times
I think that push button starts are incredibly stupid.

Old 06-02-2016, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
I think that push button starts are incredibly stupid.
The whole idea is that you don't have to take your keys out. Unlock the doors by pushing button on door-handle, get in, start the car. For women, like my wife, this means the keys stay in her purse, and she can take off much faster than she would otherwise. A lot of it is convenience and safety.
Also, no more ignition switches breaking from constant turning of keys, getting damaged from heavy keychain bundles, etc. I used to think it was a gimmick. Then I owned a car with it, and soon realized how brilliant and convenient it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive