Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 12:51 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,693,981 times

Advertisements

The manual transmission is vanishing. Here is a link to a list of every car model, both domestic and foreign, that offers a manual transmission option today.

Blog Post | These Are All The Manual Transmission Cars Available Today | Car Talk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2016, 12:54 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,544,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
The manual transmission is vanishing. Here is a link to a list of every car model, both domestic and foreign, that offers a manual transmission option today.

Blog Post | These Are All The Manual Transmission Cars Available Today | Car Talk

I would hate to this happen. I'm betting it's because people are getting lazier & refuse to learn how besides it hurts their ability to text while driving. I don't see a total decline of the manual gearbox though. If I'm not mistaken most car makers offer a granny gear in their trucks. Then of course you have the die hard people like me or love a good manual, even more so when it comes to have a sports car. Mustang, Miata, Porsche, etc.

Last edited by reed067; 02-09-2016 at 01:02 PM..

Old 02-09-2016, 01:03 PM

17,311 posts, read 12,263,996 times
80+ is still a fairly good number. The manual transmission is actually having a little renaissance. The (small)number sold on new cars doubled between 2011 and 2012.
Stick shifts popular again, despite lower gas mileage

Old 02-09-2016, 01:05 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,710,038 times
Some pickup trucks have them, too. I have one.

Old 02-09-2016, 01:09 PM

3,703 posts, read 4,855,219 times
Dang, I always see here how no cars have manuals anymore. Looks like quite a few options to me. But, personally, I'll take an auto!

Old 02-09-2016, 01:17 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,866,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Some pickup trucks have them, too. I have one.
they are listed
Tacoma
Frontier
Dodge 2500/3500
2WD Canyon's

Old 02-09-2016, 01:18 PM

687 posts, read 1,377,948 times
Why is it that whenever this topic comes up people who drive automatics are referred to as lazy or refusing to learn how to drive stick shift. Frankly I think it is more important for a driver to be concentrating on the road and not distracted by changing gears. Over 90 percent of passenger cars are automatic so it is the manual shifters who are the abnormal ones clinging to outdated technology.

Old 02-09-2016, 01:20 PM

772 posts, read 937,052 times
I really don't see what the big deal is. You always hear about how "true" auto enthusiasts have to have a manual.

I just roll my eyes at that, F1 drivers don't shift their cars with a traditional manual, they use steering wheel paddles, and they're the best drivers on earth. I've had stick shift cars and cars with paddle shifters, I think both are fun to use, with the added benefit that if I don't want to shift myself, the paddle shift cars are fully automatic.

Are the people complaining about this issue the same ones complaining about newer auto technology like in the rain sensing wiper thread? Seems like it.

Old 02-09-2016, 01:20 PM

597 posts, read 667,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I would hate to this happen. I'm betting it's because people are getting lazier & refuse to learn how besides it hurts their ability to text while driving. I don't see a total decline of the manual gearbox though. If I'm not mistaken most car makers offer a granny gear in their trucks. Then of course you have the die hard people like me or love a good manual, even more so when it comes to have a sports car. Mustang, Miata, Porsche, etc.
Cars became majority automatic well before the bulk of the texting age. I'd imagine most kids don't even have a chance to learn a manual because they're literally never exposed. Most of their parents have all automatics, so it's the minority of kids who have the opportunity to learn. I don't see widespread "refusal" to learn. For driving, you learn what's put before you. The prize for learning to drive is the independence that comes from driving. With that motivation, kids would happily learn to drive a manual if their parents had a manual and taught them how to use it.

Old 02-09-2016, 01:32 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,708,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasCrown View Post
I really don't see what the big deal is. You always hear about how "true" auto enthusiasts have to have a manual.

I just roll my eyes at that, F1 drivers don't shift their cars with a traditional manual, they use steering wheel paddles, and they're the best drivers on earth. I've had stick shift cars and cars with paddle shifters, I think both are fun to use, with the added benefit that if I don't want to shift myself, the paddle shift cars are fully automatic.

Are the people complaining about this issue the same ones complaining about newer auto technology like in the rain sensing wiper thread? Seems like it.
Well, fwiw, F1 drivers aren't enthusiasts, they're athletes, at least on the track in F1 race cars. Perhaps in their private garages they are enthusiasts with manual transmission cars?

The good news is that while it is harder to buy a new car with a manual transmission, there are plenty of used cars available, even 50+ year old cars, at all price ranges, so an enthusiast will always be able to at least drive such a car in our lifetimes. And by the time we're dead, the car itself might no longer exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive