Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2016, 10:10 PM

181 posts, read 168,276 times

Advertisements

There are also duplex and condo type set ups where neighbors have attached garages that you cannot control what the other occupant (under the same roof line) does & it can affect you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2016, 11:27 PM

53 posts, read 42,203 times
An attached garage is mainly for convenience. Imagine trying to go outside, in a robe or pj's where neighbors can see or, walking in different weather conditions to get to your car.I see many unattached garages or side-street parking in NY.

Although true car fumes linger, it is always critical to make sure that the garage door is open for fresh air. After turning off the car you can wait a couple of seconds then close the garage afterwards.

Old 04-08-2016, 04:48 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times
C'mon.

Old 04-08-2016, 06:19 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beer belly View Post
IMO, I'd go for an attached garage....just too convenient.....unloading groceries in the rain, running from the detached garage to the house would get real old fast
I'd never buy a home with a detached garage. The purpose of a garage is to have a weatherproof area to park your car and walk into your house. A detached garage eliminates that advantage. My ex-MIL and FIL tried to have the best of what they considered both worlds: they had a detached garage in which they installed a breezeway leading from the house to the garage. But by doing that, they got both negatives and none of the positives. The breezeway didn't help keep the elements off them when going to the garage, and they had an additional small roof and pillar area they had to maintain.

Old 04-08-2016, 06:49 AM

181 posts, read 168,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I'd never buy a home with a detached garage. The purpose of a garage is to have a weatherproof area to park your car and walk into your house. A detached garage eliminates that advantage. My ex-MIL and FIL tried to have the best of what they considered both worlds: they had a detached garage in which they installed a breezeway leading from the house to the garage. But by doing that, they got both negatives and none of the positives. The breezeway didn't help keep the elements off them when going to the garage, and they had an additional small roof and pillar area they had to maintain.
Is that the purpose for everyone? Would you melt if it rained on you? Constant indoor air pollution (for drivers & non drivers in the household) is better than risking being cold or wet from time to time?

Old 04-08-2016, 07:28 AM

2,202 posts, read 2,304,779 times
the vehicles tucked away in our garage have no CATs. and their engines were not measured in "cc"s either!

Old 04-08-2016, 07:30 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,102,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben theredundat View Post
Constant indoor air pollution (for drivers & non drivers in the household) is better than risking being cold or wet from time to time?
Except that there isn't any "constant" indoor air pollution.

And in your case, you really don't have to worry. That puny little engine in your Miata isn't producing enough exhaust even when running to harm anyone, even in a closed garage.

Old 04-08-2016, 07:34 AM

4,150 posts, read 3,906,215 times
I think we should all go back to a horse and buggy. Although horses may be required to have a catalytic converter under their tail to meet environmental standards. Still better than a vehicle with all its toxic fumes.

I have to go, time to do some horse shopping on E-Bay or HorsesRus.

Last edited by jasperhobbs; 04-08-2016 at 07:59 AM..

Old 04-08-2016, 07:35 AM

4,232 posts, read 6,910,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
All this talk and nothing with a semblance of the actual issue and the answers...
Well, in this particular case I can claim some knowledge and some guidance....

I was in the heating biz for many many years - and along with heating, our industry studied crazy stuff like the pressurization of houses as well as the effects of various forms of combustion (candles, attached garages, freestanding wood and coal and kerosene stoves, etc).....

THERE ARE PROBLEMS WHICH CAN OCCUR. And, no, most people will never realize if IQ points are being shaved off themselves and their families. Let me relate a real story.

One day I was asked to come to a clients house and look at their wood stove. The client told me they generally slept late so to make sure I came by after 11am.
When I arrived I inspected the stove and the chimney as well as other appliances in the house. The vent pipe for the gas hot water had been removed from the chimney and turned around to face into the home itself! I pointed this out to the homeowner - his answer? "There is lots of heat coming from that pipe" (CO and CO2 and other pollutants also).

See the connection? Sleeping late? CO2 poisoning?

Anyway, studies found that both garages and candles (and other things) could cause quite a buildup of black soot on many surfaces within the homes. Those of you with common sense probably understand that black soot in the house = black soot in your lungs.

So, what is the summary of all of this?
I have a two car attached garage and love it. I don't worry at all.

But, certain things are prudent....

1. If the construction is older and not really tight - have it all inspected to make sure there are no openings between the garage and living area. Codes in most areas require special attention to the house/garage treatment.

2. Have one or more CO detectors inside the house - ideally one relatively close to the garage.

3. Make certain the door between the garage and the house is well sealed - you can often check that door carefully for signs of black soot on the door jam (look near the hinges) - if this is present it indicates soot is traveling from the garage into the home.

One of the best steps you can take is to be sure of the pressurization in your home. Think about it - if your house has a positive pressure in it, then air will exit out any small openings instead of being sucked in. Many houses have negative pressure due to fireplaces, dryer and bath/kitchen vents, etc.
This means the house looks to pull air in from anywhere it can - including the Garage.

Having studied some of the reports and court cases, I would take or leave an attached garage - but, if I had one I would definitely make certain it was safe. Oh, and storing lots of combustibles, gunpowder, etc. in an attached garage is not an intelligent thing to do. Period.
You make good points so I'm not trying to argue, but saying there is not a semblance of answers before your post means you probably didn't read. I already addressed these points.

Old 04-08-2016, 07:37 AM

4,232 posts, read 6,910,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben theredundat View Post
Is that the purpose for everyone? Would you melt if it rained on you? Constant indoor air pollution (for drivers & non drivers in the household) is better than risking being cold or wet from time to time?
you still haven't really addressed the fact that if you ensure the house is properly sealed and properly pressurized via HVAC, it's really near a non-issue. The issue isn't necessarily attached garages, it's improper architectural detailing, architectural installation, and/or hvac system balancing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive