Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 06:37 AM

22 posts, read 26,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
That's not my point. Many people buy these cars for the sole purpose of saving money on buying gas so with electric cars you obviously don't use gas. So they pay more upfront to save on gas the logic makes no sense.

Lastly there is nothing "revolutionary" about an electric car.
I don't think people that pay $35,000 are concerned about the trivial concept of saving a couple thousand dollars over five, six, or seven years. With a couple options, this car is most likely going to be in the low or mid $40,000 range. That's borderline BMW territory. People that have cars in these price ranges typically don't stress over gas prices and stuff. People are most likely fascinated to get an electric car because there's something new and fascinating about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2016, 02:43 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,954,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newjerseycouple View Post
I don't think people that pay $35,000 are concerned about the trivial concept of saving a couple thousand dollars over five, six, or seven years. With a couple options, this car is most likely going to be in the low or mid $40,000 range. That's borderline BMW territory. People that have cars in these price ranges typically don't stress over gas prices and stuff. People are most likely fascinated to get an electric car because there's something new and fascinating about it.
It's not entirely true. Tesla has long claimed their cars are cheaper than gas cars, which is why you see all the comparisons to why that's not really true.
Tesla sells the cost effectiveness of a Model S compared it to a BMW 7 Series using 92 octane at 20mpg typically on their website. There was even a goofy calculator they used to have trying to justify the Model S's monthly cost factoring in "time saved using HOV lanes" and "time saved pumping gas monthly" at $50 an hour. There are forums full of people claiming they bought their Model S to save money. People will tell themselves whatever they want to justify buying anything.

Old 04-13-2016, 04:17 PM

6 posts, read 4,461 times
I'm actually going to buy one this year. I am saving money for it

Old 04-13-2016, 05:35 PM

6,738 posts, read 4,423,499 times
I learned decades ago. NEVER buy a new design of anything, be it a car or motorcycle. Wait a year or two to get the bugs or gremlins out. All new designs have them. The public is the guinea pig. The Li-ion battery technology is in its infancy here. Lots of trial and error, and there is a danger factor here with these batteries. But people line up to get the new gadget. Reserve one. Plan on about three years before you see this vehicle, and it may not even look like the one you wanted. I wouldn't pay $40 thousand for a vehicle that only has a range of about 215 miles. Buy one, a year or two later, they will have an upgrade to a maybe 400 mile range. But just to replace the batteries that come with the vehicle can cost about $12,000. Let alone a battery with much more range. Nope, nope, not buying into this fad just yet.

Last edited by RcHydro; 04-13-2016 at 06:02 PM..

Old 04-14-2016, 02:27 PM

426 posts, read 424,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsthomas View Post
I learned decades ago. NEVER buy a new design of anything, be it a car or motorcycle. Wait a year or two to get the bugs or gremlins out. All new designs have them. The public is the guinea pig. The Li-ion battery technology is in its infancy here. Lots of trial and error, and there is a danger factor here with these batteries. But people line up to get the new gadget. Reserve one. Plan on about three years before you see this vehicle, and it may not even look like the one you wanted. I wouldn't pay $40 thousand for a vehicle that only has a range of about 215 miles. Buy one, a year or two later, they will have an upgrade to a maybe 400 mile range. But just to replace the batteries that come with the vehicle can cost about $12,000. Let alone a battery with much more range. Nope, nope, not buying into this fad just yet.
Lithium ion is 40 years old. Electric motor is 180 years old.

Old 04-14-2016, 02:29 PM

The reservation number is up to 400,000 now.

Old 04-14-2016, 03:00 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,954,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatedcu View Post
So are internal combustion engines. Using ancient technology doesn't mean your car will be glitch free. Look no further than the Model S for proof.

Old 04-14-2016, 04:22 PM

22 posts, read 26,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsthomas View Post
This is kind of true. There's a reason why Toyota and Lexus tend to be more reliable than other car brands. They use very simple engines, transmissions and electronic gadgets that are well known in automotive history. The 2014 Lexus RX has a basic V6 engine with a 6 speed automatic. Most german cars of that price range have fancy twin scroll turbo engines with start/stop technology, coasting technology that shifts the car into neutral while driving, and other new things like cross wind intervention that prevents the car from drifting during heavy winds.

I find that this is why seeing a 15 year old Lexus is pretty common while seeing a BMW older than 7 years old is pretty rare.

I personally would not want to buy a Tesla Model 3 until it's at least 10 years old.

Old 04-14-2016, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
So are internal combustion engines. Using ancient technology doesn't mean your car will be glitch free. Look no further than the Model S for proof.
You seem to enjoy electric motor in your house. If ICE is so great, why don't you replace all your electric motor with ICE. Let see, you can replace your AC compressor, ceiling fan, mixer, microwave, dish washer, washing machine, dryer, electric razor, vent, and refrigerator.

Old 04-14-2016, 06:35 PM

6,738 posts, read 4,423,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatedcu View Post
Yes, But not in the way it is being used in vehicles. Putting the 2 technologies together in a vehicle is still in the learning process. About a 215 mile range. Thats kind of a joke if you ask me. Call me when the range is about 600 miles. If that happens, it wont be cheap. I wont be expecting a call for many, many years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive