Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2016, 06:36 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,785,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
If a truck driver in Ohio is caught using a hand held phone or texting while driving its a $2,750.00 fine. It should be the same for all drivers no matter what they're in. And I've seen dozens of Revenue Generators (OSP) on their phones while driving and nothing happens to them, but if we're on them they'll nail us to the wall.
The $2,750 fine is federal. The FMCSA hands that fine down. When I wrote the violation roadside it is $170.00
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2016, 06:50 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,621,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
If a truck driver in Ohio is caught using a hand held phone or texting while driving its a $2,750.00 fine. It should be the same for all drivers no matter what they're in. And I've seen dozens of Revenue Generators (OSP) on their phones while driving and nothing happens to them, but if we're on them they'll nail us to the wall.

That's a joke, right? The cops in Michigan and Ohio pay no attention to texting drivers.

Old 05-22-2016, 06:56 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,080,222 times
Feet traveled at speed.
30 mph 44 feet
35 mph 51 feet look down at your phone for 3 seconds, you've travelled 153 feet.
40 mph 59 feet
45 mph 66 feet
50 mph 73 feet
55 mph 81 feet
60 mph 88 feet
65 mph 95 feet
70 mph 103 feet a football field every 3 seconds
75 mph 110 feet

Old 05-22-2016, 08:55 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,114,049 times
I guess I'm in the minority on this, but texting (or whatever) at red lights doesn't bother me. Sure some people don't pay attention, but that's always been the case. It's not like before cell phones were invented everyone was staring attentively at the traffic light. Before cell phones, I remember seeing people reading books, looking at maps, putting on makeup, popping pimples, fiddling with the radio, looking for something in the glove compartment or on the seat next to them, napping, making out, talking...Whether you think people should or should not being doing these things is pretty much irrelevant unless the activity is illegal. Texting at a red light doesn't endanger other drivers or pedestrians any more than reading a book or changing out your 8-track. And we've not banned car radios or vanity mirrors.

Old 05-22-2016, 09:08 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,637,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
I guess I'm in the minority on this, but texting (or whatever) at red lights doesn't bother me. Sure some people don't pay attention, but that's always been the case. It's not like before cell phones were invented everyone was staring attentively at the traffic light. Before cell phones, I remember seeing people reading books, looking at maps, putting on makeup, popping pimples, fiddling with the radio, looking for something in the glove compartment or on the seat next to them, napping, making out, talking...Whether you think people should or should not being doing these things is pretty much irrelevant unless the activity is illegal. Texting at a red light doesn't endanger other drivers or pedestrians any more than reading a book or changing out your 8-track. And we've not banned car radios or vanity mirrors.
Same. I'll text at a red light. No different than putting makeup on or changing the radio at a light IMHO.

Old 05-22-2016, 09:19 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Red light is not driving.

Old 05-22-2016, 11:10 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,114,049 times
Yes, I agree sitting at a red light isn't "driving"

I don't have a problem with it, although it sounds like some do, as posts #6, 21, 28, 29 referenced texting at red lights, and I often see that example come up in these types of threads and mentioned in real life.

Old 05-23-2016, 12:01 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,321,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
Cops are making bank off these idiots.
Excellent. I hope they keep up the good work. I also agree that a second offense should include a license suspension. Otherwise people who can afford the fine will keep doing it (just as they do breaking many other laws).

Old 05-23-2016, 03:59 AM

17,624 posts, read 17,682,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
Even at a red light one should pay attention to the road ahead and behind. You may need to move aside for emergency vehicles plus when the light changes you should be ready to go when safe to do so otherwise you're holding up traffic and could potentially cause an accident from your inattention.

Old 05-23-2016, 04:44 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,818,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Red light is not driving.
Wrong! Parked on the side of the road, or in a parking lot may not be, but at a red light you are driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive