Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 01:59 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,449,100 times

Advertisements

I'm in L.A. so I spend a lot of time in traffic, creature comforts are very important to me in my vehicle.

I got a new GM car in December 2015 and I really love to drive it.

Heated leather Seats - (the tush warmer is nice in the cold leather seats in cooler temps), NAV, Satellite Radio/OnStar, WiFi.

The only thing missing is the premium sound system which I regret not installing. But i'll survive it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2016, 02:07 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,878,593 times
The only thing keeping me away from getting it fully loaded is cost. Some don't want more things breaking. One feature I would love to have is adaptive cruise control to use in traffic (automated driving in traffic - who would say no?) but that alone cost over $2k and I don't drive often enough to justify it.

Another one I wish I had are heated seats & steering wheel, but again, cost, in an already pricey vehicle that gave me sport seats & sport steering wheel after paying for the sport package.

Don't care about premium sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
I don't like the trend of integrating all the systems into a touch screen either, it is not time efficient and nearly impossible to adjust without paying attention.
I've been saying the same thing for years (about touch-screen, not integration). The touch-screens require hand/eye focus on exactly where you're touching (same as separate Garmin GPS units on your dashboard). The console dial/knob controls that Audi, MB, BMW have may be clunkier to use, but they are MUCH safer. I like the latter a lot more while the vehicle is in motion since I can actually get things done rather than waiting for clear road before glancing away. Working those is essentially the same as mind-control.

Last edited by ovi8; 06-16-2016 at 02:18 PM..

Old 06-16-2016, 02:09 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,621,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Yes, there is a large crowd here where creature comforts mean absolutely nothing to them and would prefer we pedal cars like the Flintstones.

But to others shopping or have recently purchased brand new cars how important are safety feature and creature comforts to you, especially when test driving different trims and seeing the difference from base to premium package?

We recently purchased a Kia Soul for my mom (she watches our baby so she deserves it). We first looked at base models but ended up with a "plus" trim just because it just felt better put together (as much as Soul can be enhanced ). Bigger engine, navigation, backup camera, leather steering wheel, auto climate control. In the long run these things will just make the driving experience just a bit better for her.

In the past I have usually went with base or just the next step up in trim but I am targeting fully-loaded when I start car shopping 3-5 years from now. Many safety features/creature comforts just can't be easily added aftermarket so just better to get it packaged from the factory.
Your mother is so lucky. I love that little "frog" car but my husband is probably too tall to drive it. I am threatening to buy one for myself.

Now to the subject of creature comforts. I would like to adjust the seat in a car and after that to just push a button and it goes back to that. Never had a car that did that though.

I don't like the idea of a car putting on the breaks for me. Don't mind a warning if there is a car in my blind spot but I see automatic breaking as a safety hazard. What if you wanted to speed up and turn past the stalled car? When I am driving, I want to be in control.

We have a system in our car that will let the air be running on one side of the car and heat running on the other side. That's crazy. And we have accidently had that happening thus our comfort settings were fighting each other. Talk about wasting energy.

I like OnStar and a car phone although it is seldom used. I prefer public to pay radio. I like variety and my husband keeps putting it on the same setting. One year of Elvis or anything else is just too much. Our last car allowed you to click through all stations by pushing the button. The car we own now only changes to selected stations. Bummer.

Last edited by NCN; 06-16-2016 at 02:20 PM..

Old 06-16-2016, 02:11 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,438,954 times
Air Conditioning!

Old 06-16-2016, 02:13 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,866,913 times
It depends. Am I driving across town or across the country?

Old 06-16-2016, 02:14 PM

17,302 posts, read 12,236,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Your mother is so lucky. I love that little "frog" car but my husband is probably too tall to drive it. I am threatening to buy one for myself.
I'm 6'7 and fit in the Soul just fine with lots of room to spare.

Old 06-16-2016, 02:17 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,731,504 times
Yes, the Soul is surprisingly roomy and noted for ease of getting in and out of. This car is preferred by older people for this exact reason.

Old 06-16-2016, 04:32 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,577,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Yes, there is a large crowd here where creature comforts mean absolutely nothing to them and would prefer we pedal cars like the Flintstones.

But to others shopping or have recently purchased brand new cars how important are safety feature and creature comforts to you, especially when test driving different trims and seeing the difference from base to premium package?

We recently purchased a Kia Soul for my mom (she watches our baby so she deserves it). We first looked at base models but ended up with a "plus" trim just because it just felt better put together (as much as Soul can be enhanced ). Bigger engine, navigation, backup camera, leather steering wheel, auto climate control. In the long run these things will just make the driving experience just a bit better for her.

In the past I have usually went with base or just the next step up in trim but I am targeting fully-loaded when I start car shopping 3-5 years from now. Many safety features/creature comforts just can't be easily added aftermarket so just better to get it packaged from the factory.
I try not to fall for the fully loaded stuff. Most of it is just stuff that will need repair eventually and add to the cost, while not adding much, if anything, to the car's value or driving experience.

I go middle of the road. I care about a decent sound system, comfort, the paint job being quality, a good a/c since I live in a hot area, good gas mileage, reliability, enough power to get on the hwy, safety crash tests, and road clearance. I would like NAV and backup camera, if I can get it at reasonable cost without a bunch of other junk.

I do NOT want heated seats, a sunroof/moonroof/window over my head (that affects safety, and will possibly need repair for leaking- YES they leak, even though Bob's Aunt Bernice never had a problem with hers), the super duper audio, a five disc CD player.

Some things I want are not offered any more in most cars, like chrome handles and bumpers.

Old 06-16-2016, 05:26 PM

17,302 posts, read 12,236,388 times
Have never heard of a factory sunroof leaking. Sometimes the drains clog up and that causes something weird like water in the trunk though. Just aftermarket hack jobs that I've heard of actually leaking through the roof.

My 2015 car came with chrome handles...and I'm trying to dechrome it.

Old 06-16-2016, 05:41 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,828,258 times
Me- heated seats. Yeah, I live in Florida, but for about 4 months a year, mornings can be a bit chilly. Turn on the seat, and I never have to turn on the car heater proper, which blasts hot air directly into my eyes and makes them painfully dry.

Spousal Unit- lumbar support. Because his back doesn't contour nicely with a stock car seat, it seems.

I still use a standalone Garmin unit for nav purposes, and have hauled it across the USA and parts of Europe in assorted rental cars. Love having all the important stuff for a trip programmed into it so we can make impulse detours with confidence and not worry about phone data and such.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive