Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 10:11 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,869,746 times

Advertisements

I'm old school, so I love chrome. Engine parts, suspension, etc. But I guess you guys are talking about newer cars, and I don't do anything with those, so I really can't comment.

Don
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2016, 06:39 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,668,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
"Shiny" sells. Its a fact, Not for all folks, but for the Majority. Its kind of like an "Animal Instinct." Many Animals are drawn to "shiny? "Man" is one of them. We may not know it, or admit it, but it is true. The people in high places that build cars know this. It also gives a perception of Value, even if the item is not valuable. We all will turn and look at a Truck that's been decked out in Chrome, with Chrome Bars, Wheels, Exhaust, Steps, and Shocks, as it goes by, but ignore the same truck if it was stock, with no chrome, as it goes by. There are many Animals that will steal and collect Chrome items. I know there are some folks that like that mean, lean. dark, look, but many more like the Chrome trim look, including Bikers, Truckers, and Boaters.

If you took a New Chevy 4WD Step side, with no Chrome at all, and took another one exactly the same, and decked it out in all the chrome you could get, which one do you think most folks would choose?
Not always, personally I think the F-150 FX4 with the charcoal trim looks better than the one with the chrome.

Old 08-11-2016, 10:58 AM

1,201 posts, read 1,225,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
No it's electro plating I used to work in a custom car shop we changed colors of emblems from chrome to gold and vice versa. No painting.

Yes but its nothing like the old chrome; its all plastic with a layer of chrome. I still like big chrome bumpers on trucks.

Old 08-11-2016, 11:24 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,343,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Not always, personally I think the F-150 FX4 with the charcoal trim looks better than the one with the chrome.
Yeah I like the FX4 ans esp the last Gen F150 Tremor not much chrome but still nicely done

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZFbh7jaIuQ

Old 08-11-2016, 01:23 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,720,668 times
Chrome originally came about because of it's excellent resistance to corrosion and was less expensive than Stainless Steel.

Not much of what you see today is Chrome... some is stainless when it comes to trim.

I don't like painted bumpers and door handles because paint simply is not as durable.

Old 08-11-2016, 01:25 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,720,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Chrome originally came about because of it's excellent resistance to corrosion and was less expensive than Stainless Steel.

Not much of what you see today is Chrome... some is stainless when it comes to trim.

I don't like painted bumpers and door handles because paint simply is not as durable.
Case in point... I restore Model A fords and the front radiator shell "Grill" came plated, stainless and painted...

The painted ones are hard to find in good condition because the paint simply is not as durable...

Old 08-11-2016, 02:24 PM

2,802 posts, read 3,193,824 times
Chrome is great when it's in limited fashion. My POV has chrome trim. The proper thing to do, in my opinion, is to put chrome rims on it. My car looks great once it's washed, waxed, tires sprayed with 'wet' gloss, and the chrome rims are shined. It's a major PITA on a semi-truck and quickly becomes extremely high maintenance.

Old 08-11-2016, 07:10 PM

13,584 posts, read 15,682,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Check this out. LOL
My god man -- there's is a difference between a little chrome here and there, and going nuts to the point where the station wagon in Vacation is legitimized.

Old 08-11-2016, 09:44 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,587,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
My god man -- there's is a difference between a little chrome here and there, and going nuts to the point where the station wagon in Vacation is legitimized.
Lol the family truckster

Old 06-11-2017, 07:04 PM

3,006 posts, read 1,496,735 times
The glare can be dangerous. With some new trucks, especially Fords, the entire front end is a wall of glare. That may get ugly in a few years when the lawsuits start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive