Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 09:13 PM

844 posts, read 1,442,865 times

Advertisements

I called a leading big chain repair shop in my area (Jiffy Lube), asked them how much it would cost to check out my transmission leak..the guy suggested that I have a Tranmission drain and fill...so here's my question. How in the hell does a Drain and Fill, resolve a leak issue?

I'm not a car expert, but I'm trying to figure out how that would work. I was kinda annoyed that he even suggested that.

Last edited by TAZORAC; 08-21-2016 at 09:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2016, 09:34 PM

649 posts, read 316,506 times
A drain & fill won't fix a leak unless the pan gasket is leaking & they drop the pan , install a new filter & reinstall the pan with a new gasket .

Old 08-21-2016, 09:37 PM

17,301 posts, read 12,245,675 times
They don't do transmission repair so they are trying to sell you on a service they do provide... Why in the world would you use Jiffy Lube for something like that? Or anything for that matter.

Old 08-21-2016, 09:42 PM

844 posts, read 1,442,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
They don't do transmission repair so they are trying to sell you on a service they do provide... Why in the world would you use Jiffy Lube for something like that? Or anything for that matter.
I went to their website and read something about them checking out tranny leaks...so I called.

Old 08-21-2016, 09:45 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,571,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZORAC View Post
I called a leading big chain repair shop in my area (Jiffy Lube), asked them how much it would cost to check out my transmission leak..the guy suggested that I have a Tranmission drain and fill...so here's my question. How in the hell does a Drain and Fill, resolve a leak issue?

I'm not a car expert, but I'm trying to figure out how that would work. I was kinda annoyed that he even suggested that.

Auto Transmissions don't normally have a Drain Plug, so when you Drain or Service it, you have to remove the pan. You replace it with a New Gasket and New Filter, so "IF" its the Pan leaking, that would fix it. However, the Pan is not the only source of leaks, although the most common. You need a Mechanic to look at it first and determine where the leak is, and get an estimate in writing. You can't do that over the Phone, No more than a Doctor can check out you over the Phone. .

Old 08-21-2016, 09:49 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
Auto Transmissions don't normally have a Drain Plug, so when you Drain or Service it, you have to remove the pan. You replace it with a New Gasket and New Filter, so "IF" its the Pan leaking, that would fix it. However, the Pan is not the only source of leaks, although the most common. You need a Mechanic to look at it first and determine where the leak is, and get an estimate in writing. You can't do that over the Phone, No more than a Doctor can check out you over the Phone. .
this. first find the leak before determining what is needed to repair it. and please, please, PLEASE DO NOT go to jiffy lube. go to a real mechanic instead.

Old 08-21-2016, 09:52 PM

444 posts, read 324,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
Get a Volvo, the 850's etc. Have drain plugs. Its 24mm, I think? Its been awhile. And great cars.

More seriously though, yes, if the tranny is leaking from the pan then dropping pan and new gasket MAY or should. ALL OLD GASKET MATERIAL MUST BE SCRAPED OFF WITH SOMETHING SOFT. OMG.

The PITA of a pan drop turned me off to a lot of cars but it can be done, if you find an aftermarket pan with a plug OR weld in a bung (i dont know...)I could drain my Volvo fluid in like 5 minutes. NOT ALL OF IT but drain and fills are the way to go, NOT FLUSH.

Old 08-22-2016, 06:27 AM

17,172 posts, read 15,382,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hashtagusername View Post
Get a Volvo, the 850's etc. Have drain plugs. Its 24mm, I think? Its been awhile. And great cars.

More seriously though, yes, if the tranny is leaking from the pan then dropping pan and new gasket MAY or should. ALL OLD GASKET MATERIAL MUST BE SCRAPED OFF WITH SOMETHING SOFT. OMG.

The PITA of a pan drop turned me off to a lot of cars but it can be done, if you find an aftermarket pan with a plug OR weld in a bung (i dont know...)I could drain my Volvo fluid in like 5 minutes. NOT ALL OF IT but drain and fills are the way to go, NOT FLUSH.
What's wrong with flushes? A flush gets 100% of the fluid out.

Old 08-22-2016, 06:38 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,989,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZORAC View Post
I called a leading big chain repair shop in my area (Jiffy Lube), asked them how much it would cost to check out my transmission leak...
If they don't check for free then move on. That's true for any repair shop.

Old 08-22-2016, 06:48 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,929,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
What's wrong with flushes? A flush gets 100% of the fluid out.

Depending on the vehicles, flushing trans may not be recommended. Flushing also open up to chances of damaging transmission internal if not done properly.

Having owned quite a few Honda/Acura vehicles, drain/refill 3x is the recommended method.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive