Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 07:02 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,287,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Give it up for charity. The tax break would be whatever it's worth according to KBB.
That's not the case anymore. They actually have to sell it for you to realize the deduction. That's my understanding anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2016, 07:48 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,424,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
That's not the case anymore. They actually have to sell it for you to realize the deduction. That's my understanding anyway.
Does It Make Financial Sense To Donate a Car to a Charity? on Edmunds.com

Old 10-19-2016, 07:55 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,848,066 times
We used to donate cars to the Los Angeles Mission quite often. they use the cars as part of their education program - teach people to work on them, detail them, market them and sell them. They sell them at a huge discount to needy people and then use the moeny to feed and shelter other needy people. We were always able to deduct fair market value and that was often more than we really could have sold the car for.

However when my income increased I met the AMT (Alternative Minimum Tax). Eventually all of my deductions were eaten away, so it did not matter what value we got. We continued donating cars, but stopped taking the deduction.

I am not sure whether AMT rules have changed. I do not think we hit it anymore. We do get deductions once again, so either the rules changed, or our lower income falls below AMT.

Old 10-19-2016, 01:33 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,607,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
With a car that old, it makes sense to keep doing repairs you can do yourself. When it needs something major, junk it or donate it and get a different one. They are only good for so much and when a car has hit that point, it is not that costly to replace it with something a little newer/better. We have gone through a lot of those older cars (Family of 7 people), so we have learned the hard way when to recognize it is time to let it go. I had four down at one time and only really needed 1 for a spare, so I traded on craigslist. A mechanic came and fixed the one I wanted to keep and I gave him the other three broken cars in trade.

Now we do not really have a spare (the spare will be used by our youngest ho is in high school if he ever gets round to getting his license). I would kind of like to get another spare, but I am thinking I might get a Volt to drive to work and let my truck be the spare. However, I really like driving a truck all the time. It really lets me be prepared for anything that comes up.

It is not worth he cost of a Volt just to get the fuel savings, but there is a coolness factor to never having to fill up.
A Tesla never needs to fill up but a Volt still has a gas tank and shouldn't you run it so it uses the gas before it gets "old" and therefore need to fill up from time to time ?

Old 10-19-2016, 01:36 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,607,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
We used to donate cars to the Los Angeles Mission quite often. they use the cars as part of their education program - teach people to work on them, detail them, market them and sell them. They sell them at a huge discount to needy people and then use the moeny to feed and shelter other needy people. We were always able to deduct fair market value and that was often more than we really could have sold the car for.

However when my income increased I met the AMT (Alternative Minimum Tax). Eventually all of my deductions were eaten away, so it did not matter what value we got. We continued donating cars, but stopped taking the deduction.

I am not sure whether AMT rules have changed. I do not think we hit it anymore. We do get deductions once again, so either the rules changed, or our lower income falls below AMT.
In our local Pennysaver paper there are ads from people who pay cash for clunkers. I sold my dented and banged up 1999 SUV for $500.

Old 10-19-2016, 03:10 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,848,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fumbling View Post
A Tesla never needs to fill up but a Volt still has a gas tank and shouldn't you run it so it uses the gas before it gets "old" and therefore need to fill up from time to time ?
Friends and family members I know who have them fill up about twice a year, some three times. They put Stabil in to avoid gumming up. Of course they all work within range of the battery.

A well optioned Tesla S costs $120,000. A volt about $35,000 - $40,000.

Old 10-19-2016, 04:24 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,698,390 times
I've started to see the Tesla SUV in the parking lot at work... electric cars are most definitely increasing here in the SF Bay Area...

I'm always amazed at what I learn about other countries...

In Austria a license plate can be used for up to 3 cars under the same ownership.

The owner pays the insurance and license based on the most expensive and simply moves the license plate from one car to another... only one can be on the road at a time... so that camper that gets used two weeks a year of the Oldtimer is all under the same license plate.

The only added cost is if you want the car insured for loss/damage.... no extra liability cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive