Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 10:44 PM

1,607 posts, read 1,945,993 times

Advertisements

My last new car purchase was a police model 1991 Chevy Caprice Classic. To this day, it is the only vehicle in my stable that I take on long road trips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2016, 11:25 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,955,202 times
I learned to drive in a 71 Lincoln. That was a big car.

Old 10-18-2016, 11:39 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,923,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post

My father had an Olds 98 similar to this one back in 1970. Ah... those were the days. Rear wheel drive, V8 engine, seats six comfortably, huge trunk, 10 MPG, rides like a smooth ocean liner, and pretty safe in a collision. What's not to love?...Cars just aren't as fun any more.
Now that I don't have to do it in the back seat any more, I'll stick with a small car and a large house.

Old 10-19-2016, 02:24 AM

4,505 posts, read 4,622,556 times
The cars from the 70's don't last near as long as they do today. You hardly ever seen a car over 100,000 miles. Most cars were good for about 70,000 miles, if that much. Now a days, its not unusual for a car to have 2 and 3 hundred thousand miles. You never heard of cars in the 70's getting anywhere near that many miles. Totally unheard of in the entire decade of the 70's. There might be a few that got that many miles, but they were about as rare as hens teeth. You use to see a lot more cars broke down on the side of the road than you do now.

I like it that some of these cars are coming back with 2016 features but the body of the car looks like the original from early 70's, such as the Camaro and Dodge Challenger. The Challengers are the same bright colors as they were in the 70's. Bright oranges and red, a hot looking purple color and a lime green. It made the car look that much faster. Most cars in the 70's were not good years for cars as far as looks went. With the exception of the muscle cars and the Volkswagon Bug, most cars from the 70's were were mostly bland and boxy looking.

Old 10-19-2016, 04:15 AM

30,453 posts, read 21,289,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrolman View Post
My last new car purchase was a police model 1991 Chevy Caprice Classic. To this day, it is the only vehicle in my stable that I take on long road trips.
They sure got ugly in 93-94 with the body change and that oil leaking LT1.

Old 10-19-2016, 07:48 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,839,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
The cars from the 70's don't last near as long as they do today. You hardly ever seen a car over 100,000 miles. Most cars were good for about 70,000 miles, if that much. Now a days, its not unusual for a car to have 2 and 3 hundred thousand miles. You never heard of cars in the 70's getting anywhere near that many miles. Totally unheard of in the entire decade of the 70's. There might be a few that got that many miles, but they were about as rare as hens teeth. You use to see a lot more cars broke down on the side of the road than you do now.
I think the question was whether we ever miss the cars from the 1970s, not whether they were better than modern cars.

While I miss the Dukes of Hazzard and BJ Macabe and his Best Friend Bear, they certainly are not "better" than many modern TV shows. They were stupid, fun and non-preachy/non-propaganda, just goofy feel good entertainment. Not better, but I still miss them. Early 1970s cars are the same. They were comparatively primitive, but big fun and comfy. We can still miss the giant dinosaurs of the past even if they did not have the longevity, power, handling or safety of today's cars. They did offer things today's cars do not and we can miss those things without demeaning today's cars.

Old 10-19-2016, 08:06 AM

6,706 posts, read 5,941,631 times
Saying you miss the late 60s-early 70s road behemoths is like saying you miss the air travel of the 1960s. Planes today are quieter, safer, and faster. But the in-flight service in the 1960s and earlier was outstanding; probably there's no equivalent today.

Would I say, I'd like to go back to the 1960s? NO THANK YOU. I prefer modern medicine, modern safe cars, modern airliners, etc.

But there is still something we've lost, or given up in exchange for convenience, lower prices, etc. The car culture in 1970 was simply amazing. Yeah, cars are generally better, and you can still get a big beast; my current passion is a 2012 Town & Country, very helpful in a recent house move, and the kid loves it and refuses to ride in the Prius But something about the Good Old Days....

Old 10-19-2016, 08:10 AM

3,763 posts, read 5,863,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I think the question was whether we ever miss the cars from the 1970s, not whether they were better than modern cars.

While I miss the Dukes of Hazzard and BJ Macabe and his Best Friend Bear, they certainly are not "better" than many modern TV shows. They were stupid, fun and non-preachy/non-propaganda, just goofy feel good entertainment. Not better, but I still miss them. Early 1970s cars are the same. They were comparatively primitive, but big fun and comfy. We can still miss the giant dinosaurs of the past even if they did not have the longevity, power, handling or safety of today's cars. They did offer things today's cars do not and we can miss those things without demeaning today's cars.
Exactly!! I had a new '73 Luxury Lemans as my first car and thought it was a mini Bonneville or Electra, or 98. It also had the 400 4b V8 and as I said, went around everything but the gas station. Loved those big cars even though they do seem primitive by today's standards.

Old 10-19-2016, 08:21 AM

3,298 posts, read 2,475,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
The cars from the 70's don't last near as long as they do today. You hardly ever seen a car over 100,000 miles. Most cars were good for about 70,000 miles, if that much.
Back then I think most adult car owners with families were kinda like my dad: devoted to a particular make (Oldsmobile in his case), and expected to trade it in for a new model every 2-3 years.

Old 10-19-2016, 08:43 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,839,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
Exactly!! I had a new '73 Luxury Lemans as my first car and thought it was a mini Bonneville or Electra, or 98. It also had the 400 4b V8 and as I said, went around everything but the gas station. Loved those big cars even though they do seem primitive by today's standards.
My first car was a 69 LeMans Coupe, but we considered that the "little car" It was only mine in that that was the car for me to drive and I was responsible to repair and maintain it. It really only seated 4 people. Even with 4, it would bottom out all the time. Still it was fun to drive. (Had a 350 with a bbl I think, still quite powerful for its time). Still the big Catalina with its electric windows and luxury seats was a treat when Dad let me use it.

Everything seemed to have a big engine back then, even our Olds station wagon. Most cars had a giant hood and trunk as well. And pretty much all sedans had a lot more room in them (and softer seats) from what I remember. They sure broke a lot though. I do not know how people got by if they did not know how to repair cars, but I did not know very many people who did not know how to repair cars. Rebuilding an engine in your garage over Christmas break was not uncommon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive