Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 03:06 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,839,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
Not true. I have owned new (and newer) compacts, like my MINIs, and none scrape over bumps or divots (unless by "slightest" you mean one foot tall bumps and car sized potholes 6-8" deep).

Actually the mini's ground clearance is 4'9", so it is going to bottom out on potholes that are 3.5" to 4" deep or speed bumps of the same size unless you are barely moving so there is no bounce. I would not want to drive on in Michigan. Big potholes are everywhere. Most of the other small cars I could think of had 5-6" ground clearance. Not much. I am not sure what the 1970s cars had, but it did seem better with most of them.

however not all the older cars had high ground clearance. My LeMans bottomed out constantly. We called it "Sparks" because when you went over a bump or dip at night, everyone would yell sparks and look out the back for the fireworks show.

If you want ground clearance today, there are CUVs and SUVs that are somewhat better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2016, 03:29 PM

125 posts, read 213,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post

Why can't an automaker bring these monsters back? There's definitely a nostalgia market, and that's the kind of car that can just eat up the miles on long highway trips. I'd get one.

Cars just aren't as fun any more.
I cannot believe nobody has mentioned this already...but they have! At least in smaller urban or rural areas the majority of vehicles around me are behemoths that make those early 70's sedans and hardtops look positively svelte by comparison.

What? There are great dinosaurs roaming the highways and byways of this great continent again? Yup. And with $2.50/gal gas hanging around, they probably will for quite some time.

The beasts I speak of are trucks. Well, not trucks in the sense of what you and I grew up with, where there was enough room for a person to drive and maybe a second person to help unload, but the modern, sub-urban, minivan-posing, driveway-hogging, Gas N' Sip-foraging utility vehicle. Four doors, a full frame (sometimes), at least 8 cylinders, 10 - 14 mpg, and room for 5-7 people. Sound familiar? The desires of Americans are manifest in the biggest vehicle they can buy, 'cause we love room! We would rather commute in something twice as expensive to operate, because one day we might take six people to lunch or tow a rented U-haul and it's un-American not to have that reserve capacity.

For a rough comparison, I've picked the interior size winner that held the crown through all of the seventies (in width according to GM, who might be a little biased the '72 Cadillac De Ville, and in the other corner, in the spirit of monsters from the isle of Japan, the '15 Armada!

Examples:
1972 Sedan De Ville vs 2015 Nissan Armada
Weight 5400lbs/5963lbs
Length 227.4in/209in
Horsepower 375 SAE/390 NET (modern NET numbers are much better in reality)
MPG 10-14 / 14-19 (admittedly more accurate measurements today)
Front Shoulder Room 64.3in/63.8in (wow that's a close one! )

So really, they're still around, just safer and taller. How about that? What would be interesting is comparing prices in equivalent dollars, but I'm just not that patient of a researcher.

*Stats from Google, NissanUSA, and Wikipedia. Not intended to be perfect, just close enuf.

Old 10-19-2016, 03:30 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,941,171 times
Yes, I miss the cars of the 70's

Old 10-19-2016, 03:45 PM

2,983 posts, read 3,094,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Actually the mini's ground clearance is 4'9", so it is going to bottom out on potholes that are 3.5" to 4" deep or speed bumps of the same size unless you are barely moving so there is no bounce.
If you're driving through potholes like that, you get what you deserve. Even in higher ground clearance vehicles, you're gonna bend a rim or bend a suspension arm unless you slow down. IN 40 years of driving on both coasts I've NEVER driven through a pothole deeper than about an inch and even then it was a small one with a 4x4 that I didn't care about.

Point is, a blanket statement like I was responding to is stupid, as it's barely true for ONE small area of the country.

Old 10-19-2016, 04:45 PM

1,951 posts, read 2,301,928 times
1974 Buick La Sabre Land Yacht cruising Hwy 285 in the mountains listening to KBCO ...

Old 10-19-2016, 05:27 PM

4,505 posts, read 4,622,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch33 View Post
Back then I think most adult car owners with families were kinda like my dad: devoted to a particular make (Oldsmobile in his case), and expected to trade it in for a new model every 2-3 years.
Yes, I agree. A lot of people were very loyal to their car brands. They were as loyal to their car brand as they were to their political party. My dad's side of the family, the only cars they bought were Fords. Most people don't have that brand loyalty today. In fact it's pretty much unheard of. The last 3 cars I bought were a Mazda Protégé and two Mazda 3's. I didn't buy them out of loyalty to Mazda. I bought them because I knew they were good reliable cars and they were a very affordable price and they didn't look cheap on the inside or out.

Old 10-19-2016, 05:48 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,726,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
If you're driving through potholes like that, you get what you deserve. Even in higher ground clearance vehicles, you're gonna bend a rim or bend a suspension arm unless you slow down. IN 40 years of driving on both coasts I've NEVER driven through a pothole deeper than about an inch and even then it was a small one with a 4x4 that I didn't care about.

Point is, a blanket statement like I was responding to is stupid, as it's barely true for ONE small area of the country.
Never in my 50 years of driving have I ever heard of anyone spending 40 years limited to driving up and down their own driveway.

Old 10-19-2016, 08:43 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,560,659 times
Yes, I love the old, big cars. And to this day I owned meaty, 'metally' cars. I feel safer having metal around me, even if it's just psychological.

Old 10-19-2016, 09:52 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,876,935 times
No. Ugly a$$ gas guzzling boats.

Old 10-19-2016, 10:06 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,178,472 times
big clumsy gas guzzling beasts, grew up around them and don't miss them at all. If you feel the need for something large by huge you can still buy a Suburban (we own one and work it like a rented mule) so really they have never left.

And news flash, cars are getting bigger every year. The MINI models keep growing and growing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive