Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 08:38 PM

649 posts, read 316,626 times

Advertisements

3.7 V6 jeep engines also have the thermostat in the block end of the lower hose . Chrysler engine . The upper hose gets hot first but after the thermostat opens the lower hose should also get hot .

Copy & pasted this from previous post , It's what I'd try first .

have you checked the thermostat itself? yes i know it is new, but sometimes they are defective, even new. you can test when the thermostat opens by heating a pan of water with the thermostat in the water, and an accurate thermometer. when the thermostat starts to open, check the water temperature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2017, 10:56 PM

8,558 posts, read 10,984,238 times
I don't know how you "bled" the system, but if you didn't burp it, it won't work.
Also, extremely important, when burping the engine, you MUST have the heater on, and the fan turned to high.
That way the water in the heater core goes through the cycle.
You can bleed, or burp all day, but if the heater isn't turned on, and fan on high, you will never get all the air out.

Bob.

Old 01-20-2017, 11:13 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,319,577 times
In a prior post someone said burping a car with a bleeder screw isn't necessary, you simply open the bleeder screw and add coolant until it's coming out as a stream, then close it up. That's what I did.

Old 01-20-2017, 11:19 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,306,326 times
I'm a noob mechanic at best.

I installed my first thermostat (actually two) on my jeep patriot fairly recently. Everything was working good until it decided to run hot when it was -40 degrees outside. Luckily I overheated right in front of my friends house, flabbergasted on why I was running hot AGAIN after brand new t-stats. He squeezed the radiator hose multiple times with the cap off and we saw lots of air bubbles and the coolant level went down quite a bit. Added some more coolant and have driven more than 200 miles since the with no problems at all. Running colder than ever.

Damn air pockets! I checked the coolant level after a short drive right after replacing thermostats but never thought to squeeze the hose to remove air. If there's another way to bleed the coolant system of air on my vehicle, I am unaware of it. Learn something new everyday.

Oh well, air pockets probably the best case scenario here for me. Never expected to overheat at -40 degrees.

ETA, just read about the heater being on to burp system. The car was off when I did this. Should I try one more time with heater on or leave it as is since running good now?

Old 01-21-2017, 07:11 AM

2,158 posts, read 3,595,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
I have never seen a motor with a thermostat on the lower radiator hose.
It is about 50/50 now. Inlet thermostats are now quite common.

Don in Austin

Old 01-21-2017, 07:24 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,275,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
"I have a 1998 Nissan Altima. It's been doing OK but ofcourse as it's a 1998 I only paid $400 for I've been smoking out some piddly things to take care of."

"We have a 2000 Toyota Corolla VE. For the past week or sowe've been hearing this "woom, woom, woom" sound from the right-front wheel which you can clearly hear it at lower speeds, as you speed up the sound speeds up with it up until around 45 mph or so at which point you can no longer hear it (but I'm sure it's still occurring, it's merely that you can't HEAR it."

"I have noticed that the overflow tank fills up with what "steams off" from the main radiator, and then it never flows back into the main radiator. Today I got a siphon hose thing so I can empty it outand return it back to the main unit (or dispose of it etc). As long as I have sufficient coolant in the main unit, it doesn't run hot."

"OK, so I know jack about automotive electrical systems.Yesterday I went to jump-start one of my cars with the other car. It jumped just fine and I drove it around for an hour and a half with no problem."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
OP is a prime example of someone who should not be buying cheap cars.
There was the whole GMC Envoy debacle, as well.

Normally I advocate for buying cheap used cars. The cars I've bought for my own personal use over the last 20 years have ranged in price from free to $450, and none have given me any more problems than you would expect with a vehicle that would have cost 10 times that or more; they're just older and uglier.

But you have to have some mechanical ability, or a friend with some mechanical ability, or a mechanic that you trust to look at a car before you buy it in order to roll with this type of vehicle. The OP obviously isn't able to sniff out problems when evaluating these beasts for purchase, and isn't able to deal very efficiently with the problems when they arise.

There are people who really just need to make the sacrifices necessary to always drive a late-model car. The OP appears to be one of those people.

Old 01-21-2017, 09:01 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,319,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
There was the whole GMC Envoy debacle, as well.

Normally I advocate for buying cheap used cars. The cars I've bought for my own personal use over the last 20 years have ranged in price from free to $450, and none have given me any more problems than you would expect with a vehicle that would have cost 10 times that or more; they're just older and uglier.

But you have to have some mechanical ability, or a friend with some mechanical ability, or a mechanic that you trust to look at a car before you buy it in order to roll with this type of vehicle. The OP obviously isn't able to sniff out problems when evaluating these beasts for purchase, and isn't able to deal very efficiently with the problems when they arise.

There are people who really just need to make the sacrifices necessary to always drive a late-model car. The OP appears to be one of those people.
The problem with that is either way it's almost to the point of seemingly half of your money going towards cars one way or the other, either in the form of high payments or constant repairs. I'm trying to make it to where neither one occur so much, to where you buy a car without it being so much and then for the most part you can just drive it period (obviously you will need to check the oil etc periodically, I understand that).

That 2000 Toyota Corolla has come pretty close. The only issues have been the brakes, last April I think it was I had to have pads rotors and calipers replaced, 2 months ago I had to have the stoplight sensor switch replaced (about $55) and then last week the inner tire rod ends. Otherwise you just drive it and other than adding about a quart of oil a month due to a very small valve cover gasket leak, you can just DRIVE it period. I've only had to add power steering and coolant ONCE that entire time.

The only irritant is that with respect to the brakes, I've done those myself before but only the pads. Once I tried doing the pads and rotors and calipers on a different car and it was a nightmare. I did the driver's side perfectly in 45 minutes, the passenger's side took me THREE DAYS and that was with people helping me. To me if side A took 45 minutes, so should side B. If it doesn't work that way, it OUGHT to work that way, AND without me having to practically go to college for it. Thus, now years later with the Corolla, and with me having more money at the time and still feeling like it was a good car, I had a shop do it. No big deal.

I do try, but I run into things that are hard owing to the laws of physics, basically having to take the car apart to get to something, having to work in cramped spaces and you can't see or feel what you're doing, and the same issue cropping up again. A good example is the stoplight sensor switch issue, if it fails you now have no brake lights, an obviously huge hazard.

Well as I said we had it changed about 6 weeks ago, yesterday the new one was now acting up. Later on my wife said it was now OK, but given that its location makes it HARD to change, I have to quickly arrange for a repair, on a Friday, to rectify something so simple.

It upset me in terms of the part failing that quickly. and it not being something I could quickly do myself like changing the bulb on a lamp. I was like "can't they make them better than that, failing after a piddly six weeks? Are you serious?" Granted, if I could change it myself that would be fine, the part is only $15, but ultimately the responsibility to me is that whoever made the part, DO IT RIGHT!!! Failing after less than 2 months is inexcusable, and it puts you in a bind, especially when it happens on a Friday when garages are closed.

If in this case I can EASILY determine that it's the water pump, radiator, or that I did the thermostat wrong, and upon it being fixed all is well again, so be it. If it can just "hold on" for a month until I can get another $1500-2000 car that for the most part RUNS, it's done all I could ask for. I'm willing to try and tinker (after all I changed the thermostat, first time ever), but I have no interest in car issues practically taking over my life money wise or maintenance wise. Give me something like that 2000 Corolla for $1500 and then have ABC Auto make simple parts like a $15 switch RIGHT rather than failing after barely 2 months, and I'm in.

Last edited by shyguylh; 01-21-2017 at 09:10 AM..

Old 01-21-2017, 09:07 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,275,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
If in this case I can EASILY determine that it's the water pump, radiator, or that I did the thermostat wrong,
This is the sort of thing I was talking about. It actually doesn't sound like this problem is being caused by any of these things. At the problem certainly isn't limited to these things, at any rate.

Old 01-21-2017, 11:03 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,056,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
The problem with that is either way it's almost to the point of seemingly half of your money going towards cars one way or the other, either in the form of high payments or constant repairs. I'm trying to make it to where neither one occur so much, to where you buy a car without it being so much and then for the most part you can just drive it period (obviously you will need to check the oil etc periodically, I understand that).

That 2000 Toyota Corolla has come pretty close. The only issues have been the brakes, last April I think it was I had to have pads rotors and calipers replaced, 2 months ago I had to have the stoplight sensor switch replaced (about $55) and then last week the inner tire rod ends. Otherwise you just drive it and other than adding about a quart of oil a month due to a very small valve cover gasket leak, you can just DRIVE it period. I've only had to add power steering and coolant ONCE that entire time.

The only irritant is that with respect to the brakes, I've done those myself before but only the pads. Once I tried doing the pads and rotors and calipers on a different car and it was a nightmare. I did the driver's side perfectly in 45 minutes, the passenger's side took me THREE DAYS and that was with people helping me. To me if side A took 45 minutes, so should side B. If it doesn't work that way, it OUGHT to work that way, AND without me having to practically go to college for it. Thus, now years later with the Corolla, and with me having more money at the time and still feeling like it was a good car, I had a shop do it. No big deal.

I do try, but I run into things that are hard owing to the laws of physics, basically having to take the car apart to get to something, having to work in cramped spaces and you can't see or feel what you're doing, and the same issue cropping up again. A good example is the stoplight sensor switch issue, if it fails you now have no brake lights, an obviously huge hazard.

Well as I said we had it changed about 6 weeks ago, yesterday the new one was now acting up. Later on my wife said it was now OK, but given that its location makes it HARD to change, I have to quickly arrange for a repair, on a Friday, to rectify something so simple.

It upset me in terms of the part failing that quickly. and it not being something I could quickly do myself like changing the bulb on a lamp. I was like "can't they make them better than that, failing after a piddly six weeks? Are you serious?" Granted, if I could change it myself that would be fine, the part is only $15, but ultimately the responsibility to me is that whoever made the part, DO IT RIGHT!!! Failing after less than 2 months is inexcusable, and it puts you in a bind, especially when it happens on a Friday when garages are closed.

If in this case I can EASILY determine that it's the water pump, radiator, or that I did the thermostat wrong, and upon it being fixed all is well again, so be it. If it can just "hold on" for a month until I can get another $1500-2000 car that for the most part RUNS, it's done all I could ask for. I'm willing to try and tinker (after all I changed the thermostat, first time ever), but I have no interest in car issues practically taking over my life money wise or maintenance wise. Give me something like that 2000 Corolla for $1500 and then have ABC Auto make simple parts like a $15 switch RIGHT rather than failing after barely 2 months, and I'm in.
All your threads seem to end up in the 'blame someone else' mode.

Old 01-21-2017, 12:05 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,194,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
It is about 50/50 now. Inlet thermostats are now quite common.

Don in Austin
I was not aware of it until some of you mentioned it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive