Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 07:07 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,080,222 times

Advertisements

The battery runs all electrical components, not the alternator. The only purpose of the alternator is to keep the battery charged. The amount of current going into the battery is controlled by the voltage regulator which is internal in the alternator. The battery is maintained at about 12.6 volts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2017, 07:14 PM

22,662 posts, read 24,605,343 times
Sulphated battery.............test acid with a hydrometer, trickle-charge it for 48 hours, then do a retest.

Old 01-26-2017, 11:13 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
The battery runs all electrical components, not the alternator. The only purpose of the alternator is to keep the battery charged. The amount of current going into the battery is controlled by the voltage regulator which is internal in the alternator. The battery is maintained at about 12.6 volts.
If the motor runs when jump-started, but not without a jump start, it means that the battery is not supplying enough current for the ECU and the starter to work. The alternator does in fact supply all the current needed for the motor and all the electrical components to work when the battery is not holding voltage. After a jump start you can run the motor all day long, even if the battery does not hold a charge. But the soonest you turn the motor off, it won't start again without a jump start.

But alternators can malfunction if it's always trying to charge a dead battery. It may not happen right away, but sooner of later it will.
No, but seriously: Your alternator doesn't charge your battery the way you think it does.

Old 01-27-2017, 12:06 AM

1,668 posts, read 1,487,871 times
The 14.2v with the engine running proves the alternator is working.

Old 01-27-2017, 12:06 AM

572 posts, read 435,684 times
If it's the alternator, you wouldn't be able to drive it at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post
Yes that's true for the OP, but its only required if you have fuel injection. I learned that one too.

I had a china made lighter socket power cable for my gps break while using it once. The plug that goes in to the gps came off (the mini usb head), and I heard a pop through the stereo. It took about an hour for my battery to go from perfect to completely dead. So dead that the fuel injection was sputtering and couldn't keep up, and using the window switch was near killing it, it eventually lost all the juice and couldn't run the fuel injection then died. I replaced the alternator at a rest stop, got a (5 minute) jump, and was good to go.
Sorry, as to the bolded, that's not true; Although not advisable, it can be driven for the Reserve Capacity of the battery, until it is run down and stone dead. This is called "cycling" the battery and isn't good, but it is why the battery light lights when the alternator fails; because you then run on the battery.

A small car with no electrical load on a hot day (? Cold day too, I suppose) can run for a few hours approximately off just a battery, if you had to maybe get to work with no alternator. Not adviseable, simply being technical here.

I've a few cars with non-charging alternators, so I speak from experience on this.

Old 01-27-2017, 01:36 AM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie4 View Post

Sorry, as to the bolded, that's not true; Although not advisable, it can be driven for the Reserve Capacity of the battery, until it is run down and stone dead. This is called "cycling" the battery and isn't good, but it is why the battery light lights when the alternator fails; because you then run on the battery.

A small car with no electrical load on a hot day (? Cold day too, I suppose) can run for a few hours approximately off just a battery, if you had to maybe get to work with no alternator. Not adviseable, simply being technical here.

I've a few cars with non-charging alternators, so I speak from experience on this.
Not true on a cold day, nor on a day where you are driving with the AC and the blower ON. If the alternator malfunctions, the battery lasts perhaps 20 minutes on a lucky day if you have the lights, and the blower running. All depends on the battery capacity status versus the load, battery's age, and temperature to name a few. On a new and fully charged battery you may have more time, however. On a hot day the radiator's fan also draws a lot of power, which in turn discharges a battery if the alternator is not working.

By the way, old automobiles used a very small amount of battery power if you turned the lights and the AC/Heater blower off. Just about everything was manual. But new automobiles have electric cooling fans, electric gages, an ECU, electric fuel injection system, ABS that becomes active when you touch the brake pedal, and so on.

Last edited by RayinAK; 01-27-2017 at 02:17 AM..

Old 01-27-2017, 02:47 AM

1,995 posts, read 2,078,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Not true on a cold day, nor on a day where you are driving with the AC and the blower ON. If the alternator malfunctions, the battery lasts perhaps 20 minutes on a lucky day if you have the lights, and the blower running. All depends on the battery capacity status versus the load, battery's age, and temperature to name a few. On a new and fully charged battery you may have more time, however. On a hot day the radiator's fan also draws a lot of power, which in turn discharges a battery if the alternator is not working.

By the way, old automobiles used a very small amount of battery power if you turned the lights and the AC/Heater blower off. Just about everything was manual. But new automobiles have electric cooling fans, electric gages, an ECU, electric fuel injection system, ABS that becomes active when you touch the brake pedal, and so on.
Quote:

Yes that's true,

I should clarify, what I meant was you't can drive on it regularly. You can, but only until you kill the battery. IT HAPPENED TO ME. Mine went from no problems at all, then had my alternator get fried while driving. It was completely dead about an hour later, and 15 minutes of that I was pulled over and truck was shut off.

I said it wrong, but from the post, I told why.

Old 01-27-2017, 03:57 PM

1,668 posts, read 1,487,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd393 View Post
The 14.2v with the engine running proves the alternator is working.
Really! If the alternator is putting out 13.8 to 14.2 volts it is working. Nothing else matters. The trouble is elsewhere. Likely bad battery or bad battery connections.

Old 01-27-2017, 04:07 PM

176 posts, read 234,923 times
took the battery back to walmart, they ran test, battery was bad and they gave me a free replacement.

thanks for all the help.

Old 01-27-2017, 05:41 PM

2,158 posts, read 3,594,283 times
Quote:
If Its the alternator, a jump won't help you because the battery is run so down it won't be able to start the car except after charged up for a long time.
Say what? If the cables are stout and well connected they will[provide most of the current the starter needs.
Quote:

Battery light is usually, but not always, on if it is the alternator.

Got a multimeter? If so, you don't need a load tester...

*edit: Looked at your nunbers. Alternator at maximum output when its running, looks good.

Sounds like a weak battery to me.
That 14.2 volts is good, but is that with or without headlights, Ac, etc? If without, it might drop into the discharge range with increased electrical load.

Don in Austin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive