Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2017, 08:21 PM

926 posts, read 828,850 times

Advertisements

I just ran the VIN number, and their has been no reported accidents and it looks like the previous owner is from New Jersey but I am very confused. The car's mileage is way off than what it's advertised. The VIN report shows only 17,000 miles and as listed for sale at a FIAT dealership in New Jersey for $40,000.
Luckily, it names the dealership that it's for sale at, so I went to that dealerships website and I found a gray car with the same VIN number as the one in NY, which was black. The VIN number comes to a gray car as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2017, 08:29 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,255,993 times
Well, that's not good! I found this...

2013 BMW 5 Series | KDK Auto Brokers Inc. | Brunswick, OH

A year older, but also cheaper with lower miles. Don't know if there's really much difference between a '13 and a '14.
Says it had rear end damage in the past. That's why it's cheap.

Doesn't mean it's not ok.
My mom's CTS also had a Carfax damage report with a airbag deployment.
So we drove it, looked, listened and felt carefully for any signs of an issue.
There was nothing and there hasn't been anything. Turned out to be a perfect car and she saved $4K.

Last edited by eaton53; 03-04-2017 at 08:40 PM..

Old 03-04-2017, 08:32 PM

Luckily (I guess) I typed the VIN in wrong.
It comes back from a previous owner in Connecticut and no accidents. It says the last guy who owned it paid $62,000! What a deal for me!
I did find detailed information on the service records. The car was served for 4 different things, on 2 different dates

Drivertrain malfunction warning message which caused the engine to go into reduce power, blank display, LED headlight malfunction warning, faulty LED main light module.

Are any of those troubling? It doesn't say their was actually an issue with drivertrain, it just says a warning message displayed.

Also this may be a stupid question, but i'm curious, if I buy the car, would the title be in New York even though I have a North Carolina drivers license? Could their be issues/extra expenses for registration from buying a car out of state?

Old 03-04-2017, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer705 View Post
Luckily (I guess) I typed the VIN in wrong.
It comes back from a previous owner in Connecticut and no accidents. It says the last guy who owned it paid $62,000! What a deal for me!
I did find detailed information on the service records. The car was served for 4 different things, on 2 different dates

Drivertrain malfunction warning message which caused the engine to go into reduce power, blank display, LED headlight malfunction warning, faulty LED main light module.

Are any of those troubling? It doesn't say their was actually an issue with drivertrain, it just says a warning message displayed.

Also this may be a stupid question, but i'm curious, if I buy the car, would the title be in New York even though I have a North Carolina drivers license? Could their be issues/extra expenses for registration from buying a car out of state?
I've bought cars out of state. Happens all the time. It's not a problem.
Cars break. Just make sure everything works now.

LED headlight... pretty common now, but fancy stuff on a 2014 car.
My 2005 C-Class had xenons and 1996 STS had rainsense wipers... cutting edge for those days.

Old 03-05-2017, 09:46 AM

Some good news I suppose, the car is in fact real!
I made sure their were other 2014 BMW 535i's for sale in NYC between the $20,000 and $23,000 mark to see how the car market is their and I found a lot of results so it seems legit.

I think I will fly there Friday.
If I do buy the car, should I pay for it entirely in cash or what would be a reasonable down payment?

Old 03-05-2017, 10:46 AM

Quote:
I made sure their were other 2014 BMW 535i's for sale in NYC between the $20,000 and $23,000 mark to see how the car market is their and I found a lot of results so it seems legit.

If I do buy the car, should I pay for it entirely in cash or what would be a reasonable down payment?
Put some cash down and finance the rest.
Interest rates are still pretty low... no more than 2.5%

Old 03-05-2017, 07:19 PM

127 posts, read 147,162 times
Quote:

Definitely not a car I would want to own off warranty. While you're at it contact your local BMW Center (BMW speak for dealer) and ask what their hourly mechanic labor charge is. For my leased i3 BMW (on warranty) the paperwork last time indicated $185/hr and that's in the Boston area.

Plus consider the hidden costs of premium fuel, more expensive oil changes & maintenance, plus higher insurance premiums as most insurers deem young male drivers particularly of sports cars to be risky when underwriting.

I don't know why you feel the need to rush to NY. Have you checked Atlanta? That is among the best places to buy a vehicle, new or used as there is a lot of inventory and competition amongst dealers.

Old 03-05-2017, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewban View Post
Definitely not a car I would want to own off warranty. While you're at it contact your local BMW Center (BMW speak for dealer) and ask what their hourly mechanic labor charge is. For my leased i3 BMW (on warranty) the paperwork last time indicated $185/hr and that's in the Boston area.

Plus consider the hidden costs of premium fuel, more expensive oil changes & maintenance, plus higher insurance premiums as most insurers deem young male drivers particularly of sports cars to be risky when underwriting.

I don't know why you feel the need to rush to NY. Have you checked Atlanta? That is among the best places to buy a vehicle, new or used as there is a lot of inventory and competition amongst dealers.
My current car uses premium fuel and has way worst mpg than the 535.
I'll contact my local BMW dealership tomorrow, It'll probably be around the same as my Lexus. I just checked Atlanta and their 535i market is limited and nothing is under $21,000 that is a 2014 except one that has like 110,000 miles.
I did an insurance quote and got $212 per month, not too far from what I am paying now.

Old 03-06-2017, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewban View Post
While you're at it contact your local BMW Center (BMW speak for dealer) and ask what their hourly mechanic labor charge is. For my leased i3 BMW (on warranty) the paperwork last time indicated $185/hr and that's in the Boston area.
Don't take an out of warranty BMW to a BMW dealer. Problem solved.
I never took my Jag, MB, Saab or Cadillacs to any new car dealer. I took them to my indy mechanic.
I take my Merkur to him now. He gives the same answer when asked if he can fix something... "It's a car". And then he fixes it.

I got my oil changed at a Chevy dealer. Yes... they will change the oil on a BMW. Full synthetic is about $60-$70... they send me coupons, too.
Driving only 4K miles a year, there's a good chance that's the only thing he'll have to do.

Last edited by eaton53; 03-06-2017 at 04:25 AM..

Old 03-06-2017, 06:59 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,471,110 times
Just a word about technology. You can always install aftermarket, and a lot of times, you get a better product. I'm an IT guy and I love updated tech in cars (in terms of tech that makes life easier in the cockpit!) Most of that stuff can be installed after the fact, and you eventually realize that half of it you don't need, use, or even care for. I remember renting a car that had a backup camera. Never used it! I'm strictly a mirrors type of guy and that's just what I'm used to using since I was 16 years old.

That being said, you might want to be extra cautious about vehicles from the north. Higher chance of those vehicles being driven a lot through salt, snow, ice, and higher chance of rust underneath - although if you're looking at something that's just a few years old, that might not matter. Southern cars, you have to worry about flood cars, but less likely to buy a car that is going to have rust issues. At any rate, it's something you'd want to inspect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive