Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2017, 07:17 PM

902 posts, read 863,208 times

Advertisements

I believe P.T. Barnum may have met Archer in a previous life.

"There's a sucker born every minute."

Even if Mr. Barnum didn't actually say this; if the shoe fits, wear it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2017, 07:24 PM

926 posts, read 828,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
Well, now you're talking about a Genesis G80 (I was referring to the old Hyundai Genesis), a car with a huge number of gizmos.
I have driven one of these as well and am impressed with the value of its feature set.
That car can do everything but sing and tap dance... there's just about every feature you can think of.
If it were a Mercedes, the G80 I drove would've cost $75K. There's that much stuff.

What it is not is a sports sedan. It's a luxury car. Think Lexus ES.
I'm not too impressed with Lexus, I find their designs to be unappealing with the exception of their SUV's.

I am very impressed with the Genesis, which is why a few threads ago I mentioned the Kia Cadenza as I figure they might be similar.

Old 02-25-2017, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campfires View Post
I believe P.T. Barnum may have met Archer in a previous life.

"There's a sucker born every minute."

Even if Mr. Barnum didn't actually say this; if the shoe fits, wear it.
I don't understand?

Old 02-25-2017, 07:29 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,255,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer705 View Post
I'm not too impressed with Lexus, I find their designs to be unappealing with the exception of their SUV's.

I am very impressed with the Genesis, which is why a few threads ago I mentioned the Kia Cadenza as I figure they might be similar.
I've also driven the Cadenza. Sales guy offered me a leftover one for $30K... rather cheap for what it is.
On of my first thoughts after buying the G80 was that only a fool would choose a Cadenza over it.

I kind of have a thing for the K900. It's a odd bird, like the VW Phaeton, another car I like that no one bought.

Old 02-25-2017, 08:33 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
Quote:
I didn't know BMW had wagons.
Gas and diesel prices in most European countries are very high because of fuel taxes, so if people have to Haul Things, most of them end up going with the wagons that get far better kilometers per liter than an SUV. So if the Germans are developing and manufacturing them for more local EU use, it's not that hard for them to make a few wagons to North American spec as part of that production run.

Old 02-25-2017, 09:36 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Gas and diesel prices in most European countries are very high because of fuel taxes, so if people have to Haul Things, most of them end up going with the wagons that get far better kilometers per liter than an SUV. So if the Germans are developing and manufacturing them for more local EU use, it's not that hard for them to make a few wagons to North American spec as part of that production run.
Sort of. Fuel costs certainly dictate what most people drive. What you see in Europe mostly is tiny cars towing small trailers. During summer vacation season, they're everywhere. With fuel prices like that, you're not going to pay for the fuel burn of even a midsize wagon unless you're quite affluent. You run a subcompact diesel that has a trailer hitch for those occasional times you need to haul something. Hatchbacks are very popular compared to the US. Wagons less so. With middle class cars in Europe, young people tend to buy hatchbacks because it fits with an active lifestyle. Old people drive sedans.

Wagons are also an issue in Europe because they're longer. It's brutal to find parking spots. Only luxury cars are longer because you're wealthy enough that you don't park on the street.

Old 02-26-2017, 03:40 PM

I was at Cary Automall today and immediately began drooling over the Audi's. I was wondering which one would be more financially smart?
2014 Audi A4 Premium Plus for $24,000
2017 Audi A4 Premium Plus 2.0T TFSI S-Tronic dual clutch LEASE $329 per month 15k miles per year $2500 down after trade in ($6000) for 36 months
I can see pros and cons of both situations, like I can't sell the 2017 later on. However, the 2017 is always under warranty while I think the 2014 is on its last year. 15,000 miles seems like enough, I drive about 8 miles per day to work, so that is about 2000 miles per year. I also see that by the end of the lease I'll be 27 and probably about the time I'll need a minivan!

Old 02-26-2017, 04:17 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,255,993 times
Quote:
I was at Cary Automall today and immediately began drooling over the Audi's. I was wondering which one would be more financially smart?
2014 Audi A4 Premium Plus for $24,000
2017 Audi A4 Premium Plus 2.0T TFSI S-Tronic dual clutch LEASE $329 per month 15k miles per year $2500 down after trade in ($6000) for 36 months
I can see pros and cons of both situations, like I can't sell the 2017 later on. However, the 2017 is always under warranty while I think the 2014 is on its last year. 15,000 miles seems like enough, I drive about 8 miles per day to work, so that is about 2000 miles per year. I also see that by the end of the lease I'll be 27 and probably about the time I'll need a minivan!
You drive 2000 miles a year?
Buy an older car. You drive so little that it's probably not gonna break.

My 82 year old mom drives her '08 CTS that much. It's never in the shop.

Old 02-26-2017, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
You drive 2000 miles a year?
Buy an older car. You drive so little that it's probably not gonna break.

My 82 year old mom drives her '08 CTS that much. It's never in the shop.
Oops, actually 4000 miles per year to work. I forgot to add the return. I could get less mile leases and the estimate would probably be cheaper. I live right off a freeway that takes me straight to work, so my commute is short in distance, though long in time.

Old 02-26-2017, 04:52 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,483,506 times
My general rule of thumb is 1/10 of your net worth max.. if that's not enough to buy a decent car, then go without a car and use Uber/Lyft.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive