Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 10:13 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocopsonite View Post
We have two Ford Explorers -- 1991 (one of the first) and 2006. Both have been excellent in terms of reliability and cost of ownership. The '91 is manual transmission and the 2006 is automatic. Both got better mileage than the 2006 Infiniti M sedan I drove for 10 years.
What does that have to do with a crossover unibody Explorer? I doubt you could find one part in those cars that is used in a new one.

The new Explorer is a minivan with hinged rear doors built on the Ford 500/Taurus platform. If what you're looking for is the practicality, interior volume, and ride comfort of a minivan without the stigma of sliding rear doors, it's a great option. It's a superb suburban grocery getter and family hauler. It has nothing in common with a real SUV since it's not particularly off-road capable and the towing capacity is marginal. Most of them only have a 2,000 or 3,000 pound towing capacity. They can be ordered to handle 5,000 pounds but that is pretty feeble compared to a previous generation V8 Explorer/Mountaineer that were up around 7,000 pounds.

I'll be curious to see their long term durability. A police interceptor Crown Vic stayed in the fleet forever. Now that police interceptor Explorers are pretty much ubiquitous, we'll see in another half dozen years how they hold up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2017, 10:49 AM

6,556 posts, read 7,136,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
I just told you my experience in owning one......Aluminum corrosion is a real issue on Explorers/Mustangs. As I mentioned, google Ford Explorer hood corrosion and let google be the bearer of bad news....

I have owned all three (Ford/Dodge/GM) and I don't see any reason to buy another Ford. My last purchase was a new Tahoe. Great vehicle and essentially the same price point as a loaded Explorer.

Another fantastic Ford Explorer issue is the TSB that recognizes that under full throttle acceleration there is a burning/exhaust smell in the interior. Mine had it, Ford removed the rear bumper/applied sealant to prevent exhaust smell from getting in. Best part.....it never fixed the issue. If you run the car at anything less than full throttle it doesn't smell but if you hit it, you need to roll down the windows to get fresh air inside.

Makes you feel great about spending 45K on a new car huh......junk as I said before!
https://www.classaction.org/explorer-exhaust-leaks

I remember a Ford tech commenting on a thread a month or so ago....something about how the exhaust system was routed was causing problems with another component? (Not the exhaust leak) Hopefully they will post on this tread.

Last edited by wamer27; 02-06-2017 at 11:00 AM..

Old 02-06-2017, 10:50 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,828,984 times
Car Reliability Comparisons check here first.

Old 02-06-2017, 11:35 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,667,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
Way off on your Ford numbers

Cars for Sale: New 2017 Ford Explorer in 4WD Sport, Sacramento CA: 95841 Details - Sport Utility - Autotrader

Cars for Sale: Certified 2014 Ford Explorer in 4WD Sport, Aiea HI: 96701 Details - Sport Utility - Autotrader

Both are highest for each year, apples to apples. $59-39k

The cheapest new is $38k and cheapest used with 60k is $24k

Not according to NADA. Those numbers came directly from the NADA website using my zip code. Feel free to put in the exact info I put above and post the results.

Old 02-06-2017, 11:44 AM

455 posts, read 598,356 times
I have one in the current generation and really enjoy it.

And GeoffD, shouldn't you be back on the vortex?

Old 02-06-2017, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
Not according to NADA. Those numbers came directly from the NADA website using my zip code. Feel free to put in the exact info I put above and post the results.
The only way you can really say anything intelligent about used car prices is the auction price. Around me, that's the Galves database. KBB and NADA aren't particularly real world.

Old 02-06-2017, 11:52 AM

Quote:
I just told you my experience in owning one......Aluminum corrosion is a real issue on Explorers/Mustangs. As I mentioned, google Ford Explorer hood corrosion and let google be the bearer of bad news....

I have owned all three (Ford/Dodge/GM) and I don't see any reason to buy another Ford. My last purchase was a new Tahoe. Great vehicle and essentially the same price point as a loaded Explorer.

Another fantastic Ford Explorer issue is the TSB that recognizes that under full throttle acceleration there is a burning/exhaust smell in the interior. Mine had it, Ford removed the rear bumper/applied sealant to prevent exhaust smell from getting in. Best part.....it never fixed the issue. If you run the car at anything less than full throttle it doesn't smell but if you hit it, you need to roll down the windows to get fresh air inside.

Makes you feel great about spending 45K on a new car huh......junk as I said before!

If this is what you consider junk, I'll take junk any day.

Do you realize that ALL manufacturers have issues from time to time? And that ALL manufacturers have multiple TSBs open at any given time to address issues that may arise after a new model is being used in daily life where it sees the most abuse?

Corrosion was an issue for many manufacturers when they first switched from steel to aluminum. Most if not all have been addressed by now.

If you are calling the Explorer junk because it has a TSB open you may faint when you see how many TSBs are open on vehicles at any given time. Keep in mind... the newer the vehicle, the less TSBs are prevalent as issues may not be known until some miles are put on them (2017 data is incomplete, and 2016 is also incomplete).

I'll use 2014 as an example since most issues will have been identified by now.

2014 Ford Explorer - 44 TSBs
2014 Chevy Tahoe - 118 TSBs
2014 Dodge Durango - 50 TSBs
2014 Honda CR-V -32 TSBs
2014 Toyota RAV4 - 37 TSBs
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee - 141 TSBs

This is all relative to sales as well. You will see a higher number of TSBs when there are more vehicles on the road. That doesn't mean the vehicles are junk. It just means enough were on the road to identify a problem.

Old 02-06-2017, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
The only way you can really say anything intelligent about used car prices is the auction price. Around me, that's the Galves database. KBB and NADA aren't particularly real world.

Considering we don't pay auction prices for a vehicle when we buy them from a dealer, and considering that most cannot see auction prices without access, auction prices are irrelevant.

We're not talking dealership purchase price, but dealership sales price. That is more real world.

Old 02-06-2017, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
Considering we don't pay auction prices for a vehicle when we buy them from a dealer, and considering that most cannot see auction prices without access, auction prices are irrelevant.

We're not talking dealership purchase price, but dealership sales price. That is more real world.

Galves auction database access is $9.95 for a 1 week subscription. You can also get it for nothing with a free trial of their smartphone application.

If I want to know how a new car is going to depreciate, I look at the auction database for a 4 year old version of it. It's the same way they calculate residual value on a new car lease. This thread is about buying a new Explorer. If you're buying a used car from a car dealership, you want the same data to know how much they paid for it. The used car dealer is going to try to get as much profit as they can. You need to know their cost basis when you're negotiating.

Old 02-06-2017, 12:11 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Your anger is unsupported by reviews and most importantly sales figures. Year after year, the Explorer outsells everything and it's not the least expensive offering. Aluminum doesn't rust! Sorry.
Further, they didn't take a dime from the Obama-Detroit bailout.
Ford makes great trucks. Period.
Bush initiated the bailout. Ford execs came along to support GM and Chrysler because they knew they would not survive the domino effect of the suppliers going under if those two were allowed to go down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnZ963 View Post
I've noticed that both the Explorer and the Escape have small fuel tanks relative to their fuel burn. I think it's just Ford trying to reduce weight in order to better comply with government CAFE bullcrap. Otherwise I think the current Explorer is a fine vehicle.
The size of an empty tank is more or less determined by packaging and space given to other things like suspension, cargo space and people's feet. But still, an 18.6 gallon tank isn't that small.

Quote:
Save your money.......they are junk!

Dislikes after 65K miles (bought new 2013)

1. Bad torque steer (FWD+300 hp)
2. Gas mileage is laughable for a midsize suv
It is a large crossover and it is right in the middle of the pack for MPG (17/24 for the most common V6), even without using the 2.3L Ecoboost (19/27). The FWDs have 280/290 hp, not over 300, but we would be talking about torque if complaining of torque steer (255-310). Which, again, if you are experiencing loads of torque steer with your driving habits in one of these I don't think you are the target audience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive