Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2017, 03:16 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,166,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
BMW's are not any more reliable than many other models. I think a lot of people think BMW's give them an upper echelon status.
What does reliability have to do with driving quality?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2017, 05:47 PM

4,150 posts, read 3,906,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
What does reliability have to do with driving quality?
A lot, cars don't get you far broke down along side the road.

Old 02-20-2017, 06:46 PM

6,556 posts, read 7,139,634 times
Quote:
The company was founded in 1916, they would have went out of business long ago if what you think happens all the time. Getting behind the wheel and truly enjoying your drive time, it's what you pay for. They don't make appliance cars.

Old 02-20-2017, 07:21 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,166,453 times
Quote:
I haven't been stuck on the side of the road (and I run from one side of the country to the other), or broken down since my Pinto shut down because ignition wires got wet - 40 years ago.

If you want a car to be reliable, you maintain it properly.

I have 137K Miles on my BMW. It never left me on the side of any road. Three weeks ago though, I started getting loud noises from the car, I FIXED IT. That bad wheel bearing will not strand me.

Two years ago, a loud noise started from my water pump - I FIXED IT. That pump will not strand me. And yes, I have made other minor repairs.

The point I am making is that I have had 137K relatively trouble free miles in my BMW, that is about the same as any other car I have owned or better; and that happens because I take care of them. And every mile DRIVEN is a pleasure because the car performs.

Have you had many cars break down and leave you on the roadside? Again, what does that have to do with drive quality, you tried to divert but you really didn't answer.

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 02-20-2017 at 08:29 PM..

Old 02-20-2017, 08:44 PM

787 posts, read 644,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
Disagree, as the owner of many BMWs. I just spent a sunny, 70 degree Sunday with the top down cruising on fun backroads all over northern MD and southern PA. The responsiveness of the E46 chassis, especially in ZHP form, is sublime and the balance makes everything fun and effortless.

Of course, my BMWs have excellent resale value compared to their purchase price, as they both have hit the bottom of their depreciation curves and as long as I keep them cared for, they will be worth what I paid for them if not a bit more in a few years (though selling them is not something I want to do).

Iv'e had over 100 cars in the last 40 years, many of them performance cars. I've had a chance to compare different kinds of cars, different layouts and different categories back to back and ended up coming back to BMW for my fun daily drivers. They simply are that good.

Old 02-20-2017, 10:47 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Ok, I looked them up and man, what pigs. 17 second quarter mile times, almost 10 seconds 0-60? Not even CLOSE to BMW territory, even for the era. 4 door Z/28 Camaro? Well, the Z/28s of that era were neutered pigs, too, so that makes sense.

.82Gs laterally and a speed of 20 mph at the onset of tire noise? Over-boosted, no-feedback, GM power steering? And this basic Nova with bench seats (or flat, base trim "buckets") is supposed to somehow be a BMW competitor?

Oh, and reliability that measures at 75-100k miles (50k police miles). Am I supposed to be impressed with any of this? Might have been a semi-decent sleeper for '76, but the 3.0CSi, 633csi, 530i, and 533i of the era would be better cars. And while the 9C1 Caprices got better yet (and are great cheap performance car platforms) they didn't advance as fast as the BMWs and never got the feeling and responsiveness down.
now imagine taking that 79 nova, and dropping in an LS6 corvette engine, that you can get over the counter from GM, add in an upgraded suspension, IE new A arms. springs, etc. and tht slow a$$ed pig of a nova is now suddenly a modern super car, for less than $15000 invested, and it will still get around 25 mpg.

Old 02-21-2017, 03:09 AM

1,995 posts, read 2,078,467 times
Quote:
Unless you have driven one, you won't really know. They are TIGHT. No, I don't mean they are small. What I mean is that all the components related to the chassis are well engineered for precision driving. It is easy to carve up a road like the "Tail of the Dragon" in my X5. It goes exactly where you point it.

To be honest, my BMW's feel complements my RX7 sports car very well. Not as fast, but just as quick.

Last American sports cars I drove, there was a good two inches of play in the steering wheel - which is NOT inspiring when you are going very fast in a narrow curve.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post
yeah this, American sports cars are about power, and going in a straight line for stop lights or the drag strip. German cars are designed to handle well on the autobahn or the Nurburgring.
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
You are so clueless, it's breathtaking. American performance cars handle better, stop better, and smoke comparably priced BMWs at the Nurburgring...or any other road course, for that matter. This is old news. You're about 8 years behind the times. Everything changed with the introduction of the 2009 Cadillac CTS-V. Real car enthusiasts know this. Like many BMW nutswingers, you're not an enthusiast.

Only posers still believe the BMW hype.
Comparably priced bmws... Here you go...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...eife_lap_times.

Since you brought up CTS-V; scroll down to 7:59 seconds and you will see the Cadillac CTS-V, (right below the c6 z51, (which they were trying to fall in line with). THEN..... SCROLL UP to 7:55 and you will see a comparably priced ($90K dollar bmw sedan) BMW M5. Since, apparently, we are basing $90k luxury sedans based on lap times....
Also, similar lap times don't mean they went around the track the same way.

Didn't realize you got so offended by people talking about BMWs slogan, you had to come in here and show your rear.
Quote:
Your entire insulting attitude means your message is BS. You have a chip on your shoulder and it shows.
Yeah for realz.

Quote:
You are so clueless, it's breathtaking. American performance cars handle better, stop better, and smoke comparably priced BMWs at the Nurburgring...or any other road course, for that matter. This is old news. You're about 8 years behind the times. Everything changed with the introduction of the 2009 Cadillac CTS-V. Real car enthusiasts know this. Like many BMW nutswingers, you're not an enthusiast.

Only posers still believe the BMW hype.
Quote:
Typical BMW leghumper - your link is 7 years old. Times have changed - try to keep up.
Quote:
Sigh. I rest my case. Automotive performance has increased significantly in the last 7 years. The fact that you believe otherwise pretty much proves my point about BMW fanbois. Let's try this in terms even you should be able to grasp: 2010 M3 vs 2017 M3. Not. Even. Close.

Other than a few select M cars, the entire BMW lineup is littered with mediocre poser mobiles targeted to non-enthusiasts. Yawn.
WOW, so you want to pick out the CTS-V, and then bash on BMW fans for talking about M cars... You forgot to bring up the vette, and Camaro, THEN WHAT???

So you want to compare the entire bmw lineup to whos?? Cadillac, Chevy, Ford??? You think I'm not an enthusiast, and I think you don't understand the basics.

Whats with all your hostility?? Its as if.....

Quote:
Nonsense. I'd take a 1999 M3 over your bloated 2011 in a heartbeat. And my 2011 CTS-V will do vile, unspeakable things to your "ultimate driving machine". For that matter, I'm certain my lightly modded 2014 Taurus SHO 12S (track package) has you covered. Bring it. I've driven an E90 M3. Torque-less POS. Felt like an overweight Civic.
Yeah, There it is.

and DEAR MODS:
Quote:

Only posers still believe the BMW hype
Not sure I can respond to that. I feel like that would have gotten me a few days to cool off??

Old 02-21-2017, 07:33 AM

4,150 posts, read 3,906,215 times
Quote:
I haven't been stuck on the side of the road (and I run from one side of the country to the other), or broken down since my Pinto shut down because ignition wires got wet - 40 years ago.

If you want a car to be reliable, you maintain it properly.

I have 137K Miles on my BMW. It never left me on the side of any road. Three weeks ago though, I started getting loud noises from the car, I FIXED IT. That bad wheel bearing will not strand me.

Two years ago, a loud noise started from my water pump - I FIXED IT. That pump will not strand me. And yes, I have made other minor repairs.

The point I am making is that I have had 137K relatively trouble free miles in my BMW, that is about the same as any other car I have owned or better; and that happens because I take care of them. And every mile DRIVEN is a pleasure because the car performs.

Have you had many cars break down and leave you on the roadside? Again, what does that have to do with drive quality, you tried to divert but you really didn't answer.
Ok BMW's drive great, are you happy now?

Old 02-21-2017, 08:28 AM

2,116 posts, read 3,050,294 times
There are roughly 250,000,000 automobiles on the highways of this country (United States) and they are produced by roughly a dozen separate manufacturers. Hundreds of models, trim levels, and options make them an individual expression of each person's preferences.

Is BMW a good brand? Certainly. Is BMW the "best" brand? For some. Is BMW the Ultimate Driving Machine, as hyped by their marketing department? That's probably too subjective to declare. The BWM fit and finish has traditionally been excellent, and the performance is typically near the top of their class, while pricing is also appropriate for a high quality piece of craftsmanship.

After spending most of my adult life in/around/analyzing vehicles, I don't really care anymore about who can get to 100 mph faster, who can push a button and do something that my plain transportation cannot do. My concerns are more centered around not being a jerk in my car. I appreciate others not being jerks in their cars. Whether you are in a six-figure European icon or in a beat up Detroit legend, appreciate the vehicle you have and drive it like a responsible adult when on public roadways. When we see each other in the parking lot or at the gas station, we can share a moment remembering the time we had a similar Detroit legend or wishing we had enough left over after paying the kids college tuition to buy the European icon.

Old 02-21-2017, 08:42 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,093,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
now imagine taking that 79 nova, and dropping in an LS6 corvette engine, that you can get over the counter from GM, add in an upgraded suspension, IE new A arms. springs, etc. and tht slow a$$ed pig of a nova is now suddenly a modern super car, for less than $15000 invested, and it will still get around 25 mpg.

Modded cars are not on the table as you can mod cheap BMWs, as well. I went down the "mod my car to be as good or better as a stock BMW" route, Found that it was always better just to get the car you were trying to emulate to start with.

But, to be on the same page, I can start with a $500 dead '99 740i Sport, replace the engine with a used S62 M5 engine, and drop on a supercharger and not NEED to redo the suspension or interior or bodywork and have a 500+RWHP sport sedan that will do 180+ mph and still knock down 25 mpg at normal speeds. And it will out ride and outhandle that '79 Nova.

In fact, it's becoming a common, fairly inexpensive swap:

So bring on your modded cars. I'll match them step for step.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive