Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 08:45 AM

8,080 posts, read 7,448,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
...slapped a $200 registration fee on electric cars...

Well, the state is not collecting any money from electric car users in the form of gasoline tax. How do you expect them to pay for the roads that are used by electric cars?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2017, 08:49 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
It effects what everybody else buys, or whats available in the future, hence the rapid dissappearance of manual transmissions because of lazy people, the dissapearance of minitrucks and so fourth.
I see.....so people should subsidize what you want by not buying what they want?

Old 03-17-2017, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I have no issue with EV vehicles, but all the credits in the world aren't going to get me to buy something I can't practically use in everyday life, nor has styling I am in love with.

WHere are the EV minivans, SUV's, pickup trucks? etc? The tech has been out for some time, but everytime I see a new EV hit the market, it's usually some tiny little compact I can barely fit myself, or a bag of mulch into.
You've not seen the Tesla Model X? Now granted, right now that is priced out of the range of the vast majority of people but things like this do not simply happen overnight. We are getting there.

Even the Model S is a fairly large car......still priced beyond most people right now. Prices will come down.

Old 03-17-2017, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Well, the state is not collecting any money from electric car users in the form of gasoline tax. How do you expect them to pay for the roads that are used by electric cars?
Electric car users do pay additional taxes on the electricity they use. The argument here is that we should charge a higher sales tax for energy efficient appliances because the state is losing out on electricity taxes.

Old 03-17-2017, 09:02 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,831,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Electric car users do pay additional taxes on the electricity they use. The argument here is that we should charge a higher sales tax for energy efficient appliances because the state is losing out on electricity taxes.
High efficiency appliances do not put wear and tear on the roads. In fact they reduce the demand ont eh infrastructure they use. If EVs somehow created less use of roads, then the argument above might have some traction. EVs actually would created more use of roads if evryone had them becuase a family of 7 would have to drive in 2-3 EVs instead of one van.

BTW for the poster earlier, They have made EV pickups. There was a ford Ranger made a while back (late 1990s?). My brother had three of them. Most were leased and then crushed when the lease ran out, but some were sold and he manage to get three of them in an auction. He sold 2 and kept 1. It did not run very often and its range was about 30 - 40 miles I think, but when it worked it worked very well for short trips. You could even haul stuff if it was not too heavy.

Old 03-17-2017, 09:09 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,259,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
They have made EV pickups.
Not a pure EV, but...
VIA Motors Extended-range Electric Trucks, Vans & SUVs EREVs

Old 03-17-2017, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
High efficiency appliances do not put wear and tear on the roads. In fact they reduce the demand ont eh infrastructure they use. If EVs somehow created less use of roads, then the argument above might have some traction. EVs actually would created more use of roads if evryone had them becuase a family of 7 would have to drive in 2-3 EVs instead of one van.
The taxes aren't used for infrastructure. The infrastructure is maintained by the power companies.

Old 03-17-2017, 10:05 AM

2,310 posts, read 6,827,818 times
The argument that we need to retard market penetration of high efficient vehicles because these cars don't pay for road upkeep via participation in fuel tax is ... retarded. No one has once talked about the fringe benefit with less greenhouse gas emission, tailpipe pollution, fossil fuel consumption, dependency on oil, etc. that got these cars started in the first place.

If the funding strategy to maintain roads is flawed, then the gov't should fix that... and not by slapping a new and arbitrary tax on specific classes of vehicles.

Old 03-17-2017, 10:22 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,275,306 times
Eventually, battery technology will improve to the point where range isn't an issue and price isn't an issue. If I can stick a solar panel on the roof of my house, run my car for free, and heat/cool my house for free, why not?

I also think that self-driving EV will eliminate car ownership for a lot of people. Why spend $3K+ per year between taxes, depreciation, insurance, registration, inspection, and maintenance when you can summons an autonomous EV with your smartphone and it shows up in a couple minutes?

Old 03-17-2017, 10:30 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,256,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
In what way? Without resorting to "but, but...........roads!!!!!!!!!".

It looks like those who drive gas/diesel vehicles are subsidizing, in addition to any tax credits offered, those who drive EVs.
I think that person was talking about the "Hummer loophole". It was pretty awesome while it lasted.

Until a few years ago, you could write off an entire SUV as a business expense as long as it was over 6000 pounds. Most large SUVs were over 6000 lbs. They were considered farm vehicles, going back to a time when not many people drove SUVs. But some time in the last 5 or 10 years, they did away with it. I think you can still write off $25K but not the whole vehicle anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive