Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 11:02 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,530,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Would you have scoffed at a map if it led you through a street closed for construction?
Never happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2017, 11:12 AM

3,146 posts, read 4,106,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZORAC View Post
My membership expired and I need a map..does AAA give away free maps if your not a member? (They're closed right now I can't ask)
You still use maps????

With Google, MapQuest, and all the free apps that are available, why use an antiquated foldable map?

Old 03-22-2017, 11:33 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,042,790 times
Smile Maps are still useful.........................

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
You still use maps????

With Google, MapQuest, and all the free apps that are available, why use an antiquated foldable map?

especially when initially planning a road trip IMHO. You can quickly change focus from a specific area to a wide view very easily. Plus you can get a quick and dirty ballpark idea of what is reachable in a reasonable amount of time based on the maps legend. For me this gives me a head start on getting oriented before leaving on the trip.

Old 03-22-2017, 11:34 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,765,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
Speaking of antiquated...do you link to MapQuest from your Geocities account after dialing with America Online?

Old 03-22-2017, 11:35 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
Quote:
My membership expired and I need a map..does AAA give away free maps if your not a member? (They're closed right now I can't ask)
Nope. You're not a member. Membership has perks that we pay for! They don't give anything to non-members. They charge you for it. As they should since you're not paying the fees that members have.

Old 03-22-2017, 11:40 AM

245 posts, read 608,186 times
Quote:
There is a one-month grace period after your membership expires in which you can still get free AAA emergency service. I assume it is the same for maps. My area AAA's have maps in vending machines, where you just swipe your card (limit 5 per day).

Old 03-22-2017, 11:53 AM

4,834 posts, read 5,736,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
Never happened.
I know right. I love how printed maps can tell me when there is traffic congestion ahead and give me a detour.

Old 03-22-2017, 11:56 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,877,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
I know right. I love how printed maps can tell me when there is traffic congestion ahead and give me a detour.
I love how GPS's send me into traffic congestion five miles long. With some bumper-to-bumper gridlock and construction barriers as a bonus.

Old 03-22-2017, 12:00 PM

4,834 posts, read 5,736,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
I love how GPS's send me into traffic congestion five miles long. With some bumper-to-bumper gridlock and construction barriers as a bonus.
Next you're going to tell me GPS created the traffic congestion just for you

Maybe your unit is just trolling you.

At least it tells you there is traffic. But if you aren't navigating it isn't going to re-direct the route.

Old 03-22-2017, 12:06 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,288,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
I like maps, you can see where you are and where you want to go and see the best route. Also can estimate the time it will take. Also have a sense of where your going instead of blindly following spoken direction without a clue of where you are.
when I went to grand canyon for the first time, satnav was still in its infancy and sometimes you get confused with its directions.

so I consulted the map and look for the road that leads to the grand canyon. after driving for about an hour and hadn't reached the road yet going to the canyon, I got worried already. so I stopped and rechecked my location and the road I was traversing and am on the right direction. I was not lost.

then I realized that I didn't consider the actual distance on the map. that Arizona is such a big state that what seems roads and streets on the map are actually hours and hours away in actual driving distance. it wasn't the map of a city I was looking at. it was a map of a big state in the middle of nowhere
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive