Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 04:32 PM

4,330 posts, read 7,242,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
You must live in some desolate place.
No, I live in a city with a population of about 1.5 million. Barnes & Noble is the only chain left, with I think 5 locations. A couple of independent book "boutiques", a couple of used book stores, and a few Christian booksellers, that's about it.

Last time I checked the supermarket magazine stand, I didn't see any street maps there. I don't know about gas stations, they're all convenience stores or a fuel island with a kiosk out in front of a supermarket or discount store now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2017, 05:19 PM

37,626 posts, read 46,035,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZORAC View Post
My membership expired and I need a map..does AAA give away free maps if your not a member? (They're closed right now I can't ask)
Definitely NOT.

Old 03-22-2017, 05:48 PM

844 posts, read 1,444,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
You still use maps????

With Google, MapQuest, and all the free apps that are available, why use an antiquated foldable map?
If you just want general directions of where you are..those devices don't work.

Old 03-22-2017, 05:50 PM

844 posts, read 1,444,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mileena View Post
There is a one-month grace period after your membership expires in which you can still get free AAA emergency service. I assume it is the same for maps. My area AAA's have maps in vending machines, where you just swipe your card (limit 5 per day).
Vending machines that dispense maps..interesting.

Old 03-22-2017, 06:38 PM

201 posts, read 195,404 times
Hi Tazorac,
I'd ask anyone you know that is a member to pick them (and maybe some triptiks) up for you. Or go in person if you tell them that you expired, they may pass one to you to get you by until you get back on.

Other options- I think online mapquest/ google maps some places online allow you to print a map or download to your cell phone. I used google maps talking on my phone once in a moment of desperation.

Not sure how far you're going or if you're going back, but will anyone that doesn't go out much let you borrow their GPS? Maybe safer than trying to look down at a map.

Usually Gas stations that I've noticed seem to only have local maps- so may or may not help you if you're going far away.
Stay safe and happy travels!
NG

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZORAC View Post
My membership expired and I need a map..does AAA give away free maps if your not a member? (They're closed right now I can't ask)

Old 03-22-2017, 07:58 PM

4,210 posts, read 4,463,511 times
No, you need to be a member. I recently went to my local AAA (only visit about every 1 to 2 years) to update hard copy maps for potential road trips and was able to get about 30 maps.

I am old and new school. I prefer spatial detail so the hard copy maps enable greater context, and then I will use Google earth often times (on my laptop) instead of Google maps so I can see more physical built environment whenever possible prior to travel. When driving the landmarks become guide markers for streets as sometimes the street signage is poor (depending on where you may be).

I was a road warrior for about 5 years traveling throughout most of USA and Canada. The few times I had GPS rental cars it seemed more trouble than it was worth. I surmise it may be better now, but I seem to enjoy the spatial recon as I currently do, rather than depend on some machine. Call me crazy or old fashioned, but I think the forced spatial short term memory challenge from studying the map is healthy for the human brain cells but that's just me and I like a spatial challenge.

Old 03-22-2017, 08:08 PM

3,247 posts, read 6,305,755 times
Which map are you looking for? One can order almost any paper map on Amazon.

Old 03-22-2017, 08:22 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,287,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
You still use maps????

With Google, MapQuest, and all the free apps that are available, why use an antiquated foldable map?
Each does its own thing. I can eye the entire state in one glance and see the main roads that will take me where I want to go before you can launch your app. GPS has its place. When you are lost and have no idea where you are at or to find a specific hotel or something. Other than that I know pretty much where I am going.

Old 03-22-2017, 08:26 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,666,867 times
I hardly see maps anywhere these days, and can't tell you the last time I actually seen a map. With today's technology, maps are probably going the way of the payphone. Even if you do need an actual map, you can probably just pull up a map on your phone or tablet that will be the most up to date.

Old 03-22-2017, 09:38 PM

44,635 posts, read 61,653,458 times
We travel across the country a lot and a AAA map is a must. Wife likes to look at towns in between our main destinations to see what looks inviting to stop and see. She picks a city or 2 and then uses the AAA tour guide book(s) to get info about it and if there are places of interest. If we decide to stop and visit there then I can plug into the GPS for exact directions.
I've been a member of AAA for 60+ years and found it to be invaluable and worth it when needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive