Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 09:37 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,257,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
LOL, now grasping at straws. How about when the there is a lunar eclipse or when Haley's comet is visible in the sky.

Beyond that I'm sure showrooms can stock panels of all color combinations. And they won't mind if you take it outside
Obviously you know nothing about how light affects color. Learn.
http://www.sensationalcolor.com/unde...4#.WO5JfGdOl9M
Having a flat panel is also nothing like having it on a contoured surface.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Yes, and showrooms can surely stock panels in all color combinations that can easily be brought outdoors.
That is only acceptable if you don't really care very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2017, 09:38 AM

4,834 posts, read 5,736,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
Obviously you know nothing about how light affects color. Learn.

Don
Yes, and showrooms can surely stock panels in all color combinations that can easily be brought outdoors.

Old 04-12-2017, 09:38 AM

4,214 posts, read 3,761,938 times
I cant say that I have ever bought a car new or used that had the exact options I wanted. My wants in a car are only available if I go with the $5K upgrade for example so now I have my want but I also just bought $4k of upgrades that I didn't want. If you order from the dealer my assumption is that I could get exactly what I wanted without any of the extras.

It all comes down to the fact that if a manufacturer wants to sell directly to the public then they should be able to.

Old 04-12-2017, 09:55 AM

1,715 posts, read 2,298,652 times
Dealership is not but an additional middle man and extra overhead cost that the customer ends up paying for. Couple of yrs back I wanted a Lexus GX SUV. It was a specific base model, fake leather, no navigation or fog lights, no lane departure etc because I didnt need all those gadgets. I searched for it in my state and none of the 3 major or closest cities had the base model in stock. I was surprised coz it was a common vehicle. I checked with all dealerships and they were like we have the next model up and its going to cost you $9k with the next trim upgrade. No body kept the base model because they could up sell the customers with the useless upgrades that they had stocked. When I asked them can they get it for me they were like sure, its going to be up to 3 months and I pay for all shipping and moving charges from West coast etc. I ended up getting the car shipped from a Florida dealership and doing the paperwork with them. Paying for my own transport was cheaper than what the dealership wanted.

Old 04-12-2017, 10:21 AM

2,376 posts, read 2,933,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Thing is, we no longer need a retail network. There is a new way to buy cars. Many people use it now. We could get rid of dealers today, and by next month, everyone would be buying cars online. Dealerships are out of date and will eventually fade away. It will take years maybe even a decade, but they are done. Couldn't happen soon enough IMO. Any business where individual compensation is based on getting people to buy things they do not need and cannot afford and/or getting people to may more than they really need to for a product (ie focused n taking advantage of naive or unsophisticated people), is one we can do without. For a time, the Mfgs may need to have test drive centers, but eventually people will learn to accept buying cars based on test reports, etc. We no longer need middlemen or massive lots filled with cars that are not what a particular buyer wants, but which a salesman will try to convince them to buy anyway.

You order your car, select colors and options a computer located that car for you and it is either delivered or you pick it up. The end. Eventually they will work out just on time delivery and the cars will be made to order. That will take more advanced computer systems than we have right now.
I'm sorry, but if you let a dealership talk you into buying a car you don't want, add-on's you don't want, etc, then that's your own fault. You think manufacturers are going to be a charity and sell cars without trying to make as much money as possible? Ha! Good luck with that....as has been proven multiple times (Ford Auto Collection, etc) when manufacturers get into the retail business they typically want higher margins than what auto dealers currently get.

Again, I'm on record saying I believe each automaker should have the right on whether to sell direct or not, but some of the anti-dealer comments on here are just flat-out wrong.

Now are there some dealers who are crappy, run misleading ads, have shady employees, etc, absolutely. If people stopped buying from them then they'd go away, and the "good" dealers would be left, you know? The dealership model is not necessarily the problem...you may run into crappy stores run by a manufacturer, too.

Old 04-12-2017, 10:31 AM

2,376 posts, read 2,933,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTony View Post
Dealership is not but an additional middle man and extra overhead cost that the customer ends up paying for. Couple of yrs back I wanted a Lexus GX SUV. It was a specific base model, fake leather, no navigation or fog lights, no lane departure etc because I didnt need all those gadgets. I searched for it in my state and none of the 3 major or closest cities had the base model in stock. I was surprised coz it was a common vehicle. I checked with all dealerships and they were like we have the next model up and its going to cost you $9k with the next trim upgrade. No body kept the base model because they could up sell the customers with the useless upgrades that they had stocked. When I asked them can they get it for me they were like sure, its going to be up to 3 months and I pay for all shipping and moving charges from West coast etc. I ended up getting the car shipped from a Florida dealership and doing the paperwork with them. Paying for my own transport was cheaper than what the dealership wanted.
And guess what, if there were no dealers and the automakers ran distribution for the entire country you'd have LESS chance of finding that car you were looking for. If the OEM handled distribution, they would most likely stock less variations of cares across the country. Dealers and automakers currently fight about the buildable combinations of each vehicle - dealers want more options and the automakers want to reduce the number of configurations to make it easier on their supply chain/plants.

Most people buying a Lexus want those options you passed on, and that's the most likely reason the dealers near you didn't have what you wanted. Do you honestly think dealers stock cars people don't want? They pay huge interest costs each month on their inventory so they are extremely motivated to stock the appropriate mix of cars & trucks.

I will say it makes no sense on why they told you that the shipping from west coast was your responsibility. That makes no sense to me....destination charges are the same for every like-model car regardless of where it ends up. They should have been able to order it and have it delivered to them, not the west coast. Something is off there...

Old 04-12-2017, 01:05 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,869,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
Because I want a car today, not weeks from now. I want to see and drive it in the exact color, material and equipment combinations that I'm looking for.
I've never had to get a car custom built to get what I wanted. I just went in, made a deal and left with the car. Today.

Old 04-12-2017, 01:15 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,869,992 times
There was an era when most people needed a travel agent to be the intermediary between the consumer and the airline. That era is over for good. No one needs an intermediary between themselves and American Airlines or Delta or whomever.

Similarly, I have no use for the services of an intermediary between me and the automobile manufacturer. The only reason it exists is because that intermediary bribes - er, "donates" - to state and local elected officials.

Old 04-12-2017, 02:37 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,257,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
There was an era when most people needed a travel agent to be the intermediary between the consumer and the airline. That era is over for good. No one needs an intermediary between themselves and American Airlines or Delta or whomever.

Similarly, I have no use for the services of an intermediary between me and the automobile manufacturer. The only reason it exists is because that intermediary bribes - er, "donates" - to state and local elected officials.
To answer "why did you not plan ahead"...

Sometimes cars just up and quit working.
Sometimes they give you hints that they're about to quit working, so you trade before something expensive happens.
Sometimes they get wrecked.

Old 04-12-2017, 02:39 PM

201 posts, read 237,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Seriously? It boggles my mind.

Say you order direct from the manufacturer.

What makes you think that you're getting a better deal? In that situation, Ford or Chevy or Tesla will set the price, and that's the price you'll pay. Hint...its MSRP.

Sure, they will throw out periodic incentives, but there is no incentive anymore to compete for your business. If you want a seamless, enjoyable transaction on a new car, walk into the dealer and offer to pay sticker price.

The dealership model is the worst...aside from all the others.
Who you think pays for commission all car salesmen get? Hint: CUSTOMER

Manufacturers don't need dealership for maintenance, service and recalls. For that they can start certification program for mechanics/repair shops so customers know who to trust for service.

Dealership model must go NOW!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive