Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2017, 05:43 AM

1,110 posts, read 896,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
You can do that at Tesla stores, too. it's just that you then order your car and it's delivered to you.

As for service, they have regional service centers and the car is picked up and taken to one, if it's not software related, and then delivered back to you upon completion (software related issues can be dealt with wirelessly while you still have your car)

For a lot of people the dealership model is a straight up hassle, and dealing with clueless salesmen who know little about the product and just want to upsell you is a major pain. Especially if it takes a couple hours of back and forth with a "manager" to come up with a price and then an hour with an F&I guy who is trying to sell you more stuff.

A lot of people want to buy a car like they do products on Amazon or at an Apple store. Some dealers are willing to do that, many are not. If a manufacturer wants to set up a distribution model that matches that, then they should be free to do so without interference from an outdated dealership lobby.
The two easiest experiences I have had in buying a car was online at a Toyota dealership in Newport, RI, and with Tesla. No haggling, no games, no big managers to consult. The car was just shipped to us in each instance. In the next best car experience to those two, we were sold on a prius by the lot attendant (who demo'd the technology), because the salesman was too backed us to handle us right away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2017, 07:34 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,594,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Seriously? It boggles my mind.

Say you order direct from the manufacturer.

What makes you think that you're getting a better deal? In that situation, Ford or Chevy or Tesla will set the price, and that's the price you'll pay. Hint...its MSRP.

Sure, they will throw out periodic incentives, but there is no incentive anymore to compete for your business. If you want a seamless, enjoyable transaction on a new car, walk into the dealer and offer to pay sticker price.

The dealership model is the worst...aside from all the others.
Car manufacturers have to play by the same laws of economics that everybody else does, so this doom and gloom story you spin where automakers charge whatever they want for a car is hilarious. Yeah, Maybe if there was ONE car maker and they had the monopoly on the production of cars they could price gouge, but when you have like a dozen mainstream automakers out there building cars they will still have to compete with each other on price to some extent.

Old 04-15-2017, 07:56 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,394,892 times
prices has gotten so high, they need every dollar they can get, so get rid of the dealers, the prices are not coming down. I bet within ten years, people will stop buying new cars, it will get to where the people making good money cant afford a new car

Old 04-15-2017, 08:06 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,594,808 times
They could quit building new cars tomorrow and we wouldn't run out of them for decades, but that is a whole other discussion.

Old 04-15-2017, 08:12 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,194,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
prices has gotten so high, they need every dollar they can get, so get rid of the dealers, the prices are not coming down. I bet within ten years, people will stop buying new cars, it will get to where the people making good money cant afford a new car

As long as vehicle travel is the main source of transportation for most Americans, there ways to purchase vehicles other than buy them out right

Leasing

Financing

Old 04-15-2017, 08:16 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,168,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
I can sign and take it home today?
No, but you can't do that at a dealership either - if you are selecting a car who's demand far outstrips it's supply.

Old 04-15-2017, 08:27 AM

12,850 posts, read 9,060,155 times
Didn't read the whole thread, but actually, the only thing is wish they'd do is every manufacturers, every dealer simply put a price on the car. No haggling, no dealing, no hidden behind the scenes cost. That would bring true market competition to work because the customer would be able to make a straight cost comparison. The way competition is supposed to work.

Old 04-15-2017, 08:49 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,257,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
No, but you can't do that at a dealership either - if you are selecting a car who's demand far outstrips it's supply.
I've NEVER bought any car that I didn't take home the same day.

Old 04-15-2017, 09:50 AM

4,331 posts, read 7,239,240 times
Quote:
I did, but it was years ago. Just the first two new cars I bought. Since then, it seems like all the dealers (at least in my area) practice on-the-spot delivery. As soon as the finance guy settles the terms with you, and has had his crack at trying to sell you extended warranties and service contracts, your new purchase is sitting out front, already been through the wash rack, with temporary tag affixed, and the salesman standing next to it with the keys, waiting for you to come out.

In the old days dealers typically had a few examples on the showroom floor, and parked conspicuously out in front of the dealership. Everything else was parked out on the back lot, and was often a mess. Wheel covers still in a box in the trunk, plastic covering the seats and door panels, grease pencil writing all over the windows, which were covered with soot. Looked like they just parked them and left them the way they came off the transporter.

Now, they prep everything as soon as it is delivered, before being made available for sale. It also gives the dealer the opportunity to "pack" the vehicle with extras, and add their inflated sticker before putting the vehicle on sale. Doubtful most customers would opt to have that junk added if given a choice, but when everything in stock already has it (take it or leave it), well...

Old 04-15-2017, 09:56 AM

1,873 posts, read 2,408,343 times
Quote:
You must be relatively young. Though it's indeed the norm now, several decades ago it was almost unheard of to take a car home the same day you signed a contract.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive