Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 08:05 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,217,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
High speed off road a Raptor would run rings around a H1.
That is, until the frame buckles...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2017, 09:11 PM

497 posts, read 484,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashbeck View Post
I know the Hummer H1s have very nice interior amenities even though it was never known as a purely luxury vehicle, based of the military predecessor, the Humvee, but the problems with Hummers that I can think of is the size of the vehicle. Its size may not fit into a garage unless if your garage is beg enough. The main problem with most Hummers is that they have poor gas mileage. Any thoughts?
https://www.thoughtco.com/hummers-to...-features-4500
The real question is how do you intend to use it?

Old 04-20-2017, 09:30 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,912,049 times
The old Hummers aren't what most think they are. As stated before, they have limitations and the biggest limitation is they are grossly under powered. Many can't make it up asphalt at high elevations. Can't tell you how many we had to chain to 6xs to get them up the mountain roads in Panama. You can't say fuel mileage with a Hummer as the full military units use as much fuel as a 6x. Low single digit miles per gallon.The field of view sucks majorly as the glass is mounted too high and is far too small, but then it was designed as a combat vehicle, not a grocery getter. They have the handling characteristics of a washing machine and are incredibly clumsy. The best day of owning a Hummer is the day you get to wave bye-bye to it while the new clueless owner drives off. There's a good reason they're not made anymore for the public. They were crap the first day and the last day. I doubt you can say reliable and Hummer in the same sentence and not laugh.

Old 04-20-2017, 10:27 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,509,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
That is, until the frame buckles...
Anything can be broken when you go beyond its limits. People thought that buying a Raptor meant they were buying a 150,000 dollar Baja Trophy Truck. Hummers are slow as ****. The GM diesel is also gutless. I rode in a few civilian and military ones. Like I said it has a fun factor but overall there are a lot more vehicles that will do what a regular person in will do in a Humvee better and be more comfortable and more capable overall

Wait till you buy that Hummer and you need AC work or portal hubs. Or any vehicle specific part

Last edited by Electrician4you; 04-20-2017 at 10:36 PM..

Old 04-21-2017, 04:53 AM

4,206 posts, read 3,756,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Outdated, old, no dealer support now, yesterday's technology.
These are concerns when buying a vehicle like an H1? I traded in my brand new truck for a 12 year old Land Cruiser with 120K miles on it. Outdated, old, yesterdays technology but its so much more of an SUV than what is currently being manufactured in my opinion and that's what makes it fun. Its also nice to drive a vehicle that you don't see a lot of.

Old 04-21-2017, 06:12 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,673,340 times
You can buy a surplus m998 if you want a humV. Civilian models don't have the clearance or off-road capability.

Old 04-21-2017, 06:17 AM

45,336 posts, read 60,512,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
These are concerns when buying a vehicle like an H1? I traded in my brand new truck for a 12 year old Land Cruiser with 120K miles on it. Outdated, old, yesterdays technology but its so much more of an SUV than what is currently being manufactured in my opinion and that's what makes it fun. Its also nice to drive a vehicle that you don't see a lot of.
They should be considered. Parts especially. The H1 wasn't made or sold in great enough numbers to be able to scrounge junkyards for parts or for many aftermarket suppliers to bother with. Especially so for the OP who, if I remember correctly, doesn't even have a driver's license yet.

The H1 is one of those vehicles that you ask yourself about what's in your wallet.

Old 04-21-2017, 06:26 AM

2,254 posts, read 2,735,540 times
Having spent a lot of time driving multiple H1s, including the pickup I had on my farm, I would in no way call it a luxury vehicle. In any way, shape, or form. Offroad the H1 is fantastic although way too wide for many trails. On the farm the truck bodied version was great, with lots of unique accessories available at the time that really worked well in the field. And it had bulletproof reliability until something broke. Then good luck finding someone to fix it.

On road the H1 was slow, loud (they can't make a stereo loud enough for it), thirsty, rattly, poor fit and finish, ergonomically challenged, uncomfortable, too wide for comfortably driving on city streets and freeways, too wide to park, has terrible visibility, etc. Frankly, after the uniqueness wore off it was embarrassing to drive in public.

The H2 and H3? Just for show and not much more than special trim packages on the Chevys underneath.

Just my experience. If you love it go for it.

Old 04-21-2017, 06:28 AM

2,254 posts, read 2,735,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
Yeah - but that's a Land Cruiser. Which I would strongly recommend over any Hummer product. Even an old 100 Series with a ton of miles is a better bet with similar real world abilities.

Old 04-21-2017, 06:36 AM

4,206 posts, read 3,756,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
They should be considered. Parts especially. The H1 wasn't made or sold in great enough numbers to be able to scrounge junkyards for parts or for many aftermarket suppliers to bother with. Especially so for the OP who, if I remember correctly, doesn't even have a driver's license yet.

The H1 is one of those vehicles that you ask yourself about what's in your wallet.
I guess im just a big kid. I have never bought a vehicle based on it being a smart choice, lol.

If the OP in fact doesn't have his license yet this is a great way to become an enthusiast. He will have time to put into it, to research it and in return will have a greater appreciation for it. I bought my first car when I was 14 and I messed around with it everyday afterschool. Because of that I am now pretty handy when it comes to repairs. An H1 is a pretty desirable model and if he decides its not the right vehicle for him then he will have no problem flipping it. Of course that's just my opinion.

I have always wanted a boat, two years ago I bought one. I sold it the same year after realizing it was not everything I imagined it would be. I have no desire to ever own one again, however, if I had not bought it id still be itching to get one. Live and learn..life would be boring if we didn't take chances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive