Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 10:17 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,498,932 times

Advertisements

H1s are very easy to wrench on. 6.5 Turbo diesels are a breeze.

H2s are too, Want to save money on maintenance? Buy K2500 front end components instead of "hummer" brand. Same front end components as a 3/4 ton chevy/gmc truck/suburban. Its when they have the air ride suspension, is when they get expensive to maintain/repair. 6.0s are runners. Get the right tuner, intake, run headers back, you can get that hefty pig to break the rear tires loose going into 2nd...

I've seen a few H1s for sale down in the miami area 15-20k Which is fine. I dont care if that boat anchor 6.5 has a cracked head/block. Can go to the junkyard and yank another one for less than $1000 out of an old school bus, dually, diesel truck/suburban or find a wrecked Duramax and do an LBZ/LMM and Allison swap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2017, 02:17 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,739,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
What killed the Humvee was political correctness and peer pressure. Demand dropped and GM wasn't going to keep building them.
If the Humvee came back today people would be snapping them up. For a discontinued vehicle it's still pretty popular.
I'm not sure where you live but given the price they would have to charge there are much better options. I don't believe peer pressure had much to do with it. If that kind of thing mattered then the Prius, the BMW 3 Series, and the Audi A4 (all considered by some group to be douchebag owners) would have been long gone.

I know 3 neighbors that have H2s and 2 that have H1s. I'm one of them (I have 2 H1s - a 1994 Pickup and a 2004 Hard Top). Never had any peer pressure from anyone. However, most other people I have seen that bought H2s and H3s were either young women or soccer moms. And the size, fuel economy, insurance, lack of visibility, and poor ride mattered to them in different ways. And now they have a Tahoe or a crossover.

Some cars just use up their new car market and need to die. Hummer was certainly one of them. Plenty to buy on the used market.

Old 04-28-2017, 02:28 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
H1s are very easy to wrench on. 6.5 Turbo diesels are a breeze.

H2s are too, Want to save money on maintenance? Buy K2500 front end components instead of "hummer" brand. Same front end components as a 3/4 ton chevy/gmc truck/suburban. Its when they have the air ride suspension, is when they get expensive to maintain/repair. 6.0s are runners. Get the right tuner, intake, run headers back, you can get that hefty pig to break the rear tires loose going into 2nd...

I've seen a few H1s for sale down in the miami area 15-20k Which is fine. I dont care if that boat anchor 6.5 has a cracked head/block. Can go to the junkyard and yank another one for less than $1000 out of an old school bus, dually, diesel truck/suburban or find a wrecked Duramax and do an LBZ/LMM and Allison swap.
Yeah but you need to know how to work on them. I'm not talking about strictly the diesel or trains. I'm talking about the hubs and related drivetrain components, half shafts, etc. AC control units are brand specific. The one ky buddy was looking at did not have the AC upgrade and it was going to cost thousands to get it working.
You're talking about someone who can turn the wrenches. Most people can't or don't know how.
For the average hummer owner maintenance isn't cheap.
For the few that can fix it by diy all thrirecpayung is parts. I compare owning a exotic type vehicle to owning a boat

Old 04-30-2017, 12:50 PM

325 posts, read 337,046 times
I once saw a guy in a suit and tie drive a Hummer H1 on a highway. He did looked ridiculous.

Old 04-30-2017, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrltenSpke11 View Post
I once saw a guy in a suit and tie drive a Hummer H1 on a highway. He did looked ridiculous.
I've seen all sorts of people driving Humvees. It's no more ridiculous than anything else people drive on the road. Hell yesterday I saw a Jeep Rubicon that was so freaking done up it looked like a Up-armored HUMVEE.
Thing was absolutely spotless exterior and under the chassi. Literally not one speck of rust or dirt on the axles or tires or wheels
Think that Jeep goes off road or spends 100% of the time tearing up concrete freeways? I'm thinking it's a mall cruiser.

Last edited by Electrician4you; 04-30-2017 at 01:33 PM..

Old 05-04-2017, 01:15 PM

2,116 posts, read 3,050,294 times
I'm not going to read the pages of opinions but want to post a couple comments to the original statement.
1. Hummers, particularly the H1, don't have great interiors. They suck. They are not supportive, comfortable, or spacious for the size vehicle they are.
2. They are not a particularly good vehicle for anything needed in the civilian world. They guzzle gas for amazingly poor performance, weigh more than anything comparable, and have incredibly unreliable drivetrains.
3. In Northern WI you will be challenged to get down quite few of the fire lanes and backwoods roads with a vehicle that wide and that has the turning radius of a Greyhound bus.

For hauling people, get a Suburban or Expedition. For performance off road, get a Jeep or pickup truck. If you are looking for macho factor in the parking lot at a drive-in somewhere in SoCal, then go for the Hummer.

Old 05-04-2017, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynldsbr View Post
I'm not going to read the pages of opinions but want to post a couple comments to the original statement.
1. Hummers, particularly the H1, don't have great interiors. They suck. They are not supportive, comfortable, or spacious for the size vehicle they are.
2. They are not a particularly good vehicle for anything needed in the civilian world. They guzzle gas for amazingly poor performance, weigh more than anything comparable, and have incredibly unreliable drivetrains.
3. In Northern WI you will be challenged to get down quite few of the fire lanes and backwoods roads with a vehicle that wide and that has the turning radius of a Greyhound bus.

For hauling people, get a Suburban or Expedition. For performance off road, get a Jeep or pickup truck. If you are looking for macho factor in the parking lot at a drive-in somewhere in SoCal, then go for the Hummer.
We dont have drive ins anymore. They got torn down to make way for multiuse buildings and shopping centers. After all those Texans need to live and shop somewhere when they move to so cal driving their H1s

Old 09-26-2017, 12:24 AM

4,454 posts, read 3,394,691 times
Here's a problem with the Hummer H1 and H2s, because they are significantly bigger than other SUVs, parking, driving, and fitting in a garage can be a problem. They can also pose serious threats to smaller vehicles.

The major problem with all Hummers is that the Hummers without the diesel engine option have horrible gas mileage, especially the H2s. That goes the same for the Ford Excursion. The best you can get on the H2s is 8 MPG on the highway.

Old 09-26-2017, 09:09 AM

2,274 posts, read 1,339,310 times
Hummers were junk the first time around. Why anyone in their right mind would want to buy one of these POS is beyond me.

Old 09-26-2017, 11:01 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,558,348 times
Pros: High ground clearance
Cons: Everything else
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive