Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2017, 04:51 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,581,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I don't see how calling the police and asking for advice on how to deal with it is bad advice.
Why would you call the police about a civil matter? They don't have enough time to deal with all the criminals out there. The car is on his property with his permission. It's not a police matter. Call a tow company and have it removed if the owner doesn't remove by the deadline set. It's really that simple.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2017, 04:56 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,509,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Why would you call the police about a civil matter? They don't have enough time to deal with all the criminals out there. The car is on his property with his permission. It's not a police matter. Call a tow company and have it removed if the owner doesn't remove by the deadline set. It's really that simple.
A tow company won't tow it like that. You need to follow specific laws and post vehicle code signs before you can tow.

Old 05-02-2017, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
The car was there with your permission all this time? If so you need to give the person proper notice to remove their property from your property.

Not only that but in most cities you MUST have a notice posted

The private real property owner that has a vehicle or vessel removed must have a warning sign posted stating that unauthorized vehicles or vessels will be removed at the owner's expense. The notice must include the name and telephone number of the towing agency that will remove vehicles or vessels from that property and be in letters at least two inches high on a contrasting background. Notices must be permanently installed with the bottom of the notice at least four feet from the ground and prominently displayed at each point of entry for vehicles or vessels. If the property does not have curbs or access barriers, there must be at least one notice for every 100 feet of road frontage. The notice must be in place at least 24 hours before vehicles or vessels can be removed from the property

On one of our rentals the parking is horrendous simply due to the area it's in. We had numerous complaints of people parking and blocking our tenants from using the garage. I called around and before any tow company would even do anything I had to have a sign posted No Parking and a sticker of the tie company info.
After that either the tenants or I could call and they would come and tow. In fact girl awhile I simply had the tenants cars and my car on a safe list. Anything else got towed. Within three weeks nobody was blocking the entry anymore.

Before you go and just pul the car on the street, lie about its ownership etc, find out your city or state laws on towing a vehicle. It is not abandoned because you met with the owner, knew the owner and simply are letting it stay on the property because they say they will remove it.
You don't need to have any such sign posted at your house. Apartment buildings, yes. Commercial businesses, yes. Your own house, no. Besides, it's not an unauthorized parking issue. The car was parked there with the OP's consent. Again, this is a simple civil matter. The car owner has had ample notification. Give her a fixed deadline and then have it removed, if it's still there.

Old 05-02-2017, 05:02 PM

Quote:
You don't need to have any such sign posted at your house. Apartment buildings, yes. Commercial businesses, yes. Your own house, no. Besides, it's not an unauthorized parking issue. The car was parked there with the OP's consent. Again, this is a simple civil matter. The car owner has had ample notification. Give her a fixed deadline and then have it removed, if it's still there.
Dude you're wrong. The vehicle was left with the owners permission. You still gave to follow the law. See I actually had to tow a vehicle that was left on a property I owned. A few times. And I had to place a sign stating no parking and vehicle code of that city and the tow company info.
You can give whatever deadline you want you still have to follow the law. Tow companies won't touch it. But go ahead and do it your way.

Old 05-02-2017, 05:05 PM

Quote:
A tow company won't tow it like that. You need to follow specific laws and post vehicle code signs before you can tow.
As I stated earlier, I've been through this. If it's on private property and you want a vehicle removed, you can have it done. You don't need any signs on private property. The only question the tow company had was, is this your property. If you park your car in my driveway I can have it towed without any sign and without any police involvement.

Old 05-02-2017, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Dude you're wrong. The vehicle was left with the owners permission. You still gave to follow the law. See I actually had to tow a vehicle that was left on a property I owned. A few times. And I had to place a sign stating no parking and vehicle code of that city and the tow company info.
You can give whatever deadline you want you still have to follow the law. Tow companies won't touch it. But go ahead and do it your way.
Not on PRIVATE PROPERTY!!! Been there, done that.

Old 05-02-2017, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Not on PRIVATE PROPERTY!!! Been there, done that.
Maybe in YOUR state of Alaska. It's not a law across the land. In OPs state he may be able to give notice and then tow in 30 days or 24 hrs. If I knew the state he was in I could get a real answer. I've been there and done that too. And in the states I lived or had property in you had to post. Private property or not.

I live on a street that's considered private property. There is a nice big sign with city and vehicle codes telling anyone parked on the street they can be towed at any time

I've lived in a private community that stated the same sign and vehicle codes.

Same on a property I had in Michigan. I had to post a no parking and info.

Old 05-02-2017, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Maybe in YOUR state of Alaska. It's not a law across the land. In OPs state he may be able to give notice and then tow in 30 days or 24 hrs. If I knew the state he was in I could get a real answer. I've been there and done that too. And in the states I lived or had property in you had to post. Private property or not.

I can't imagine having to post signs in the OP's case, even in a nanny state. This is based on a single family dwelling where prior permission was given, or not given. If you're dealing with condos, apartments, commercial businesses, etc, then yes, you need to post. But even so, how does the sign affect anything if you gave the vehicle owner permission to park there?

I live on a street that's considered private property. There is a nice big sign with city and vehicle codes telling anyone parked on the street they can be towed at any time

That's different. It's not the same as if the vehicle were in the driveway or yard, on private property in the truer sense of the word. The street may be owned by the HOA, but it's considered a common area.

I've lived in a private community that stated the same sign and vehicle codes.

Same on a property I had in Michigan. I had to post a no parking and info.

Did you have to post the same sign in your driveway and back yard of your single family home, or did this pertain to common area parking as part of an HOA or condo association?

Old 05-02-2017, 05:29 PM

749 posts, read 733,909 times
Quote:
Really? You'd have the OP be the one abandoning a vehicle on a public street, involving the police or code enforcement, and so it can be towed away at taxpayer expense. That's being a really responsible citizen. I stand by my statement...give the owner a fixed date to have it removed or it will be towed. This is a civil issue and should be kept so.
How many people have to tell you that all states and municipalities do not have the same laws, before you start thinking that maybe it's true?

In my case, when we lived in Minnesota and I faced this problem, I called the police about an abandoned vehicle on my property. It was the right first step, because they told me what my options were. They did not come out and do anything. They did not arrest anybody. They did not try to track down the owner. They simply told me what my options were.

If I faced this issue again, the first thing I would do is call the police. Again. And I would strongly advise the OP to do the same.

Old 05-02-2017, 05:46 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,633,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSS429 View Post
i see this person 3 or 4 times a month and they tell me " i`ll get it moved ".. i will call my local sheriffs office .. i just have not had good co-operation with the law historically ..
if you can get away with it...

tell them the city called and said it is an ordinance breach .. somethign to the effect there is a local ordinance or HOA or CC&R that says no scrap, junk vehicles may be stored visable to the public etc..

look one up there are plenty and they sound about right.

Or say your neighbors are passing comment and you dont want to get into conflict with them...

or your wife is driving you crazy. etc

NONE OF THIS HAS TO BE TRUE, JUST SAY IT. if caught say it must have been a nieghbor who is angry...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive