Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 03:27 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,394,892 times

Advertisements

you still going have to pay the extra $8 no matter what, so why argue, you are not getting anything free. and what is a cop going do, but make you pay anyway
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2017, 05:23 PM

15,435 posts, read 25,818,588 times
Not one poster said anything about someone who does not have $8. If the OP didn't have $8, what are they supposed to do. Can they work it off by pumping gas?

Old 05-04-2017, 05:26 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,290,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Oregon also prohibits pumping your own gas, but that's never been a problem when there because we always fill it up. I cannot remember the last time I asked for less than a fill-up, but it was probably when I was in high school, in the late 1970s. Do people really still get $10 worth? That's like about 3 gallons!
I was originally gonna post this but didn't wanna make the OP feel bad. Some people think the extra weight will affect their mpg so they do this. Silly I know.

Old 05-04-2017, 06:39 PM

194 posts, read 163,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Not one poster said anything about someone who does not have $8. If the OP didn't have $8, what are they supposed to do. Can they work it off by pumping gas?
Exactly, there are any number of scenarios where OP could not/it would inconvenience them to pay the extra $8 that they hadn't planned on spending.

And the person GETS PAID TO PUT GAS IN YOUR CAR. The least they could do is make sure it's the right amount- in fact that kind of seems like the most important part of the job! Aside from making sure the gas is actually going into the car.

If you go through a drive-thru and you are given the wrong meal they typically wouldn't take the meal back to throw it into the trash and they definitely don't ask you to pay for it. If the attendant puts too much gas into a car they shouldn't require the customer to pay for it. End of story. I didn't ask for it so I'm not paying for it. Their mistake, not mine.

Personally I wouldn't have called the police. I would've handed the attendant my $10 and told him to sue me for the other $8 (hint: he wouldn't have done it). No way would I have wasted an hour of my life on a moron who can't pump gas correctly.

But shame on the police for not showing up at all, a person asks for help and they should respond. Now if they laugh in your face when you tell them your story so be it, but to not show up is unacceptable.

Old 05-04-2017, 07:06 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,932,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
I pull up to a gas station. I tell the guy I want $10 worth. Now, to preface this, I live in NJ, which is probably the only state in which you can't pump your own gas! The guy walks away, or gets distracted, whatever. Next thing I know, the pump's at $18 and some change! I pull out the nozzle as I'm yelling at the gas guy. I specifically said $10 bucks - and I had a witness (my passenger), who clearly heard me!
We argue, I refuse to budge. Guy wants my license, registration, etc. I say, "You a cop? I'm not giving you my information!" I call the cops. They don't show. I see a police car from the neighboring town; I flag it down and tell that officer what's going on. He says, "I can't handle your situation, but I'll call it in and have (gas station town) send a car over."
He does so and tells me, "Hang tight, they'll be here in a minute." I thank him and he drives off.

The local police never show, even after waiting a full hour! Furious now, I tell the guy a few choice words, along with, "You do whatever you wanna do...I don't care. GOODBYE!" got back in my car, and left!

I didn't want to be accused of being a drive-off. Obviously, the guy could've taken my plate number and reported me. At least I did get the cop from the neighboring town, along with my passenger, so if I get a visit from the police, I'll be exonerated.

NJ min wage is $8.44/hour

I guess that is one way to earn it.

Old 05-04-2017, 07:07 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,065,768 times
Quote:
I pull up to a gas station. I tell the guy I want $10 worth. Now, to preface this, I live in NJ, which is probably the only state in which you can't pump your own gas! The guy walks away, or gets distracted, whatever. Next thing I know, the pump's at $18 and some change! I pull out the nozzle as I'm yelling at the gas guy. I specifically said $10 bucks - and I had a witness (my passenger), who clearly heard me!
We argue, I refuse to budge. Guy wants my license, registration, etc. I say, "You a cop? I'm not giving you my information!" I call the cops. They don't show. I see a police car from the neighboring town; I flag it down and tell that officer what's going on. He says, "I can't handle your situation, but I'll call it in and have (gas station town) send a car over."
He does so and tells me, "Hang tight, they'll be here in a minute." I thank him and he drives off.

The local police never show, even after waiting a full hour! Furious now, I tell the guy a few choice words, along with, "You do whatever you wanna do...I don't care. GOODBYE!" got back in my car, and left!

I didn't want to be accused of being a drive-off. Obviously, the guy could've taken my plate number and reported me. At least I did get the cop from the neighboring town, along with my passenger, so if I get a visit from the police, I'll be exonerated.
Do you drink a lot?

Old 05-04-2017, 10:17 PM

3,426 posts, read 3,344,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Nanny government won't allow people to pump their own gas in Jersey? OMG. LMAO.

OP...I can't believe you involved the police department in that. It was a mistake, not a criminal act. No wonder the cops blew you off. I can hardly believe anyone would get as angry as you over something so stupid as an $8 mistake.

And then to make things worse you come in here and post about it. LOL. Did you expect us all to condemn the cops and the gas station attendant? I mean...I'm curious to know what you expected of us.

You got all worked up over nothing. Please learn how to deal with other people in a more appropriate manner. Everyone makes mistakes... and sometimes we make the same mistake twice.
Java, did you read what I posted?

If I'd have not called the cops, and just left, who's to say that the guy couldn't have gotten my license number, called the cops, and reported me as a drive-off? My calling the police was for my protection, so he couldn't press charges! For all I know, he could've said I'd robbed him!

In some jurisdictions, FYI, driving off is a criminal act! You think I need or want to spend a night in jail? Better to cover my ass, ya think?

And OK, it's $8 and some-odd change difference! It's not gonna kill me. But best to handle it by notifying the authorities and preventing problems for myself later! How humiliating would it be to have your neighbors see you hauled away in handcuffs? I believe strongly in CYA - Cover Your Ass! And that's what I was doing.

Old 05-05-2017, 12:21 AM

7,709 posts, read 5,458,616 times
Quote:

So you'll never need that $8 gas in the future? Is it really worth your while to make such a fuss over $8, an amount which bought you a commodity you are still going to need, and it will save you the time of having to stop in again so soon. Gas usually goes up in price around Memorial Weekend.

I think you are whining over something unnecessary. Go to a different gas station next time.

I feel sorry for gas station owners who have to have someone go out and pump only $10. Maybe there ought to be a $20 minimum.

Old 05-05-2017, 02:01 AM

15,421 posts, read 9,083,924 times
Quote:

That's why I just tell them to fill it up. Like you can't afford to put $20 or $25 of gas in your car at one time? If you are that broke that an extra $8 of gas in you car is going to wreck your life, maybe you should find another cheaper means of transportation.

Old 05-05-2017, 02:12 AM

15,421 posts, read 9,083,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
What a waste of time you created. Its not like he put $10 in and the balance was air, you have $18 worth of gas that inevitably will be used.
I see this type of thing all the time on the Oregon forum. People ranting and complaining about how having their gas pumped for them is ruining their way of life and infringing on their freedom.

Some people just can't deal with the concept of customer service and people having jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive