Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 12:34 PM

3,377 posts, read 9,203,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
You wouldn't know about it, but you injected it anyway. Complain, complain, complain about something you know nothing about. Which is typical of most anti-full-service gas complainers.
Good grief Cloudy....wtf over?

I did make a comment.

I was wrong.

I admitted I was wrong.

I was grateful to the poster for the information.

What more could one want? How do you expect a tourist to know this? Is there some sort of advertising campaign out there to educate the people who pass through the state? You know to let them know a pitch black gas station that appears to be closed....is actually open and able to dispense fuel during non-business hours?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2017, 12:52 PM

15,419 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wankel7 View Post
Good grief Cloudy....wtf over?

I did make a comment.

I was wrong.

I admitted I was wrong.

I was grateful to the poster for the information.

What more could one want? How do you expect a tourist to know this? Is there some sort of advertising campaign out there to educate the people who pass through the state? You know to let them know a pitch black gas station that appears to be closed....is actually open and able to dispense fuel during non-business hours?
I wasn't directing the comment specifically to you, but rather to people in general, who don't seem to know much about it, but complain about full-service gas, nonetheless. Most people here in Oregon love not having to pump their own gas. People from out of state, who don't understand it, are the ones who take issue with it. I suspect there is also some sour grapes involved.

Old 05-05-2017, 01:03 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,979,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
I pull up to a gas station. I tell the guy I want $10 worth. Now, to preface this, I live in NJ, which is probably the only state in which you can't pump your own gas! The guy walks away, or gets distracted, whatever. Next thing I know, the pump's at $18 and some change! I pull out the nozzle as I'm yelling at the gas guy. I specifically said $10 bucks - and I had a witness (my passenger), who clearly heard me!
We argue, I refuse to budge. Guy wants my license, registration, etc. I say, "You a cop? I'm not giving you my information!" I call the cops. They don't show. I see a police car from the neighboring town; I flag it down and tell that officer what's going on. He says, "I can't handle your situation, but I'll call it in and have (gas station town) send a car over."
He does so and tells me, "Hang tight, they'll be here in a minute." I thank him and he drives off.

The local police never show, even after waiting a full hour! Furious now, I tell the guy a few choice words, along with, "You do whatever you wanna do...I don't care. GOODBYE!" got back in my car, and left!

I didn't want to be accused of being a drive-off. Obviously, the guy could've taken my plate number and reported me. At least I did get the cop from the neighboring town, along with my passenger, so if I get a visit from the police, I'll be exonerated.
Jeezus New Jersey is FUBAR... Completely and utterly FUBAR. That's why I don't live there. My brother does, every winter I call him and ask him how the brown snow shoveling is going? lol

Old 05-05-2017, 01:05 PM

3,377 posts, read 9,203,461 times
Quote:
I wasn't directing the comment specifically to you, but rather to people in general, who don't seem to know much about it, but complain about full-service gas, nonetheless. Most people here in Oregon love not having to pump their own gas. People from out of state, who don't understand it, are the ones who take issue with it. I suspect there is also some sour grapes involved.
I guess if they don't like it get a diesel or a motorcycle

Old 05-05-2017, 01:27 PM

15,419 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Quote:
I guess if they don't like it get a diesel or a motorcycle
That will work. I have also heard stories about people who drive all the way through Oregon without filling up, just to buy more expensive gas in Washington and California, so they don't have to give up their freedom to pump their own fuel. It seems kind of masochistic to me, but to each their own.

Old 05-05-2017, 01:58 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,856,876 times
As others mentioned , this is not worth your time. Just pay the man. You are going to need that gas now or later.

Why bother putting in 10 bucks worth

Then you will just have to stop to get gas more often and deal with this sort of thing more often.

Old 05-05-2017, 07:11 PM

7,705 posts, read 5,446,630 times
Quote:
I see this type of thing all the time on the Oregon forum. People ranting and complaining about how having their gas pumped for them is ruining their way of life and infringing on their freedom.

Some people just can't deal with the concept of customer service and people having jobs.
Exactly. In my opinion, it's a win-win. I wish California required gas pumping.

I remember my childhood when the gas station pumpers (one of the first jobs many guys had after high school if they did not go directly to university) were there, cordial, cleaning the windshields, pumping gas, etc.

Those were the days.

Old 05-07-2017, 08:33 AM

50,721 posts, read 36,411,320 times
[quote=rbohm;48036420]my advice would be to move to a state where you can pump your own gas. you should also be watching the pump, and if the guy is no where to be found, you stop the pump where you want it. otherwise just pay the damned bill and never go back to that station.[/quot

Or pay with a credit card. I live in NJ and love not having to get out, I have never had this issue. Also Rick, go to Wawa for gas if they are near you, they are really good there.

I'm not a protestor by nature, but if they ever try to take away full-serve and make us self-serve here, I will fight it tooth and nail. Most people here like it and understand the value of 10s of thousands of jobs as well.

What does "freedom" have to do with it? I can't walk behind the 7-11 counter and get my own cigarettes, I have to wait until the person waits on me...is 7-11 infringing on my freedom, lol??

Old 05-07-2017, 08:52 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Quote:
........How do you expect a tourist to know this? Is there some sort of advertising campaign out there to educate the people who pass through the state? You know to let them know a pitch black gas station that appears to be closed....is actually open and able to dispense fuel during non-business hours?
Are you talking about Oregon? Because along all routes commonly used by tourists, there are 24 hour gas stations to fill your car for you.

No, you don't get to take your choice out of all the stations in the area, but there will be a station that is open.

Why are you driving through the dark in an area you don't know with a low gas tank, anyway? The thought process is: Hey, I've got a quarter tank of gas and it's midnight. I will drive off to an area I've never been on before and it will be OK because a gas station will magically appear just before I run out of gas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive