Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 04:43 PM

13,659 posts, read 9,724,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I never have understood the concept of "fun" when it comes to cars. A car is a utility vehicle. ...
Differences in perception abound. That's one of the things that makes the richness of the human experience so variegated and surprising. I never understood the appeal of fine jewelry, or really any jewelry for that matter. It seems, to me, to be silly to affix metal or plastic to one's body... it is confining, scratchy and burdensome. Yet to some, it is a mark of distinction, or beauty, or testament of loyalty (a wedding ring, for example). I'm just now starting to appreciate craft beers. Until recently, beer was just a liquid consumed for purposes of reaching inebriation. Now I am starting to notice all sorts of nuances of hops, aroma, and the various aspects of taste.

The very idea of "getting to and from" one's destination introduces derivative problems, challenges and interests. What is the speed? What is the acceleration and deceleration? Are obstacles involved? Can this be turned into a competitive venture? Are there subtle ways of making the journey more efficient? Even the most quotidian and banal experiences can become settings for novelty, for optimization, for competition. What's that old anecdote... as soon as the second-ever car was built, there was held the first-ever car race?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2017, 05:01 PM

890 posts, read 883,655 times
Take I-65 through Lebanon Indiana as one example. The original entrance ramps were very short, with a small radius, so drivers tended to hit the interstate without much visibility of the oncoming traffic. All the ramps were replaced, it was a large construction project that took many years, including redoing some bridges. The shoulders were closed off with concrete barriers, due to the ongoing highway replacement. This highway is very busy, it is the main highway connecting Chicago to the South. During rush hour, it is filled with many semis, as well as cars.
A chain reaction was set off when a car merged, with all lanes affected. Being able to accelerate out of the way, was a major safety factor.
People should be able to buy as much hp as they want. Both for safety, as well as for pleasure. For those who want a slow car, there are plenty of those available.

Old 06-04-2017, 05:09 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,874,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
Extreme high HP vehicles are a want. Not a need.
Econ 101 teaches us that there is no such thing as a "need." Only "wants and desires."

Old 06-04-2017, 05:11 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,783,124 times
Quote:
Do you need all of this power for that?
The answer to your question could be the same answer to why many people drive lifted trucks in Texas.

One word answer: EGO.

Old 06-04-2017, 05:24 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,858,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
The answer to your question could be the same answer to why many people drive lifted trucks in Texas.

now that can be an acceptable word to use.

Old 06-04-2017, 05:36 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,874,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graywhiskers View Post
Provide an example.
Just search YouTube.

https://youtu.be/FJSEWEADk34

https://youtu.be/n5dzLH3Cwpg

https://youtu.be/sf7Wr4ICfrI

https://youtu.be/sf7Wr4ICfrI

https://youtu.be/kgzP__qjxrk

https://youtu.be/gFD0rASnIN8

Old 06-04-2017, 05:38 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
Quote:
Provide an example.
My friend spun out his Ferrari and smoked 360s on the road.

Old 06-04-2017, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post

Ok.
So everything you own that isn't boring brown paper wrapping generic is your giant who?

Whatever, dude. Sour grapes stink up a room.

Old 06-04-2017, 05:41 PM

Quote:
I never have understood the concept of "fun" when it comes to cars. A car is a utility vehicle. I drive it to work, to run errands, etc. As long as I safely get to and from my destination, then that's all that's important. I have driven 6 & 8 cylinders vehicles and I can feel the extra bit of kick...but so what? I still get to the supermarket the same.
We're not talking about whatever random 6 or 8 cylinder engine.

We're talking about what is referred to as a driver's car.

Old 06-04-2017, 05:44 PM

Quote:
People get killed all the time in low power cars also. It is easy to find car/motorcycle accidents where this happens.
I know men and women who drive high powered cars safely.
It is safer to have more power in two lane highway passing rather than less hp. A V8 mustang is better than a Chevette when attempting to do this.
Some people should not drive at all. Some people cannot parallel park. Some people should never try to pass on a two lane highway. Any hp is too much for some drivers.
For those who want the extra power, it can be useful in avoiding accidents.
Ya. I haven't had a low HP car ever, and all my cars for the last 10 years have been 430 up or higher, and I haven't had a wreck since...the 1990s? And that was a small (5mph) fender bender bc someone started to pull out of an intersection and changed their mind.

I'll go back to the knife analogy. Having a powerful, precision automobile is like having a sharp knife.
The fact that it will do whatever you tell it to do instantly makes it a safer car in many ways.
Just like a sharp knife is much safer than a dull knife because you don't have to press so hard to make it do what you want it to do, causing unsafe situations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive