Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2017, 09:14 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,822,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Nice try but image has nothing to do with why many of us drive SUVs to begin with!
That's what minivan owners say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2017, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
No one here is "worshipping": SUVs either. We just find them more practical for our uses.

Old 06-29-2017, 09:23 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,950,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldwake View Post
No, I was referring to double the space behind the 3rd row.

I'm not sure what year you have or what kind of minivan you want to compare, but since we're doing 2014 T&C's already, I'll stick with that.

2014 Sequoia:
Cargo Volume to Seat 1 (cu. ft.): 120.1
Cargo Volume to Seat 2 (cu. ft.): 66.6
Cargo Volume to Seat 3 (cu. ft.): 18.9

If you take full space behind 3rd row, add in the volume of 1/3 of third row when you flip the seat down, you come to 34.64 sq ft. (18.9 + ((66.6-18.9=47.7)*.33)=34.64

T&C:
Cargo Volume to Seat 1 (cu. ft.): 143.8
Cargo Volume to Seat 2 (cu. ft.): 83.3
Cargo Volume to Seat 3 (cu. ft.): 33

In other words, you need the 7 passenger set up to match the T&C.

Another scenario:

If you have 3 kids and want to carry the whole fam plus luggage, in 5 passenger configuration for a Sequoia with a bench 2nd row vs a T&C, you'll have 66.6 sq ft for Sequoia vs 33 + 2/3 of third row in T&C which is roughly 54.78+33= 87.78 (you'll have to minus a couple sq ft for the seat folding into floor taking away some space)

T&C has more again.

Ha, it was a little tongue in cheek but it is still a legit argument. My buddy picks up mulch in his outlander by putting a tarp down... why not in a minivan? But in all seriousness, minivans are great for picking up appliances and hauling/moving. With the wide/tall cargo area and low loading height, if you're just picking up something off craigslist or whatnot, it's awesome. As I mentioned before, we borrowed a minivan to pick up a full size mattress/box spring. Not doable in any SUV.

It's weird you think there is some sort of cult... it's just a minivan. I just really want people to admit they don't like them because of the image, not because they aren't practical. I'll readily admit that I'd never own a minivan b/c of that... will you?
I have to agree with this.
I also have to point out a much more fair comparison would be a full size E-350 15 passenger van is even more practical for the large SUV crowd.
It can carry a lot of people and cargo and can tow, but who wants to be seen in one of those?

Old 06-29-2017, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
I also have to point out a much more fair comparison would be a full size E-350 15 passenger van is even more practical for the large SUV crowd.
It can carry a lot of people and cargo and can tow, but who wants to be seen in one of those?
I wouldn't mind. My all-time favorite vehicle was an E-250 with a 460 engine. I could be happy in a new one if they still made them.

Old 06-29-2017, 09:50 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
I've had 2 different minivans and now SUV. I have to say today SUVs are more like minivans than before. The platforms and designs have evolved to carry more occupants than for off-roading. Majority of new crossovers or SUVs today are not great for offroading. Take the RAV4 or CRV, they suck at a simple hilltop climb or going over rocky terrains that most full size SUVs with full-time 4WD can handle.

I like SUVs today because I can carry 5-7 people and go over mud, snow, or loose gravel.

Old 06-29-2017, 10:41 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,381,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
Being 30 and not married gives me a lot of panic attacks. I feel the urge to start a family as soon as possible, too bad my girlfriend just graduated from college and she wants to wait for another year.

Sometimes I feel a minivan is an over kill, but I really don't know what kind of vehicle works best for a family with one kid(okay, I don't have even have one kid yet, but I will). Sedans, even the large ones, don't seem to be easy enough to get in and out.
Are you okay with driving a minivan if you DON'T get married or if you wait 5 years for kids after getting married? I think you're in a little much of a rush to get the new life you want totally nailed down. Most families have two vehicles - one to haul stuff (including kids) around and another vehicle with better gas mileage for commuting or errands without the kids.

Old 06-29-2017, 11:04 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,668,923 times
Quote:
Why do you want to own your own trailer? Just rent a Uhaul trailer. You can rent an F250 flatbed from Home Depot for $25.

The retractable steps are a bandaid. My in laws have them and I hate them. I like to step right in, the steps too short meaning you need a bunch of baby steps to get in. Or just leap over them but now the foot on the ground is two feet away and you're trying to get up high. I'd rather skip all that nonsense.

The high loading floor is a nice ergonomic height, I'll give you that.

I get why you want an SUV but no need to stretch the business case to fit. I don't buy minivans either but they they are the best design for most people even if nobody wants to admit it.
I would prefer not to have to set my schedule around having to find a rental store with a trailer available, drive down to rent it, and drive back to drop it off. Not to mention the liability (or spend more $$ on insurance) of driving something that isn't mine.

I'm not stretching a business case. This is exactly what we have and how we came to the conclusion as to what fits our needs the best. There is nothing I've claimed to have that isn't true.

Old 06-29-2017, 11:27 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,093,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
No, Minivan owners say minivans are better for EVERYONE and that SUVs suck for ANYONE. Sorry. See my previous photo of what I use my SUV for. No minivan is doing that.

SUVs like mine and Nlambert's can do what minivans can do (carry people and stuff). Minivans can't do what SUVs like ours can (go offroad/deeper snow and tow big stuff). Again, sorry.

Old 06-29-2017, 11:42 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,093,054 times
Quote:
Actually the gas E350 is rated for 7500 lbs towing. A diesel superduty one was rated for 10,000. My Suburban is rated for 12,000 lbs. And the vans are pretty sketchy handlers with the extended body and a trailer on the back.

This trailer is 7000lbs and the towing is slow with the V10:

Old 06-29-2017, 12:08 PM

772 posts, read 936,100 times
When manufacturers start putting the same engines you can get in their SUVs in their minivans, then perhaps they can lay claim to being the most practical.

The most "practical" minivan ever built was by Mercedes, the R63. Had the utility of a minivan, the towing power and muscle of an SUV, and the outright speed of a sports sedan or sports car. Did everything. Only minivan I'd ever buy. We currently own a Town and Country (given to us by my father) and it can't take the place of an SUV, nor can it tow as much. It's primary use lies in being a people mover, and not much else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive