Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 10:31 AM

14,317 posts, read 11,714,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
What minivans have and SUVs don't have are the sliding doors. I heard a lot of hype about how important sliding doors are for pregnant women and kids, but I've got no experience.
Depends on the woman. Are you looking for a high maintenance type? I've heard women say they just couldn't survive unless they could press a button on their remote and have the door slide open. Me, I gave birth to three kids who are now teenagers and we never had anything but sedans. I don't think I would have been very attracted to a man who bought a minivan ahead of time anticipating that I would be unable to open doors.

Anyway, I'm now 48 and at times the thought occurs to me that I may be approaching middle age. Sooner or later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2017, 10:35 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,093,843 times
Quote:
What minivans have and SUVs don't have are the sliding doors. I heard a lot of hype about how important sliding doors are for pregnant women and kids, but I've got no experience.

Do you have a girlfriend yet? If not, most young women will be turned off by you already being "practical for pregnant women..." Ziggy's kinda right about this one. It'll be looked as kind of creepy. Not saying you need something flashy, but when a girl goes to take a ride with you and you are in the minivan and you tell her it was bought to be practical for a pregnant woman she's probably not going to take it as well as you might want. It's one step above painting "free candy" on the side of it..

A better bet is a semi practical CUV/SUV and a puppy.

Old 06-14-2017, 10:36 AM

2,230 posts, read 1,716,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
But since, at your advanced age, you don't like driving why care about the "driving experience"? After all, you're just going from point A to point B.
I am not looking for fun.

Driving Mazda 5 on the highway gave me the feel that it's easy to roll over.

Old 06-14-2017, 10:38 AM

45,411 posts, read 60,608,674 times
Quote:
I am not looking for fun. ......
That's for sure if you're thinking of buying a mini-van.

Old 06-14-2017, 10:44 AM

564 posts, read 449,194 times
30? Middle aged?? Driving no fun?!? Need help choosing a car?? Not sure you're ready for a baby screaming for hours in the middle of the night! Lmao.

Old 06-14-2017, 10:49 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,952,664 times
Quote:

Previously, I was leaning Subaru Outback. It looks stylish and practical. I'm fine with their not so fancy interiors, but I am not sure how reliable they are.
Sliding doors are great, but pregnant women usually want to ride up front like an adult.

Sliding doors are nice for installing car seats, but otherwise any SUV will work for putting kids in the seats. The seat height is at an ergonomic level which I find too low in a sedan. Once the kids can get in and out of their car seats on their own you can get away with a 2 door Civic if you want to.

Old 06-14-2017, 10:51 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,259,463 times
Something like a Ford C-Max would work just fine for you.
You're not hauling plywood and they get double the MPG of a van.

Old 06-14-2017, 11:00 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,906,392 times
Quote:
I'm a middle age guy who lives alone. I'm moving from a large city with good public transportation to a small city in the middle of nowhere. The fun part of driving is just not there anymore for my age. If I had the option, I would rather let someone else do the driving, or just utilize the public transportation.

Since practicality is the only consideration I have. Is minivan the best type of vehicle for me? I have zero need for off road, a SUV just doesn't make sense. A minivan allows me to carry bikes, mattresses, small furnitures and up to 6 passengers. I had owned Accord, Mazda 3 and Saturn L200 in the past. There's nothing wrong with sedans, but I'm thinking of getting married and raising kids within two years, which justifies the purchase of a minivan. However, it could be a little bit too extravagant since I won't have kids in the first year or even two. But I'll need a vehicle anyway.

Any thought?

Also, I'm primarily interested in Toyota Sienna and Honda Odyssey.

Thanks
2 most practical vehicles for people that don't need a pickup are a minivan and a hatchback. Since you are single, maybe a hatch is better for you?

Old 06-14-2017, 11:05 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,240,340 times
A minivan is certainly practical. Whether it's the MOST practical depends on specifics we don't know.

My sister has driven minivans for decades. She and hubby are farmers. He has his F350 for use on and around the farm, and the minivan is their "car" that's used for everything else including frequent weekend trips of 500-800 miles. Obviously it works for them. (They're now in their 70s, raised 5 girls and could fill a small stadium with their grandkids.)

My most practical vehicle, if fuel mileage and cost wasn't important, would be a 1-ton 4x4 pickup, because my wife and I like to camp, and we both prefer the comfort and visibility provided by a large pickup while traveling. Alas, costs ARE important to me, so I now drive a Prius. But for you? A 1/2-ton 4x4 might be just right. It'll comfortably carry 4 adults, and it'll haul sheetrock and a gazillion other things in the bed, and it'll do it through fairly deep snow and over all kinds of terrain.

Seriously, I think you're jumping the gun considering a minivan for your family while you're still single, but that's your decision. I drove a Ford minivan for a couple weeks -- provided by my Ford dealer while they were working on my old pickup; it wasn't bad at all.

Old 06-14-2017, 11:12 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,872,320 times
Quote:
Since practicality is the only consideration I have. Is minivan the best type of vehicle for me? I have zero need for off road, a SUV just doesn't make sense.
How about snow? An AWD crossover will have a bit more ground clearance and, of course, AWD so it is better in the snow. Even a crossover can tow more than a minivan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive