Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 05:30 AM

3,208 posts, read 3,573,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Good luck.

How much of your time, money, and effort went into this endeavor?

Was it worth it?
Time: A few hours spent traveling to and waiting at a Mercedes-Benz dealer for some inspection paperwork. I did this while getting a cosmetic repair done. About 30 minutes calling Audi North America. About 30 minutes filling out an online form with the AG and scanning and uploading documents. Maybe 30-45 minutes writing on here and online. Money: $0 spent beyond gas and depreciation traveling to the dealer. Effort: Not too much. It is absolutely worth it to make them pay for abusing a customer. It is absolutely worth it to get my money back!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2018, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
THAT of course is the big question.

At this age and miles the last thing should be one of these cars.
Better a Ford or Chevrolet or Toyota, Nissan, Honda.

Or was it the "German" quality or just plain status?
I like Mercedes-Benzes. They are the best brand for me. It's not about status. I couldn't care less what people think about what I drive. I've leased and owned several in my short life. They're what I grew up with.

Old 09-06-2018, 01:44 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,705,805 times
Lightly used MB are going for VERY low prices. I was tempted, but there is a reason for these prices.
Lawyers are VERY expensive. Car dealers have their on retainer...do you?

In general, unless you have many years and many many thousands of dollars to throw at a problem, lawyers may not be the answer. If your state has a special agency for cars (lemon laws, etc.) or consumer affairs/mediation, that may be the better way to go....keep it friendly.

Remember, for every 10 people they rip off this way, 5 probably "eat it" and most of the other 5 never get their full value, so the dealer comes out ahead.

Sorry to hear - personally, I would never buy a used car from a new car dealer with the possible exception of one that is very new, under warranty and was originally sold by them (one owner and less than 2 years old and no lease)....

Luxury used cars like MB are especially bad. I bought one new MB in my life and it blew a head gasket among other things...all by 25K miles. I sold it with 50K miles...never again. Short of an S-Class (and maybe some E's) you aren't getting the true MB, but rather cars that are built to a price to compete with most every other maker.

Old 09-06-2018, 02:28 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,680,328 times
OP, sorry for your troubles, but it can be a trailer park used car lot in the rundown part of town or a Bentley dealership--car dealers are liars and scammers. Getting (as much as possible) money from you is their only objective. As soon as they get their (your) money they couldn't care less about anything.

Also, just as a piece of advice, if you want a good used luxury car, one word = LEXUS. Not quite the cachet of MB but I've got a 15 year old one in the garage that's never been to the shop for anything other than normal maintenance. I bought it when it was 8 years old, too. Would drive it to Alaska and back right now without a second thought.

Buying any German car out of warranty (let alone a 6 year old MB) is a huge gamble for any consumer.

Best of luck.

Old 09-06-2018, 07:52 PM

2,376 posts, read 2,940,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJT123 View Post
OP, sorry for your troubles, but it can be a trailer park used car lot in the rundown part of town or a Bentley dealership--car dealers are liars and scammers. Getting (as much as possible) money from you is their only objective. As soon as they get their (your) money they couldn't care less about anything.
Isn't the point of any business to make as much money as they can?

Plus all customers are honest, too, right? I know they all fully disclose the problems they are having with their used cars when they trade them to the dealer.

There are some bad dealers out there - no question - but many of them are good to work with and have been in business a long time for a reason. Unfortunately, sometimes you learn the hard way which ones are good or bad.

Old 09-06-2018, 09:21 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,680,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamweasel View Post
Isn't the point of any business to make as much money as they can?

Plus all customers are honest, too, right? I know they all fully disclose the problems they are having with their used cars when they trade them to the dealer.

There are some bad dealers out there - no question - but many of them are good to work with and have been in business a long time for a reason. Unfortunately, sometimes you learn the hard way which ones are good or bad.
I've been back and forth with someone else over this topic (possibly you) on another thread, but yes, car dealers have their horrible reputations for a reason. I sold cars for about a month at literally about the most reputable dealer in town--trust me, they're all scumbags, the higher up you go the scummier they get. I flat out quit because I couldn't in good conscience lie to people like they wanted us to do.

Of course a business is a business but stereotypes exist for a reason-- they're true mostly, at least I've found over my lifetime.

My Grandfather was a trust lawyer who literally made house calls--the least greedy and most morally sound man I've ever known--but yes, he knew how much everyone hated lawyers too. I have an attorney now that I'm dealing with who has cost me $10,000 for maybe 4 or 5 hours of work, ridiculous.

Old 09-06-2018, 09:56 PM

2,376 posts, read 2,940,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJT123 View Post
I've been back and forth with someone else over this topic (possibly you) on another thread, but yes, car dealers have their horrible reputations for a reason. I sold cars for about a month at literally about the most reputable dealer in town--trust me, they're all scumbags, the higher up you go the scummier they get. I flat out quit because I couldn't in good conscience lie to people like they wanted us to do.

Of course a business is a business but stereotypes exist for a reason-- they're true mostly, at least I've found over my lifetime.

My Grandfather was a trust lawyer who literally made house calls--the least greedy and most morally sound man I've ever known--but yes, he knew how much everyone hated lawyers too. I have an attorney now that I'm dealing with who has cost me $10,000 for maybe 4 or 5 hours of work, ridiculous.
Lawyers are the worst. Talk about a profession that nickels and dimes people to death...geez.

The biggest issue with car dealers is the profit margins on car sales is so small. It makes them fight and squeeze for every penny they can get out of someone. The return on sales percentage for new car departments Nationwide is horrendous. I mean heck, an average return on sales for an entire dealership averages about 4% and that includes the money from parts & service. New car returns are well below that.

"Good" dealers have learned the best way to make money is keep customers happy, stop the games, and create a customer base that not only buys from you repeatedly but who trusts you enough to get their car worked on there, too.

If you want to know who is a good dealer and who isn't then ask what their service absorption percentage is. The ones who don't have a clue will be well below 100% and the good ones will be above it. (Usually it ranges from 70% on the low end to 130% on the high end for car dealers.). The higher the number generally means that dealer knows how to take care of customers and run a smooth operation.

Old 09-07-2018, 04:13 PM

I wish respondents would read beyond the original post. I have not used an attorney. I recovered $2,000, and the AG wants to try for more.

To those respondents who want to continue to attack Mercedes-Benz and my decision to purchase and lease Mercedes-Benzes, I don't care what you think about the brand. I did not ask for your commentary on that.

To those who discouraged me from pursuing this, I have proved you wrong. Never accept this kind of behavior from any business.

Old 09-07-2018, 06:50 PM

8,702 posts, read 11,105,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Lightly used MB are going for VERY low prices. I was tempted, but there is a reason for these prices.
Lawyers are VERY expensive. Car dealers have their on retainer...do you?
You high? Lawyers aren’t free for dealers

Old 09-07-2018, 07:16 PM

13,354 posts, read 7,385,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
You high? Lawyers aren’t free for dealers
Dealers have deeper pockets to pay attorney's little guy gets screwed unless you have a great case against them sometimes get lucky. .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive