Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 11:07 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,550,099 times

Advertisements

I purchased a 6 year old Mercedes-Benz diesel vehicle from an Audi dealership earlier this year. This dealership had the vehicle inspected at the closest Mercedes-Benz dealership after my first test drive, and before I agreed to the purchase. Today, I learned from the Mercedes-Benz dealership that the Audi dealership lied to me about what was in the inspection report. This inspection had been performed after I had test driven the vehicle, and after I had noted the illuminated check engine light. The salesman said that he would have the check engine light evaluated. Today, I learned from a manager at the Mercedes-Benz dealership that the Audi dealership declined the check engine light diagnostic during their inspection. In his correspondence with me, my salesman blamed the check engine light on the cold weather, and told me that it was out after they brought it into their service bay.

When I took delivery of the vehicle, a family member and I test drove the vehicle once again. The check engine light was out. However, after we took delivery of the vehicle, the check engine light reappeared once we arrived home. I immediately contacted the salesmen about the matter and my deposit. All communication ceased. Emails, phone calls, and voicemails were ignored. I took the vehicle to my MB factory-trained mechanic. He identified a list of issues on the car. Faulty NOx sensors and a faulty camshaft position sensor were to blame for the check engine light. He further listed a stretch timing chain and oil cooler leak as mechanical problems. I spent more than $1,300 to replace the NOx sensors and faulty camshaft position sensor. No attempts at communication with the salesmen was successful.

It was after complaining to the Mercedes-Benz dealership that performed the inspection that I received information about how dishonest and fraudulent this Audi dealership has been. Today, the Mercedes-Benz dealer told me that their inspection identified more than $5,500 in necessary repairs to this vehicle! They identified precisely the same mechanical problems that my mechanic had identified. However, because Audi declined the check engine light diagnostic, they did not include the faulty NOx sensors that my mechanic and I identified.

At this point, I am escalating this to the sales manager and general manager. I am awaiting hearing back from them. I am aware that I am on very shaky legal standing here, unfortunately. The laws pertaining to professional DEALERSHIPS in this country are outrageous. I have purchased other pre-owned and new luxury cars (Mercedes-Benz, Aston Martin, BMW, Volvo, and Acura), and I am still in shock at how a luxury franchise dealership could sell me an expensive car that would have failed my state's emissions test the very day I took delivery. It is very clear that this dealer knew about all of this. Not only did they fail to disclose it, they outright lied to me about the contents of that inspection report. The inspection report from their own dealership that I did received mentioned nothing beyond rear brake wear, and a recommended detail cleaning.

I am looking for any advice on strategies to help me achieve some sort of mutually satisfactory resolution. This situation is spectacularly unethical, especially for a luxury car dealership. I did not go shopping at a used car lot, I went to an Audi dealership. At this point I am threatening this dealership to escalate this to my AG, the BBB, and other avenues for consumer and legal complaints. Any advice or shared experiences are much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2017, 06:58 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
With this kind of situation, if there is proof of fraud you can find a lawyer and sue them. If not, the AG and BBB may help a bit, but social media such as Yelp and their own Facebook page are more effective. There are also several websites that review car dealerships. You can even start your own facebook page as we did with a company that made awful TVs and wouldn't stand by their warranty a few years ago. Just be careful to give only facts that can be supported. When I had a problem with a service department ripoff, I got a full refund after an email to the radio station sales manager that played constant commercials for the dealership, and telling them that I would have to stop listening to them after my experience because the commercials made me sick.

Old 11-21-2017, 07:36 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,554,229 times
As long as you have the report from the Merc dealer, I would tell the Audi dealer that unless they contact you and solve this immediately to your satisfaction, you will be contacting a lawyer. What they did was fraudulent.

Old 11-21-2017, 11:24 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times
You saw a check engine light and you bought the car anyway?

Old 11-21-2017, 01:11 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,082,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
after we took delivery of the vehicle, the check engine light reappeared once we arrived home. I immediately contacted the salesmen about the matter and my deposit. All communication ceased. Emails, phone calls, and voicemails were ignored.
At that point, you should've given an ultimatum and followed through, "if my call is not returned within 1 hour and the car isn't fixed by you within 24 hours, I will call the credit card company/bank to dispute charge/stop payment on the deposit."

No need to be nice to them. So many car dealerships are just plain crooks.

Old 11-21-2017, 01:43 PM

6,556 posts, read 7,133,096 times
Was this dealer in Chicago? If so, I’m not surprised one bit. I’ll never buy another vehicle from that city again, even from a high end place I did that sells used Ferrari’s and Lamborghini’s... I should have listened to my Milw friends

Old 11-21-2017, 03:07 PM

The Mercedes-Benz dealership is afraid to release the actual report to me. They are requiring that I get permission from the Audi dealership.

Nonetheless, the pre-owned manager at the Mercedes-Benz dealership disclosed the contents of the inspection report, and confirmed that the Audi dealership had ordered the inspection.

I have decided that I am going to seek counsel to advise me on how to proceed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
You saw a check engine light and you bought the car anyway?
I was told that the check engine light had been addressed, and it was off when I returned to look at the vehicle again and take delivery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
Was this dealer in Chicago? If so, I’m not surprised one bit. I’ll never buy another vehicle from that city again, even from a high end place I did that sells used Ferrari’s and Lamborghini’s... I should have listened to my Milw friends
Yes, this dealer is in suburban Chicago. I have had a mixed experience buying new cars in the Chicago area (I've backed out of a deal before at a local Mercedes-Benz dealership). My pre-owned buying experience was very positive at an Aston Martin dealership. I did have a mixed experience purchasing a pre-owned vehicle from a dealer in suburban Philadelphia. There were no major mechanical problems with the vehicle, but a major service had not been done. I had been led to believe it had been done, but I was not surprised when it hadn't been since I had had two inspections done. That major service was $2000 out of my pocket.

Did your experience happen to be with Willow Automotive, Exotic Motors, High Line Auto Sales, Jidd Motors, or Global Luxury Imports?

Old 11-21-2017, 04:24 PM

6,556 posts, read 7,133,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
The Mercedes-Benz dealership is afraid to release the actual report to me. They are requiring that I get permission from the Audi dealership.

Nonetheless, the pre-owned manager at the Mercedes-Benz dealership disclosed the contents of the inspection report, and confirmed that the Audi dealership had ordered the inspection.

I have decided that I am going to seek counsel to advise me on how to proceed.

I was told that the check engine light had been addressed, and it was off when I returned to look at the vehicle again and take delivery.

Yes, this dealer is in suburban Chicago. I have had a mixed experience buying new cars in the Chicago area (I've backed out of a deal before at a local Mercedes-Benz dealership). My pre-owned buying experience was very positive at an Aston Martin dealership. I did have a mixed experience purchasing a pre-owned vehicle from a dealer in suburban Philadelphia. There were no major mechanical problems with the vehicle, but a major service had not been done. I had been led to believe it had been done, but I was not surprised when it hadn't been since I had had two inspections done. That major service was $2000 out of my pocket.

Did your experience happen to be with Willow Automotive, Exotic Motors, High Line Auto Sales, Jidd Motors, or Global Luxury Imports?
It was Mancuso Motorsports. I failed on my pre-buying part, but this car was such a piece of s**t, people still think I work at my local dealer because I was there so often.

Old 11-21-2017, 05:24 PM
KCZ

4,673 posts, read 3,665,713 times
Hindsight is always 20/20, but for the rest of us, it's a good reminder to get a copy of any pre-purchase inspection report. If you're pursuing a legal remedy, I would think that your ability to get your hands on that document now would coerce the dealership to pay for the repairs.

Old 11-21-2017, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
It was Mancuso Motorsports. I failed on my pre-buying part, but this car was such a piece of s**t, people still think I work at my local dealer because I was there so often.
Mancuso has a mixed reputation. I have read some horror stories about them that are similar to what I am currently experiencing. I avoid used car lots, because they are not backed up by a franchise. Many auto lenders will only approve loans for cars purchased at franchised dealerships for the very reason that used car lots are viewed as more unscrupulous. I really empathize with your experience with Mancuso.

Unfortunately, doing your due diligence on pre-owned car purchases is much more easier said than done. Very often dealers will refuse inspections. I have had this happen a number of times before. Alternatively, they might demand that the inspection be done on-site (almost no one allows their mechanics to work in someone else's shop).

As an update, I am going to the Mercedes-Benz dealership tomorrow. I have a service appointment with them. I will demand a copy of that inspection report. If they don't give it to me after having already told me what is in it and who ordered it, I am going to make a scene. This is costing me too much money and angst to let it go without a fight. This car cost far too much money to be going through this nonsense.

Also, Exotic Motors is so awful that I have requested the media look into them. They have so many complaints I do not understand how they continue to operate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive