Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 05:11 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,231,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle grease View Post
It happened to a friend's grandpa. It could happen to anyone! Not only that but in a wreck that cuts or kills power or they malfunction, do you want to be trapped inside if a fire were to start? I sure as hell wouldn't!
28 years of driving, 17 vehicles, 13 of which had(ve) power everything. Numerous high mile rentals and driving other vehicles. Over half a million miles driven. Never lost power on a train track or in a river, or had a fire. Sure it could happen, but it's not even close to a consideration when choosing between powered or manual anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2010, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
I agree with you on the EQ but don't agree with the casual dismissal of paper maps. Like maps, GPS is a handy tool. A big difference between the two is you have to use your brain to read the map and then pay close attention to the road ahead while with GPS, it tells you what to do causing some drivers to turn off their brain and blindly trust the GPS unit. To so closely rely upon the GPS alone is to turn your brain off. One day I may use a GPS device when traveling long distance or to a city I've never been to before. In those cases I'll probably have a GPS app rather than buy a model just for that one trip alone. I did many travels before GPS was ever invented. Sometimes I got lost and some of those times it led me to a fantastic restaurant or a beautiful view of the mountains or lake. Not everyone is as clueless as the Griswalds (National Lampoon's Vacation).
I'm only dismissing maps for myself. GPS has served me well, and although not perfect I've found it to be very reliable, in my experience. Sightseeing comes later, after resetting the GPS. ;-)

My work requires me to go to places I've never been, often out away from civilization, and this is one place where GPS shines. It can tell me where I am if I get turned around. A map can't really do that, unless you've really been paying attention. I need to be looking at my surroundings when on the job, not looking at a map.

I'm a destination kind of person. While I enjoy seeing what's around me on a trip, business or pleasure, I mainly want to get where I'm going.

Old 10-11-2010, 05:21 PM

3,511 posts, read 5,307,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
28 years of driving, 17 vehicles, 13 of which had(ve) power everything. Numerous high mile rentals and driving other vehicles. Over half a million miles driven. Never lost power on a train track or in a river, or had a fire. Sure it could happen, but it's not even close to a consideration when choosing between powered or manual anything.
I don't mind power locks. I even have them myself but automatic locking doors are something I would never have. If I want them locked I will do it myself. Most of them are able to be overridden per your manual instructions. Turn the key on and off three times in ten seconds, wait another 10 and do it one more time or whatever. Read your manual if you don't like them.

Old 10-11-2010, 06:27 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,534,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
I'm only dismissing maps for myself. GPS has served me well, and although not perfect I've found it to be very reliable, in my experience. Sightseeing comes later, after resetting the GPS. ;-)

My work requires me to go to places I've never been, often out away from civilization, and this is one place where GPS shines. It can tell me where I am if I get turned around. A map can't really do that, unless you've really been paying attention. I need to be looking at my surroundings when on the job, not looking at a map.

I'm a destination kind of person. While I enjoy seeing what's around me on a trip, business or pleasure, I mainly want to get where I'm going.
Agreed, for people who must drive or travel for work I'd rather a GPS unit than a big pile of maps. It's fine as long as the driver doesn't blindly obey the GPS unit. For families who travel on vacation only once a year, is it really worth the expense to purchase for that one trip a year?

Old 10-11-2010, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Agreed, for people who must drive or travel for work I'd rather a GPS unit than a big pile of maps. It's fine as long as the driver doesn't blindly obey the GPS unit. For families who travel on vacation only once a year, is it really worth the expense to purchase for that one trip a year?
Probably not. BUT an option would be to use what I have. If I travel I carry a laptop, and I have Delorme Street Atlas as my GPS, on my laptop. Less expensive than a stand alone unit.

Old 10-11-2010, 08:30 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
I never did like those DRL (daytime running lights). I'm not sure but I think with some cars, you could not even override them and turn them off.
In a couple cars I've had you could disable them by pulling the e-brake lever up one notch.

Strangely enough, that's also how you disable the AWD system on PDK-equipped AWD Porsches to make them RWD.

Old 10-11-2010, 08:33 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,937,018 times
There are newer variants of both of these.

My family used to have a 59 Caddy with a button on the floor, much like the old dimmer switches, that would change radio stations. It may have helped to keep drivers focused on driving - or finding the button. Another option was air suspension which could be adjusted to lift and lower the rear of the car depending on the amount of weight placed on the rear axle. I thought it was pretty handy at the drive-in for allowing us kids in the rear seat to see the movie screen.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:07 PM

970 posts, read 2,969,028 times
When my wife was looking for a new car, she looked at a Volvo with a hearbeat sensor.

Basically, it could 'sense' if a carjacker was hiding on the floor of your car, and alert you via a flashing light on the key fob.

If the person was hiding on the seat, or laying on their back, or outside of the car, however, the sensor would basically be useless.

I guess someone at Volvo was watching too many 60's slasher movies...

Old 10-11-2010, 09:31 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by square peg View Post
Another option was air suspension which could be adjusted to lift and lower the rear of the car depending on the amount of weight placed on the rear axle. I thought it was pretty handy at the drive-in for allowing us kids in the rear seat to see the movie screen.
I had an Olds Cutelilass wagon with automatic load adjusters. It worked even when the key was turned off. I outfitted the wagon for camping, but it was hard to sleep in it because every time you roll over, the thing engages and tries to equalize your bed with a noisy little motor right under your ear. The only way I could disable it was by pulling the fuse that also cut off the radio.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:47 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,534,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remisc View Post
When my wife was looking for a new car, she looked at a Volvo with a hearbeat sensor.

Basically, it could 'sense' if a carjacker was hiding on the floor of your car, and alert you via a flashing light on the key fob.

If the person was hiding on the seat, or laying on their back, or outside of the car, however, the sensor would basically be useless.

I guess someone at Volvo was watching too many 60's slasher movies...
I've known some women who still fear this situation and so they now use the "panic" button on their key fob to activate the horns. The average criminal would jump if the horn went off at the car he's hiding behind or in. Then she could see him and walk away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive