Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 06:10 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,258,460 times

Advertisements

how many years did cruise control take to get right? That would probably be considered level .5

Cars that warn you that you are leaving your lane or stop for you when an accident is detected is approaching Level 1 autonomy.

Tesla's auto pilot mode is probably Level 2 autonomy.

My point is there is way more automation than you are probably aware of right now.

Why is it so important? it's not, but as people have lost the skill to drive manual transmissions, so they have also lost the ability to parallel park and soon the ability to drive
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2018, 07:31 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,917,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
There are plenty of completely driverless cars being tested right now in California, Arizona and Pittsburgh. G.M. just applied to NHTSA for a driverless car service - no steering wheel, no accelerator or brake pedal that they have scheduled to be rolled out in 2019. It’s arriving much faster than you believe. I don’t know of which slew of shortcomings you are speaking of. Autonomous cars are far far safer than human piloted vehicles and have driven millions of miles with only a handful of accidents. The less idiot people drivers out there I have to deal with the better.
The no-steering wheel, no-brake pedal thing is what I was referring to, also. Saw that on the news today. Hard to believe this sort of thing would go into production if it were not pretty close to the horizon.

Old 01-14-2018, 07:37 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,761,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
I don't really understand this business of driverless cars or cars without steering wheels. Apparently these are in development now but can this occur without some sort of web of "smart" streets? I don't hear anybody talking about that.

I would be nice if fatal accidents were eliminated or decreased in number, but it sounds really frightening to put oneself in a high speed vehicle and trust your life to the technology.
Accidents will decrease but not eliminated until all cars are driven by computers and they can all communicate with each other.

I don't think today's tech will allows for safe fully automated driving until enough money spent on roads and street signs improve computer communication. I much rather drive myself than become a victim of human caused accidents. If some drunk or maniac is on the road the computer driven car is not going to be smart enough to anticipate and avoid lunatics on the road yet.

Old 01-14-2018, 09:06 PM

8,368 posts, read 6,465,628 times
They can't even get my Wi Fi to work for a week and a half.

Old 01-14-2018, 09:16 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,715,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
They can't even get my Wi Fi to work for a week and a half.
Lol. Same thing with that stupid fingerprint reader on my phone, it works when it feels like it.

Old 01-15-2018, 10:23 AM

9,912 posts, read 7,257,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Is this part of the equation? What if there aren't any other driverless cars close by?
Car to Car communication will be implemented overtime to allow vehicles to travel closer together and at a greater speed. It's not going to happen overnight - it will take decades for it to be implemented.

Human operated cars will still be around but IMHO, they won't be allowed to be used on high speed roads.

Old 01-15-2018, 10:58 AM

25,631 posts, read 17,373,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
........... I don’t know of which slew of shortcomings you are speaking of. Autonomous cars are far far safer than human piloted vehicles and have driven millions of miles with only a handful of accidents. The less idiot people drivers out there I have to deal with the better.
*You can't go anywhere you want in a car that has no provision for a driver.
* Driverless cars will cost over $100,000.
* Snow and heavy rain cause navigation problems.
*Special situation road signs cause difficulty for the robot.

Like I said, I think it will be an assist for the great majority of us, but there may be some driverless shuttles available in some areas.

Old 01-15-2018, 11:43 AM

34,289 posts, read 19,415,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Accidents will decrease but not eliminated until all cars are driven by computers and they can all communicate with each other.
Actually.....very few things are accidents. Most of what we cal accidents are entirely preventable, and computers will prevent them. The goal is for these self driving systems to be better then the top 10% of drivers.

Quote:
I don't think today's tech will allows for safe fully automated driving until enough money spent on roads and street signs improve computer communication. I much rather drive myself than become a victim of human caused accidents. If some drunk or maniac is on the road the computer driven car is not going to be smart enough to anticipate and avoid lunatics on the road yet.
That computer driven car will actually be better then you at it. You don't have 360 degree vision, it does. Your reflexes are incredibly slow by comparison, and you take quite a long time to estimate various important pieces of data like velocity. And the computer has gamed out billions of possibilities, and planned for them. If you are worried about other drivers, then a self driving car is the way to go once its out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
*You can't go anywhere you want in a car that has no provision for a driver.
You can go 99.9999% of the places you want too. Im sure somehow you will survive
Quote:
* Driverless cars will cost over $100,000.
Based on? The reality is that Teslas price point for a model 3 with self driving is 43K. And this is the newest most expensive tech. Price differential between self driving, and non self driving? 8K.

Quote:
* Snow and heavy rain cause navigation problems.
LOL. FAR less then you might think. It can see better then a human, and can make judgement calls better. Waymo and others have been running training scenarios in Michigan to help teach their cars how to deal with snow. This is not the barrier so many people think it is.

Quote:
*Special situation road signs cause difficulty for the robot.
Like? You do know the cars can read...right? And that they have a petaflop or better powered expert system AI to help them with this right onboard the car. Additionally as this rolls out I suspect a ecosystem of specialized signage will occur.
Quote:
Like I said, I think it will be an assist for the great majority of us, but there may be some driverless shuttles available in some areas.
I think you vastly underestimate the impacts of this. I can see subscription services for vehicles that can be called on demand to your location in under 10 minutes, (or scheduled), that cost less then owning and running your own vehicle would.

Old 01-15-2018, 12:00 PM

9,460 posts, read 11,216,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Guess you've never really thought about flying then, eh? Get on a commercial airliner and you're traveling WAY faster and being controlled by computers.

You'll get used to the idea, just like you got used to hauling around a smartphone and being connected every second of every day. Plenty of time for you to get used to the idea, it won't happen for quite awhile.
Running on autopilot at 35,000' is quite different from negotiating city streets with busy traffic, stoplights, turns, not to mention erratic and distracted drivers.
There's really little comparison, driving is a very complex activity.

And though the pie-in-the-sky zero traffic deaths is a good talking point, I don't suppose anybody here has ever had a computer crash, phone go dead for no reason, or tablet fizz out on them?

Old 01-15-2018, 01:15 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,547,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Us on the retirement forum don't need to worry about driverless cars thank goodness.
Ha! We're the ones who need them the most. If they had to compete against our reflexes and judgment we would have had them years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive