Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 01:11 PM

9,368 posts, read 6,967,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28lt1 View Post
As a note, the last couple of generations of Corvettes are designed as convertibles, and the roof is added, more than the other way around...

From Business Insider:
"That's because, according to GM design director Tom Peters, the Corvette Stingray Convertible was conceived, designed, and engineered initially as an open-top car. That allowed plenty of roof flexibility (with the targa top, for instance) without interfering with the structural qualities of the car.

It also allowed engineers to go with the exact same suspension tuning and wheel and tire choice, whether for Coupes or Convertibles.

As Corvette chief engineer Tadge Juechter later pointed out to us, the roof (and even the roll hoop) aren't structurally necessary, as the new aluminum chassis and passenger-cell structure allows."
Thanks for the clarification on the point! Would you disagree on the Camaro and Mustang platforms not being designed primarily as Verts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2018, 03:51 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,551,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
I hear you on the C7.
I remember waiting for the C6 to drop in price, but by the time it got to the price I wanted, the C7 came out and I no longer wanted a C6. Now I'm hoping the C7 drops in price and the C8 sucks.
That's how I felt about the 2014 generation of the mustang. I like the older body style and that it still had the live axle (lots of long flat Texas roads here so I'm not as concerned about handling). I figured I could get an older one for pretty cheap and be happy, but the 2018 has like 40 more HP, and even more potential for power with a higher compression ratio and additional port injectors.

I saw a comparison with an intake and E85 that made 48 more WHP and 30 more WTQ. That's pretty awesome with minimal mods and no forced induction.

Ford also said we'll have a hybrid mustang by 2020 with more power than a V8 and of course, instantaneous torque.

Cars don't seem to be getting any less awesome.

Old 02-19-2018, 03:58 PM

17,211 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Quote:
I hear you on the C7.
I remember waiting for the C6 to drop in price, but by the time it got to the price I wanted, the C7 came out and I no longer wanted a C6. Now I'm hoping the C7 drops in price and the C8 sucks.
Well, if the enthusiast community decides the C8 "sucks" - not a likely thing, but, if it did happen, the C7 would not drop in price. Consider what has happened to E30 M3 vs E36 M3 prices over the last few years. When "new and improved" ain't, what's old is worth more money.

Actually, for my money, although it's not as technically impressive a car, the C5 is a good-looking car, and probably more than fast enough for 99% of us, 99% of the time.

Corvettes, like sex and beer, really can't make it into "it sucks" territory, at least IMHO. Some are better than others, but none are really bad.

Old 02-19-2018, 04:29 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,939,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Well, if the enthusiast community decides the C8 "sucks" - not a likely thing, but, if it did happen, the C7 would not drop in price. Consider what has happened to E30 M3 vs E36 M3 prices over the last few years. When "new and improved" ain't, what's old is worth more money.

Actually, for my money, although it's not as technically impressive a car, the C5 is a good-looking car, and probably more than fast enough for 99% of us, 99% of the time.

Corvettes, like sex and beer, really can't make it into "it sucks" territory, at least IMHO. Some are better than others, but none are really bad.
I had a C5 and loved it.
My best case scenario is the C8 sucks for me but not everybody else. If they made more power but dropped the V8, I can see that happening.

Old 02-19-2018, 05:07 PM

5,130 posts, read 6,123,485 times
Congrats on your Mustang purchase......reading through these posts and my advice would have been to purchase a first or second generation Viper which you can find in really decent shape from the low thirtys up.

The Viper in my opinion is the affordable toy that so many of us want for that weekend cruise, cars and coffee and it makes the ultimate statement. Raw unbridled power.

Modifications and aftermarket bolt ons are not needed. I would say that unless your a seasoned driver the Viper is going to be more car than you can ever handle, and not to tick off the Corvette or Mustang crowd but for every 100 corvettes or 100 Mustangs you see, you will most like only see one Viper.

With the Viper there are not any distinctions as to whether one generation is better than the other. They will all scare the sh$t out of you.

As far as the age comments.......our local Cars and Coffee which gets about 400 plus cars each month gets a tremendous amount of Vettes showing up and like the new Camaro's these seem for the most part to be driven by guys from the late fifties into the sixties.

The Challenger and Mustang crowd are the younger twenty to thirty somethings, and where the heck these young guys get the cash for the newer BMW M's is beyond me.

At 57 it is a bit overwhelming going to these gatherings and only seeing a handful of older cars (chrome bumper cars). After years of attending car shows over the years the trend towards newer performance cars makes me feel like a bit of a dinosaur.

My ride is an extremely pristine low mileage 1998 BMW M3 in Hellrot Red.

Last edited by JBtwinz; 02-19-2018 at 05:22 PM..

Old 02-19-2018, 05:47 PM

10,345 posts, read 8,557,056 times
I had a 97 blue and white viper gts. I will have to say you better love it because it is a very uncomfortable car.
At the time I did love it and drove mine from Houston to Ca when I bought it. I often did 200 to 400 mile one day road trips in it.
You can go for weeks and never see another viper even in car crazy california.
I was in an exotic car cruise sandwiched in between two Lamborghinis. We drove by a little league game and all the kids ran to the fence yelling " Viper" not even paying attention to the Lambos.
In the viper everyone in a Mustang tried to race you on the street. Corvettes not so much. Two different demographics.
I modified mine with a heads, headers, supercharger, and nitrous. It was scary fast. I took of the 2 power adders and I have to say it was kind of boring after that.
But it was one of the most stunning cars for the money. I had a lot of fun. But like I said, you have to be kind of hard core to endure it.

Buying a "Fun Car" - 2007-2010 C6 Corvette vs. 2015 - 2017 Mustang GT-kevin-sel-portrait-viper-.jpg

Old 02-19-2018, 05:55 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,939,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
Congrats on your Mustang purchase......reading through these posts and my advice would have been to purchase a first or second generation Viper which you can find in really decent shape from the low thirtys up.

The Viper in my opinion is the affordable toy that so many of us want for that weekend cruise, cars and coffee and it makes the ultimate statement. Raw unbridled power.

Modifications and aftermarket bolt ons are not needed. I would say that unless your a seasoned driver the Viper is going to be more car than you can ever handle, and not to tick off the Corvette or Mustang crowd but for every 100 corvettes or 100 Mustangs you see, you will most like only see one Viper.

With the Viper there are not any distinctions as to whether one generation is better than the other. They will all scare the sh$t out of you.

As far as the age comments.......our local Cars and Coffee which gets about 400 plus cars each month gets a tremendous amount of Vettes showing up and like the new Camaro's these seem for the most part to be driven by guys from the late fifties into the sixties.

The Challenger and Mustang crowd are the younger twenty to thirty somethings, and where the heck these young guys get the cash for the newer BMW M's is beyond me.

At 57 it is a bit overwhelming going to these gatherings and only seeing a handful of older cars (chrome bumper cars). After years of attending car shows over the years the trend towards newer performance cars makes me feel like a bit of a dinosaur.

My ride is an extremely pristine low mileage 1998 BMW M3 in Hellrot Red.
Corvette owners are in their 50 and 60’s because it’s an expensive 2 seater. Before you have kids, you usually don’t yet have the money, when you finally start making money, you then have kids who not only cost you that money, but makes the Vette an even more impractical toy. Finally when the kids move out, you can afford and justify the Vette, but now you’re in your mid 50’s.
The M3 on the other hand you can pretend is a family car with 4 seats which is much easier to pitch to the wife.

Anybody can afford pretty much anything if they shuffle money around enough. What one person considers “affordable”, could mean after their 401k is maxed out, kid’s college funds are paided up, emergency fund fully funded, a decent vacation budget set for the year, etc. Another guy could consider any car payment that’s equal to or less than their paycheck as “affordable”.

Old 02-19-2018, 06:30 PM

957 posts, read 2,020,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
Thanks for the clarification on the point! Would you disagree on the Camaro and Mustang platforms not being designed primarily as Verts?
You are correct on the Camaro and Mustang. The latest Camaro has additional underbody stiffining to make up for the loss of the roof. I don't believe the Mustang has any extra stiffness added (I could be wrong) but as the roof is structural, it does lose something taking it out....

Old 02-19-2018, 06:34 PM

17,211 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Quote:
Corvette owners are in their 50 and 60’s because it’s an expensive 2 seater. Before you have kids, you usually don’t yet have the money, when you finally start making money, you then have kids who not only cost you that money, but makes the Vette an even more impractical toy. Finally when the kids move out, you can afford and justify the Vette, but now you’re in your mid 50’s.
The M3 on the other hand you can pretend is a family car with 4 seats which is much easier to pitch to the wife.

Anybody can afford pretty much anything if they shuffle money around enough. What one person considers “affordable”, could mean after their 401k is maxed out, kid’s college funds are paided up, emergency fund fully funded, a decent vacation budget set for the year, etc. Another guy could consider any car payment that’s equal to or less than their paycheck as “affordable”.
There is an answer to that, "child free". If you can't start out with a 'vette, at least get a Miata, and when dating, any reference to the unsuitability of the 2-seat car for "fambly" use, you give that gal the boot!

Actually if you don't mind that the C4 is the Rodney Dangerfield of the Corvette world and does not get any respect, you can find one of those really fairly cheap.

Old 02-19-2018, 06:58 PM

5,130 posts, read 6,123,485 times
Quote:

I think times have changed, those days of dad tinkering on his street rod or older muscle car buying parts here or there are gone. A vast majority of people just don't have the time or energy anymore to follow their dreams and build that Sunday car.

It is a lot easier to just purchase a new Vette or other new vehicle with all the creature comforts and raw power than taking the time and effort to build something which could take a few years. These cars can double as daily drivers also.

The younger generation prioritizes differently today, with children or without. High end SUV's, Jeeps and Polaris off roaders, etc. I can't think of but one or two I work with that wants to wrench on cars to build that street rod or muscle car.

A true auto enthusiast will find a way. Being single, married or married with children, these guys find a way to build their cars from the ground up.

As far as my M3, I don't pretend to think it is a family car, it was on my list and sits in the garage until the next meet or Cars and Coffee. Our old beach Jeep is parked outside along with my wife's Honda and my Honda. If I had a two car garage, a Viper would be sitting next to the M3 regardless of my having children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive