Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 11:22 PM

9,519 posts, read 4,348,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post
If you don't want to bog the launch, sure.
I've only had 2 cars that required a high rpm clutch dump to launch hard - and both were turbo AWD cars. Dumping the clutch at high RPM on a RWD or FWD car with any sort of power is going to result in no forward motion and a cloud of tire smoke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2018, 04:21 AM

5,675 posts, read 5,890,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourwakeupcall View Post
i've only had 2 cars that required a high rpm clutch dump to launch hard - and both were turbo awd cars. Dumping the clutch at high rpm on a rwd or fwd car with any sort of power is going to result in no forward motion and a cloud of tire smoke.
bingo!!!!!

Old 02-06-2018, 06:39 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,474,087 times
I'm a Mustang guy, but I would own a Vette if given a chance! Just, of course, in practicality, I can haul my wife and kid in a Mustang if I had to. Can't say the same for the Vette - which might be all the more reason to get one lol!

Old 02-06-2018, 06:41 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,094,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post

Oops touched off a fanboy nerve. Sorry. Better fix that. Yes, the mustangs are the greatest sports cars ever made. They are made specifically for twisty roads no matter what the manufacturer says. They are not designed primarily to be straight line pony cars, nope. In fact, they are the best car ever made by anyone. Only gods drive Mustangs and no god would ever drive anything else.
Knock it off, You KNOW I never said or implied anything of the sort. Sorry I discredited your ignorance with facts. Get a clue.

Last edited by Tiffer E38; 02-06-2018 at 06:56 AM..

Old 02-06-2018, 08:08 AM

18,805 posts, read 8,479,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
Seriously? Anything that can remotely be described as a performance car (AWD excluded) will effortlessly smoke the tires off the line. No clutch dump or power braking required. Makes no difference if its an automatic or manual. Turning off the nannies and stomping the loud pedal is all it takes. In fact, the real trick is to launch quickly without sending the tires up in a cloud of smoke. Even with fairly large (285/35-19) super sticky summer-only tires, my current car requires extreme care in order to prevent the tires from going up in smoke on the 1-2 shift - with an automatic. And this is a bone-stock car that isn't particularly fast by today's standards.

However, empirical data showing that automatics are faster than manuals in both a straight line and around a road course notwithstanding, you simply can't beat a manual transmission for driving engagement and pure fun on a twisty road.
Newer C7 Vettes have launch control - potentially making the take off ideal and reproducible. The C6 does not have it.

Old 02-06-2018, 08:47 AM

11,350 posts, read 16,714,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amploud View Post
I'm planning to buy a used "fun car" this year. This is will not be a daily driver. My "musts" are: manual transmission, V8 Engine, rear wheel drive, no turbos or superchargers. I dislike the styling of the newer Camaro, so I've easily ruled that out. Ideally, I'd like to spend less than $30K and want something with fewer than 50K miles and a 0 - 60 time of ~5 seconds or less. I'm also looking for something reliable that I could take on vacation or weekend road trips, so I'm not looking at older "Classic" cars.

As of now, the cars that appeal most to me that fit this criteria are the 2007-2010 C6 Corvette vs. 2015 - 2017 Mustang GT. As for the Corvettes, this would most likely be a base model but I have seen a few Z06's around this price and mileage in my area. I have a soft spot for Mustangs as I've owned them in the past.

I'd like to hear others thoughts and opinions on this topic. What would you choose and why? What other car would you recommend instead?
Depends on your age.

Fact = Vette is an old mans car.

One of many articles proving my statement.

Five reasons the new Corvette will stay an old man's car: Chevy's attempt to get Gen X in a C7 Corvette is doomed to fail | Autoweek

Old 02-06-2018, 08:55 AM

17,326 posts, read 22,073,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
If you have that kind of money to buy a toy, why not go with an older Lamborghini or Ferrari? Ive seen numerous older mid 90s Diablos in the 40-60K range!
Really? Were they in a train collision, a fire or a flood?

A quick google search shows 21 for sale, for 165K-330K
21 Lamborghini Diablo For Sale - duPont REGISTRY

Old 02-06-2018, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
Depends on your age.

Fact = Vette is an old mans car.

One of many articles proving my statement.

Five reasons the new Corvette will stay an old man's car: Chevy's attempt to get Gen X in a C7 Corvette is doomed to fail | Autoweek
Vette = Blue Collar Ferrari

Usually driven by bald old guys that try to insert "the Vette" into as many sentences as possible!

Hey did you watch the Superbowl?

Yeah, I took the Vette to the supermarket and got beer and chips and put them in the Vette. Then I took the Vette by my buddy's house to drop off the food/beer then shot back to my house in the Vette to get cleaned up because I got to look as good as the Vette! So since the weather looked good I took the Vette back to my buddy's house to watch the game. I only had one beer because that Vette has a lot of power and it could get away from you if your not careful! I'll probably wash and wax the Vette next weekend!

Old 02-06-2018, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Yes, but an auto in a performance car is still just wrong. Performance cars are for drivers, drivers want to drive, not let a computer drive. What is the point in a self driving performance car?

Driving a manual transmission also improves your spelling.
The exotic manufacturers disagree......Ferrari, Lambo, McClaren have all given up on the 3rd pedal. Porsche has waffled on the issue.

Old 02-06-2018, 09:21 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,843,742 times
Go with the Vette without a doubt. It has one of the most reliable drive trains ever put in a car. You can beat the snot out of it all day long and it begs for more. They are incredibly fun to drive. If you find a good deal on a Vette for in the neighborhood of $25,000 and you take care of it, you will hardly see any depreciation and most likely down the road it will actually appreciate. You won't hardly lose any money on a Vette.

The Mustangs are a dual overhead cam engine jammed into the bay tight nightmare to work on. Fun to drive but that is about it. You are guaranteed to lose money on them. If you buy one now for around $25,000, it will be worth around $5000 to $8000 in about 5 to 8 years.

Hands down, buy a Vette.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive