Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 11:37 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,954,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
If you have that kind of money to buy a toy, why not go with an older Lamborghini or Ferrari? Ive seen numerous older mid 90s Diablos in the 40-60K range!
Not everybody has a Ferrari dealership around the corner to get $10k clutch replacements every 4 years or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2018, 11:39 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,145,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amploud View Post
I'm planning to buy a used "fun car" this year. This is will not be a daily driver. My "musts" are: manual transmission, V8 Engine, rear wheel drive, no turbos or superchargers. I dislike the styling of the newer Camaro, so I've easily ruled that out. Ideally, I'd like to spend less than $30K and want something with fewer than 50K miles and a 0 - 60 time of ~5 seconds or less. I'm also looking for something reliable that I could take on vacation or weekend road trips, so I'm not looking at older "Classic" cars.

As of now, the cars that appeal most to me that fit this criteria are the 2007-2010 C6 Corvette vs. 2015 - 2017 Mustang GT. As for the Corvettes, this would most likely be a base model but I have seen a few Z06's around this price and mileage in my area. I have a soft spot for Mustangs as I've owned them in the past.

I'd like to hear others thoughts and opinions on this topic. What would you choose and why? What other car would you recommend instead?
Either. Just please buy a standard. There is nothing more weird and wrong than a sports car with automatic transmission.

Old 02-05-2018, 11:43 AM

1,795 posts, read 1,879,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Either. Just please buy a standard. There is nothing more weird and wrong than a sports car with automatic transmission.
I disagree I rather just have a fast car and the autos are faster now than the manuel's.

Old 02-05-2018, 11:51 AM

5,459 posts, read 6,058,580 times
Get a C5 Z06!

The interior leaves a lot to be desired, the sound system is mediocre, there is no bluetooth pairing, etc, etc.

BUT, you don't buy the car for those things, you buy it for fun, amusement park, roller coaster, G-force FUN.

It is dang near a track ready car yet a street tractable vehicle at anything from stop and go traffic to highway cruising. As a bonus it gets great MPG if you let it. (dare you!)

If you need a back seat, buy a sedan.

Old 02-05-2018, 12:03 PM

957 posts, read 2,023,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
I'll have to think a bit as to what my C7 has that the C6 did not.

Better Bose sound. Built in vs added Sub.

No more CD changer.

*Mag Ride. But they had an earlier version, not worth it IMO in the C6. This one is worth it.
*Weather, Eco, tour, sport and track modes. These are worth it if you can go C7. Like having 3 different cars.

D shaped steering wheel if that means anything to you.

Smaller rear hatch compartment. Active rear hatch pull down.

Neater display with apps I don't use.

Aux input for Pandora that I do use.

8 speed auto vs 6 speed manual in the C6.

Remote and cell phone start and monitoring.

Non-rocking seats.

e-brake instead of lever.
A few others you don't list that are on the C7 and not the C6 (list will get long if we really try)

LED DRLs
Backup Camera
Color HUD
Ventilated Seats
7 Speed Manual (OP wants manual)
Cylinder Deactivation
Upgraded interior materials (and styling)
Navigation that doesn't take reading the manual 26 times to use
Navigation and radio that doesn't look like a 64 bit Sega Genesis
Configurable digital gauge displays
Active Rev Match
Launch Control
And I'm sure many more

Old 02-05-2018, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
I disagree I rather just have a fast car and the autos are faster now than the manuel's.
how do you peel out with an auto? There is NOTHING like revving up the tach and popping that clutch baby. Nothing.

Old 02-05-2018, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
I don't know about that Mexican guy, Manuel, but if you are coordinated, a shift is faster, I leave cars at the light every stinking time. Maybe they are just a little slow on the accelerator, but their automatic transmission cars are always in my rear view mirror.

Old 02-05-2018, 12:13 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,879,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I don't know about that Mexican guy, Manuel, but if you are coordinated, a shift is faster, I leave cars at the light every stinking time. Maybe they are just a little slow on the accelerator, but their automatic transmission cars are always in my rear view mirror.
Most people that own manual's are not professional drivers thou so your point is moot.

Old 02-05-2018, 12:16 PM

604 posts, read 653,918 times
Go for best value for an older 911 that you can get for around $30 - make sure the IMS bearing has been updated or plan about $3k to do it (with lube to it).

Cannot top the 911 for fun handling sports car.

I have driven and owned BMW/Audi/MB & driven Mustang/Vette, still there is no comparison to the 911 for the fun factor.

Old 02-05-2018, 12:21 PM

2,376 posts, read 2,934,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
2. It appears you have not driven a modern Vette on twisty and then driven a Mustang on the same. They are not in the same league. Mustang cannot even compare to a Miata in this regard. Yes they are better than they were, no, they are not sports cars. They are still pony cars and do not pretend to be sports cars. You had best make certain you know what you are talking about before you call people dumb. If your statement is dumber than the guy you called dumb, where does that leave you?
The newer Mustang's with independent rear suspension (IRS) handle significantly better in the curves than the solid axle Mustangs. The newer IRS Mustangs are much better than Miata's now....which is a glorified go-kart.

I haven't seen anyone claim the Mustang will corner as good as a Vette. It won't. But it certainly corners good enough these days to be a decent sports car.

The Vette has the advantage when you are hitting the gas or making a turn, but the Mustang is better when cruising on the road. Plus, a big deal here is you can get a much newer/lower mileage Mustang for the same price as what you'd get in a Corvette. Is the Corvette performance advantage that much better to warrant that? This is what the OP will have to decide. I know what my answer is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive