Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 12:21 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,778,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
I disagree I rather just have a fast car and the autos are faster now than the manuel's.
Yes, but an auto in a performance car is still just wrong. Performance cars are for drivers, drivers want to drive, not let a computer drive. What is the point in a self driving performance car?

Driving a manual transmission also improves your spelling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2018, 12:31 PM

957 posts, read 2,020,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28079 View Post
Go for best value for an older 911 that you can get for around $30 - make sure the IMS bearing has been updated or plan about $3k to do it (with lube to it).

Cannot top the 911 for fun handling sports car.

I have driven and owned BMW/Audi/MB & driven Mustang/Vette, still there is no comparison to the 911 for the fun factor.
Forgetting the OP's requirement for a naturally aspirated V8, I can't imagine what $30,000 911 fits the less than 50,000 miles and "something reliable that I could take on vacation or weekend road trips, so I'm not looking at older Classic cars." requirements.

Although for some people, you would be right about the handling and fun aspects, but that doesn't seem to fit the OP who is looking for American V8....

Old 02-05-2018, 12:32 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,876,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Yes, but an auto in a performance car is still just wrong. Performance cars are for drivers, drivers want to drive, not let a computer drive. What is the point in a self driving performance car?

Driving a manual transmission also improves your spelling.
I just want to go fast and have great handling, why would a want a stick for that.

Old 02-05-2018, 12:48 PM

2,983 posts, read 3,089,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
1. No. 4.8 seconds vs 5.3 really makes no difference. Even 4.8 vs. 6.2 is not going to make a difference in these situations. Not to mention no street driver is ever going to make the spec times. Besides only an idiot (or a foolish kid) comes out of any of those situations at tire squealing maximum acceleration in a performance car. Only ridiculously slow hypermilage type cars or super cheapo cars fail to perform sufficiently in these situations today. Any car in the 280-350 HP range will do fine and most decent cars are there now. This is 2018 btw.
*sigh* keep telling yourself that.

Quote:
2. It appears you have not driven a modern Vette on twisty and then driven a Mustang on the same.
Back to back on the same autocross course as an instructor. Yes. And I chose the Corvette in this thread, but lived with Mustang GTs on twisty roads to know better than say what you have.

Quote:
They are not in the same league. Mustang cannot even compare to a Miata in this regard. Yes they are better than they were, no, they are not sports cars. They are still pony cars and do not pretend to be sports cars. You had best make certain you know what you are talking about before you call people dumb. If your statement is dumber than the guy you called dumb, where does that leave you?
You said flat out that they were no good in the twisties and that's factually wrong. Knock off the BS, dude. The IRS equipped '15-up Mustangs handle outstanding and the performance versions (say a PP GT or a GT350) outhandle M3s and can keep up with those older C6 Corvettes (not the Z06 or C7s, those are beasts). Like you said, it's 2018, BTW, so comparing modern Mustangs to the old ones and thinking they are the same is illogical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSEWpF6FR8Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHalSAlxE1o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEfRr7GTHmY

Old 02-05-2018, 03:44 PM

13,646 posts, read 9,704,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamweasel View Post
...The Mustang is still incredibly fast but when you're cruising on the highway it won't beat you up as much. I also find the controls and dash layout to be a little more user-friendly. My brother has a 2009 Z06 and he loves the car but compared to his daily driver he misses creature comforts like having a USB port, etc.
This is why it’s imperative to do a thorough test-drive of all candidate cars. One might find that’s one’s personal impressions are totally different than those of the consensus-opinion, or the opinion of some well-regarded commentator; and ultimately, only one's own personal impressions matter.

Quote:
I disagree I rather just have a fast car and the autos are faster now than the manuel's.
You mean perhaps that Otto is faster than Manuel?

More seriously, yes, there's something to be said for modern closed-loop feedback control systems and servo-mechanisms. The machine is faster than the human. But that still leaves the question of personal sensation and pleasure. These do of course correlate with speed/acceleration/response, but sometime, the subjective feel of being in the process, is more viscerally important than the outcome of the process.

Old 02-05-2018, 04:30 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,778,724 times
Even with some autos being faster, I defy anyone to demonstrate a noticeable difference. Fractions of a second are not going to be replicated in real life driving and not worth losing to joy of actually driving the car. Someday soon the self driving cars will be way faster than anything we have today. that will not make them great options for driving aficionados.

Oops touched off a fanboy nerve. Sorry. Better fix that. Yes, the mustangs are the greatest sports cars ever made. They are made specifically for twisty roads no matter what the manufacturer says. They are not designed primarily to be straight line pony cars, nope. In fact, they are the best car ever made by anyone. Only gods drive Mustangs and no god would ever drive anything else.

Old 02-05-2018, 06:52 PM

10,345 posts, read 8,561,064 times
Quote:
I completely agree. The next fast car I get will be an auto. It's to hard eating a super burrito and shifting at the same time!
I've had plenty of fast sports cars, I'm tired of shifting. Getting caught in traffic makes you hate the car.

Old 02-05-2018, 07:18 PM

5,671 posts, read 5,873,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
how do you peel out with an auto? There is NOTHING like revving up the tach and popping that clutch baby. Nothing.
Yeah, you really don't know how to do that, and you really dump a clutch at high rpms??

Old 02-05-2018, 08:11 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,551,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
Yeah, you really don't know how to do that, and you really dump a clutch at high rpms??
If you don't want to bog the launch, sure.

Old 02-05-2018, 11:20 PM

9,501 posts, read 4,336,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
how do you peel out with an auto?
Seriously? Anything that can remotely be described as a performance car (AWD excluded) will effortlessly smoke the tires off the line. No clutch dump or power braking required. Makes no difference if its an automatic or manual. Turning off the nannies and stomping the loud pedal is all it takes. In fact, the real trick is to launch quickly without sending the tires up in a cloud of smoke. Even with fairly large (285/35-19) super sticky summer-only tires, my current car requires extreme care in order to prevent the tires from going up in smoke on the 1-2 shift - with an automatic. And this is a bone-stock car that isn't particularly fast by today's standards.

However, empirical data showing that automatics are faster than manuals in both a straight line and around a road course notwithstanding, you simply can't beat a manual transmission for driving engagement and pure fun on a twisty road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive