Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 06:55 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,089,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
I’ve never hear of a negative stigma associated with either.
For Corvettes you have the "balding old man wearing gold chains" stigma, and the Mustang has the "gonna crash into a crowd leaving Cars & Coffee" stigma.

As was said, they are very different kinds of cars. Both fun, but one's a true sports car and one's a musclecar. Different missions and different markets. Mustangs are not as nimble as Corvettes, especially the Z06, though. But the Mustang will be more comfortable on the road. So choose based on what you're going to most likely be doing with it. If track days and competition is your primary focus, then definitely aim for the Z06. If weekend cruises on back roads are your aim, then either the basic Corvette or Mustang will work. For more regular driving, Mustang all the way.

My own choice at this point would be Corvette Gran Sport. I've had fun Mustangs, but no late model Corvettes, and the GS is a great option package. I'd want it just like this one, hash marks on the fenders and all:

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/_8XYWjkoIq...0/IMG_0020.JPG
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2018, 08:22 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,142,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
The only real downside to the Vette is the negative stigma associated with them. Of course, the Mustang has a negative stigma associated with it as well.
See, that's the thing, that stigma around both. Valid or not; times do change!

I was a kid in a "bubble," that being northern suburbs (Oakland County) of Motor City, Deeeeetroit. Most neighbors were auto executive dads, my dad was a computer executive (mainframes, at that time). We all drove American, period, though there wasn't much foreign to talk about until the 1980s. I've seen my share of Mustangs and 'Vettes, driven them all short distances, but not owned one. Girlfriend's car does not count; more of a ride-share! I owned a Mercury Capri, which was Mercury's version of the Fox Body Mustang back then, but it didn't really count as a real car. Too much plastic and crudeness. Still, served me OK for years.

If you talked about quality, refinment, etc. as compared to, say, the BMWs of the time or emerging JPN cars, you were pretty much shouted down or worse, met with stony silence. That's just how it was back where we lived back then: don't ___t where you eat.

Fast-forward: In terms of "level of refinement" vs. brute force, may wish to examine the BMW M3 as well. Those, I have driven, based on my social circle from the original '88 to a few years ago test drive (the new turbo version).

To ensure was in ballpark, I looked some up. They are more than your pricepoint, though not hugely so. The 2006 in silver w/V8 and 6MT w/60K miles for $22K was an excellent case in point. I don't know 0-60 times for those, though BMW site indicates 4's. Makes sense, it's a lively V8!

They are reliable enough, though I woudn't take BMW quality to the bank vs. say Porsche. 911s are waaaay out of your price range, though. Too bad.

I'd take a M3 from here (Seattle) to Charleston SC tomorrow, via southern route (CA and I-40 or even I-10) and have a great time. They are refined, lope along fine on the freeway, and have typical coupe-like space.

There is a light year of difference between 'Vettes, Mustangs, and M3s. Vettes strike me as Hot Wheels with evil performance in the dry, something to be said for that. Mustangs seem nice on paper, but do not remotely compare in refinement to BMW (or didn't: times do change, however). I find the big/bulky to be rather awkward, nice as they look sitting still. Shovel a supercharged engine in either, though, and watch out, baby!

Something to think about, if that floats your boat. Oh, the BMW would be a few years older, too. I'd be adamant to buy one with all records, which shouldn't be too hard. I'd have never bought an older 911 Turbo some years ago without; they revealed much that was good and nothing bad in that case, but was critical to note certain maintenance had been done.

Always assumes you're the kind of person who would "like" to drive an M3; I've lived in CA and WA my entire adult life and they go over fine. Depends on your social circle, too, of course: some find BMW crass/uppity, as well.

Old 02-05-2018, 08:35 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,089,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
See, that's the thing, that stigma around both. Valid or not; times do change!

Fast-forward: In terms of "level of refinement" vs. brute force, may wish to examine the BMW M3 as well. Those, I have driven, based on my social circle from the original '88 to a few years ago test drive (the new turbo version).
If you stopped your Mustang driving experience with the Fox body and it's immediate successors (the SN195 versions) then yeah, you might have a different impresion than if you have spent time with modern ones (from my '06 GT to the IRS equipped 5 liter '15-up versions).

Quote:
There is a light year of difference between 'Vettes, Mustangs, and M3s. Vettes strike me as Hot Wheels with evil performance in the dry, something to be said for that. Mustangs seem nice on paper, but do not remotely compare in refinement to BMW (or didn't: times do change, however). I find the big/bulky to be rather awkward, nice as they look sitting still. Shovel a supercharged engine in either, though, and watch out, baby!
The current Mustang, which is what he's looking at, is as fast and less bulky than the current and previous M3/M4 for a lot less money. It's as nice as the E46 M3 that you were talking about. It really is about the same kind of car as the M3/4.

Quote:
Depends on your social circle, too, of course: some find BMW crass/uppity, as well.

Yeah, as a BMW owner, I know all about their stigmas as well, though my older 7 series isn't as bad about that as the 3 series I have...

Old 02-05-2018, 08:48 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,940,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
For Corvettes you have the "balding old man wearing gold chains" stigma, and the Mustang has the "gonna crash into a crowd leaving Cars & Coffee" stigma.

As was said, they are very different kinds of cars. Both fun, but one's a true sports car and one's a musclecar. Different missions and different markets. Mustangs are not as nimble as Corvettes, especially the Z06, though. But the Mustang will be more comfortable on the road. So choose based on what you're going to most likely be doing with it. If track days and competition is your primary focus, then definitely aim for the Z06. If weekend cruises on back roads are your aim, then either the basic Corvette or Mustang will work. For more regular driving, Mustang all the way.

My own choice at this point would be Corvette Gran Sport. I've had fun Mustangs, but no late model Corvettes, and the GS is a great option package. I'd want it just like this one, hash marks on the fenders and all:

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/_8XYWjkoIq...0/IMG_0020.JPG
Provided you’re not actually a bald guy wearing gold chains, it shouldn’t be a problem.

I see it as more of the “blue collar guy who made it” sports car which isn’t a bad thing at all.

Mustangs are so common it’s hard to stereotype their owners as anything. It’s the one car that seems to appeal to everybody.

Old 02-05-2018, 08:50 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,478,579 times
Quote:

You must not be paying attention to social media then...

All jokes aside, as much as I'm a Mustang guy, you can't over look a vette. It's built to be a pure performance car from the start. The Mustang, as quick as it has gotten, still isn't to be compared to the 2 seater vette.

SO really if you have no use for the backseat, get yourself a vette.

If it was me making the decision, I'd take the Mustang, but I am biased.

Old 02-05-2018, 09:51 AM

13,644 posts, read 9,701,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
... In terms of "level of refinement" vs. brute force, may wish to examine the BMW M3 as well. ...

There is a light year of difference between 'Vettes, Mustangs, and M3s. Vettes strike me as Hot Wheels with evil performance in the dry, something to be said for that. Mustangs seem nice on paper, but do not remotely compare in refinement to BMW (or didn't: times do change, however). I find the big/bulky to be rather awkward, nice as they look sitting still. Shovel a supercharged engine in either, though, and watch out, baby!...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
The current Mustang, which is what he's looking at, is as fast and less bulky than the current and previous M3/M4 for a lot less money. It's as nice as the E46 M3 that you were talking about. It really is about the same kind of car as the M3/4....
The BMW M3 E36 was the quintessential sports-sedan/coupe of its time, though it would be underpowered by modern standards. Over the years, the M3 has become heavier and more refined; so has the Mustang. I agree with Tiffer, in that the latest Mustang GT and BMW M3 are essentially competitors, the difference being styling/prestige/cost, rather than performance.

Having driven other people's Corvettes and Mustangs, but never owning one, I find all of them to be cushy and comfortable. The C5 Corvette has a serious problem with its seats, but other than that, the comfort and convenience is by my reckoning quite OK. The major difference between the two, in my experience, is that the Corvette is ready to respond even in sedate, law-abiding street-driving. There is a satisfying feeling of having power and response on-tap, whether one uses it or not. The Mustang, on the contrary, doesn't "wake up" unless it's pushed. The Mustang, like the latest-model M3, lacks effortlessness.

To give this a totally different slant... the Corvette is almost more "Miata-like", whereas the the Mustang and M3 feel more like an AMG S-class Mercedes.

Old 02-05-2018, 09:51 AM

2,376 posts, read 2,929,142 times
Have spent plenty of time behind the wheel of both cars and my choice would be Mustang.

The Vette, from a pure performance standpoint, is certainly a little superior to the Mustang. A little faster, better cornering, etc. Problem is, it also rides rougher and the cockpit is less comfortable to me.

The Mustang is still incredibly fast but when you're cruising on the highway it won't beat you up as much. I also find the controls and dash layout to be a little more user-friendly. My brother has a 2009 Z06 and he loves the car but compared to his daily driver he misses creature comforts like having a USB port, etc.

The dealbreaker for me, with a $30K budget, is you can get a much newer/lower miles Mustang than what $30K gets you in a Corvette. I just don't like the base Vette enough to warrant the price difference it commands.

Old 02-05-2018, 09:54 AM

1,795 posts, read 1,875,784 times
Quote:
I heard a bad stereotypes with those cars but I cannot say them because CD would ban me.

Old 02-05-2018, 10:04 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,772,406 times
Suggest you not worry about 0-60 time. It is not relevant and will not really impact you ever. Are you really going to wind it out to 7000 RPM and drop the clutch ever? A decent Vette or a decent Mustang GT or better will do well at any lights etc. However looking at where cars are going , in five years you will be beaten regularly by Hyundai Sonatas and ford Fusions. Everything is getting faster. Pick up trucks are pushing the sub 5 second goal, Raptor may be there already. Quarter mile is more meaningful, but none of it matters much. They all have more capability than you will ever use unless you are a foolish kid, or you are going to track it. Buying for speed is almost pointless unless you are going to replace it every few years.

Is your vette going to stand up to the new 800 HP versions? (Hint: no). I am not sure whether the vette with the individual electric boost drive on the front wheels is out yet or not, but that will smoke all the older vettes and every mustang there is. How long will i be before the childish WRX coes out with 400 or 500 HP and smokes older vettes and Stangs at a fraction of the price?

It is hard to compare a vette to a mustang. They are different concepts. Stangs are pony cars. They go fast from light to light. they are not much use on a twisty. Vettes are actual sports cars and at the high end, supercars. It is not really a valid comparison. At the high end compare to a Ford GT. (In which case I would get the GT if you can afford that level. Which one is faster depends, but the GT is unique and has a much better coolness factor.)

Other factors may sway your decision. Insurance on a vette is way higher than on a Mustang. The insurance companies put cars in back seats in a different class from cars with no back seats. that is why so many cheaper performance cars are made with really stupid tiny back seats that serve no purpose at all. Vette will cost more for maintenance. Unless things have changed, the only tires that fit cost well over $300 each. Stangs take several different tires.

Vetts still struggles with an image problem a bit too. if you are over 45 with a vette people will expect to see a much younger bowling alley chick with big hair getting out with you. They scream mid life crises like no other car. They do not deserve this reputation and they are truly awesome cars, but they do carry the reputation. At least the reputation is now shared with some BMWs and Audis. They are no longer alone int his regard.

Last edited by Coldjensens; 02-05-2018 at 10:13 AM..

Old 02-05-2018, 10:06 AM

5,671 posts, read 5,871,621 times
I guess Im one of those "steroetypes" people keep mentioning since I own a Mustang. Not all owners of either cars are the type of drivers people are hinting at here. I have found in my area people who dont own either one, wish they did!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive