Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2018, 11:08 AM

1,177 posts, read 2,240,285 times

Advertisements

I'm planning to buy a used "fun car" this year. This is will not be a daily driver. My "musts" are: manual transmission, V8 Engine, rear wheel drive, no turbos or superchargers. I dislike the styling of the newer Camaro, so I've easily ruled that out. Ideally, I'd like to spend less than $30K and want something with fewer than 50K miles and a 0 - 60 time of ~5 seconds or less. I'm also looking for something reliable that I could take on vacation or weekend road trips, so I'm not looking at older "Classic" cars.

As of now, the cars that appeal most to me that fit this criteria are the 2007-2010 C6 Corvette vs. 2015 - 2017 Mustang GT. As for the Corvettes, this would most likely be a base model but I have seen a few Z06's around this price and mileage in my area. I have a soft spot for Mustangs as I've owned them in the past.

I'd like to hear others thoughts and opinions on this topic. What would you choose and why? What other car would you recommend instead?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2018, 12:15 PM

635 posts, read 1,165,739 times
Driven both. The C6 is a driver’s car and the Mustang is a bloated joke.

Old 02-04-2018, 12:26 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,235,515 times
Mustang GT would be a sweet little ride, but imho, nothing beats the Vettes, dollar for dollar, for a fun sports car. I've never owned one but have been a big fan of the Corvette since they were first introduced in the 50s. My son leases a Vette and an F150 and tries to drive each about equal miles to keep them both under the mileage limit. (Yes, he and his wife both make a PILE of money... and spend most of it.) He just gets the base models, but I can't imagine more performance being all that great, as the base model has performance in spades. The Vette is a real kick, especially the latest one. Very high tech. But the older ones are fun too, with ample power and true sports car handling.

Funny little aside: Like I mentioned, I've always been a fan of them but never owned one, so when I divorced my first wife she gave me a sob story about how she was afraid she couldn't get by on her income alone after we split and talked me into giving her an extra $50K in the settlement. So she takes it and buys a new Vette! I'd say that was a pretty good "gotcha" on her part! B****!

Old 02-04-2018, 12:29 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Never been a fan of Corvettes, but I always think they are the best bang for the buck when it comes to having a fun and powerful car. Even though I am not a fan, I would not complain if I had one.

I love Mustang's, but only the classics, never could get into them past the 1970 model year, maybe 71-73 but that is it. There are a few modern ones, like I saw this Shelby/GT 500? thing, sounded real damn nice, looked nice, so I would take that, but not the generic one.

Old 02-04-2018, 12:52 PM

9,507 posts, read 4,342,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Never been a fan of Corvettes, but I always think they are the best bang for the buck when it comes to having a fun and powerful car. Even though I am not a fan, I would not complain if I had one.

I love Mustang's, but only the classics, never could get into them past the 1970 model year, maybe 71-73 but that is it. There are a few modern ones, like I saw this Shelby/GT 500? thing, sounded real damn nice, looked nice, so I would take that, but not the generic one.
You can't beat a Corvette when it comes to bang-for-the-buck. I bought a new Z06 back in 2004. Ridiculous performance for the money, but a truly horrific interior. I only kept it for a couple of years because the interior was downright embarrassing. The C6 interior improved dramatically, but still isn't great. The only real downside to the Vette is the negative stigma associated with them. Of course, the Mustang has a negative stigma associated with it as well.

Old 02-04-2018, 04:16 PM

231 posts, read 587,492 times
I bought a 2008 c6 about 9 months ago as a weekend/fun car. Absolutely love this car!!!! Drop the hammer and it throws you back in the seat. Love the styling and Targa roof. I'll never sell it.

Old 02-04-2018, 10:37 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,925,997 times
Mustangs are common as dirt. Corvettes are a breed of their own. Assuming that GM still hasn't learned about the composite parts that make up the body, most Vettes come with electrical gremlins. I took one for a test drive and most of the gauges didn't work. The dealer said that's common on a Vette. It was enough to turn me off of a Vette. If you just want a kick in the butt, might see if you can find an old 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 with the LS1 engine. That was a car that would kick Vette hiney and not break the bank to buy. It had a 6 speed manual as an option. My nephew has one. It's a freaking beast. The Mustang GTs don't stand a chance against one either. For YM 2002, the Trans Am was the world wide choice for the most bang for the buck. That put it against the likes of AMG, Porsche, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NU9Xw0eIBds

Old 02-05-2018, 12:23 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,948,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Mustangs are common as dirt. Corvettes are a breed of their own. Assuming that GM still hasn't learned about the composite parts that make up the body, most Vettes come with electrical gremlins. I took one for a test drive and most of the gauges didn't work. The dealer said that's common on a Vette. It was enough to turn me off of a Vette. If you just want a kick in the butt, might see if you can find an old 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 with the LS1 engine. That was a car that would kick Vette hiney and not break the bank to buy. It had a 6 speed manual as an option. My nephew has one. It's a freaking beast. The Mustang GTs don't stand a chance against one either. For YM 2002, the Trans Am was the world wide choice for the most bang for the buck. That put it against the likes of AMG, Porsche, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NU9Xw0eIBds
The electrical gremlins are from a low battery which is common on Vettes because they’re usually garage queens. On mine the gremlins started after sitting a week. Drive it everyday or keep it charged and gremlins went away. That was the consensus on the forums as well.
They even started selling a built in trickle charger from the factory for this reason.

The Vette’s depreciation is minuscule compared to the Mustang. It was one of the few cars I built serious equity on.

Old 02-05-2018, 12:27 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,948,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
You can't beat a Corvette when it comes to bang-for-the-buck. I bought a new Z06 back in 2004. Ridiculous performance for the money, but a truly horrific interior. I only kept it for a couple of years because the interior was downright embarrassing. The C6 interior improved dramatically, but still isn't great. The only real downside to the Vette is the negative stigma associated with them. Of course, the Mustang has a negative stigma associated with it as well.
I’ve never hear of a negative stigma associated with either.

Old 02-05-2018, 05:47 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
We are basically a Ford family and have 4 Mustangs and a few Ford powered hot rods, but my one son has a Z06 Vette. I borrowed it one time to go to the parts store while mine was up on blocks, and I have to admit, that car was a blast to drive.

Maybe it is the fact it sits so low, but it accelerates like a rocket ship. Our other cars are quick, but this one just felt great, and each gear change planted you in the seat.

I don't think you would go wrong with either of your choices, but they are two distinctly different animals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive