Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 03:24 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,057,399 times

Advertisements

I'm a dyed in the wool car keeper.

My newest vehicle is 22 yr's old now. The other vehicle is 25 yr's old. Both run fine and still look "clean".

However, in my later years here I've wondered if I should invest in a little bit newer vehicles.

How long is to long to keep a vehicle????

Boy, oh boy, I'm confused now................: confused:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2018, 04:24 PM

3,319 posts, read 2,341,504 times
If it runs good, looks good and you're happy with it, why change?

Old 04-20-2018, 04:59 PM

17,311 posts, read 12,260,346 times
About 3 years.

Old 04-20-2018, 05:01 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,998,238 times
Just sold my previous car at age 22 years. I got a newer one that is 18 year old (lower miles on odometer).

Wow. The technology is changing fast. This "new" one has a 6-disc CD changer !

Old 04-20-2018, 05:21 PM

19,039 posts, read 27,614,590 times
The NEW ones do not even have CD players anymore. CD are so passe.

OP, you were OK with your vehicles for over 20 years. Hence, you have good, reliable cars. NONE of the new ones will match. So, unless they are money pits AND total gas guzzlers, hurting your wallet, keep driving, changing oil, and keeping 'm clean. 90s were the golden years for cars, don't fall for gimmicks they sell you now instead of solid cars.

Old 04-20-2018, 05:23 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,099,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired in Illinois View Post

My newest vehicle is 22 yr's old now. The other vehicle is 25 yr's old. Both run fine and still look "clean".

However, in my later years here I've wondered if I should invest in a little bit newer vehicles.

I'm surprised you can keep a car in good shape that long there in the Midwest. Salted winter roads and all.

I'm out in the high desert of the Intermountain West, and have cars from 26 to 50 years old on the road. I don't care for all the technical "nannies" and other crap in newer cars, so I just keep the old ones.

You do need to pick a "good" car model, and a good specimen, and you need to take good care of it, and it will last about forever.

But, if you have the money and you *want* a newer car, go buy one then. But keep your older cars, you won't be able to get enough money out of them to make selling or trading them worthwhile.

Old 04-20-2018, 05:30 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,854,052 times
Quote:

thats up to you in the end. as noted if they re running, looking good and are in good overall condition, then why change? my mother has had her sable for 21 years now, and it is still going strong. when she bought her current car, its because her previous sable, ten years old at the time, was starting to give her a bit of trouble and she didnt trust it anymore, so she decided it was time to trade it in.

i would say that is as good a time as any to replace a vehicle in your fleet.

Old 04-20-2018, 05:31 PM

61,742 posts, read 87,194,708 times
Quote:
How long is to long to keep a car........
??
Until it looks like a piece of junk (peeling off pain - although I invested in new paint previously, has dents, missing parts) or is too expensive to repair.

Old 04-20-2018, 05:50 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,425,421 times
I'm swapping vehicles right now, had a '97 and a '01 both owned since 2004. The '97 needed nothing, looked great and I "lost" $4k between purchase and sale over 14 years. Sold because it was sitting unused as life changes occurred. That one's easy (well, it still stings that it's gone, I loved that truck).

The '01 car is also easy, it's 100% reliable and still returning 50mpg, but it's falling apart. Headliner falling in, foam blowing out the vents, just had a parking cable snap, electronics are failing with some regularity now, squeaks and rattles galore, age has caught up to the vehicle and it's going to start needing constant care that I'm not in the mood to provide.

Paying cash for 2 brand new vehicles as the used market sucks (10% less than brand new for 3 years old, out of warranty), we will keep them for the next ~15 years.

But it's a personal choice. Want something newer, buy something newer.

I do think it's funny that the '01 car had no CD player and the '18 replacement also has no CD player... completely skipped that 'feature'.

Old 04-20-2018, 07:15 PM

468 posts, read 356,761 times
Quote:

You could very well become very disappointed in some of the the cheap plastic found in many new or newer vehicles compared to your old rides...if you do decide to look at new or newer be sure to take each one on a long drive as many are not as comfortable as they use to be.....my current vehicle is a 2006 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate edition that is extremely low mileage at just under 50k and totally free of any rust...the quality of the build and the comfort and space I wouldn't trade for anything.

I would normally say keep them until the wheels fall off but instead will say keep them until they start to become a money pit and or become a rust bucket...especially on the undercarriage where the rust could affect the stability or safety of driving it.

Last edited by NY 915; 04-20-2018 at 08:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive