Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2020, 09:38 PM

15,421 posts, read 9,092,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubleshooter View Post
It is WRONG to use a double left turn lane as a merge for the left turn from a side road.

I was stopped waiting to turn left into a driveway when someone came from my right and tried to enter the double left lane where I already was. He swerved to his right and almost hit the oncoming car I was waiting for before I turned. He would have been in even more trouble if I had started the turn.

It is high time this merging use of the double left lane be prohibited and ticketed.
According to the Federal Highway Administration it is perfectly acceptable to use it as a merge lane. I agree with you that doing so is problematic, but it is legal.

b_2way
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2020, 09:20 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,252,541 times
Perfectly acceptable vs. completely legal per state and local laws is totally different.

The use of a center lane as a merge lane can change between states and might even change between local government entities.

One state I lived in allowed you to turn from a road into a left turn lane of the other road and travel NO further than 200 fee; that was either TN or NY and was many years ago so it could have changed.

Boise Idaho states:
"Upon a roadway where traffic is permitted to move in both directions, whenever the center lane of said roadway is bounded by solid lines, vehicles shall travel upon said center lane only for the purposes of turning to the left or entering a designated traffic lane after completion of a left turn. Vehicles shall not use said center lane as a passing lane nor shall any vehicle travel upon said center lane for a distance of more than one hundred feet (100') prior to turning to the left or following completion of a left turn.

I do it all the time, turn into a left turn lane and basically stop till traffic clears in the lane I want to merge into. I have done this quite a few times with a local cop or sheriff coming down the road and never been pulled over.

One thing I am learning from being on this site and reading comments in this part of the forum is I am getting more nervous about driving, because of all the comments and threads about how other people are nervous, afraid, etc., of driving on roads for no apparent reason.

Old 06-29-2020, 10:19 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,718,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Unprotected left turns are potentially perilous for the masses of unskilled and unable to discern momentum, distance as well as too timid to accelerate drivers (ladies who lunch piloting 400+hp Porsche Macan Turbos as if they were Prius V’s). It is evident in 1000s of dash-cam videos and in most of our day-to-day driving.

But for the rest of us we can easily figure it out, signal and calmly get in the proper lane and proceed when we know we have the space for our car’s performance characteristics to safely complete a simple maneuver.
Left turns are extremely dangerous with roads that are above 40mph. One of our roads here, frequently have accidents with many deaths due to the speed and people who turn left and right on the roads. Now you're gonna have people advocate for speed limit. Speed limit never works when you have a long straight road and over building of stores along the stretch.

Even at speeds of 30mph, a car suddenly slowly down in front of you to turn into the drivethru could've been struck by someone driving a big car. People who make turns need to think and learn how to properly make a turn off the road without impacting others behind.

I hate people who thinks that everyone behind them must slow down from 50mph to 5mph just so they can turn into a Mcdonald drive thru.

Old 06-29-2020, 05:28 PM

14,254 posts, read 14,754,235 times
I have heard them referred to as suicide lanes. I like them for turning left but it does cause me concern when one pulls into them before merging right as I am concerned they will just pull through it.

Old 06-30-2020, 04:31 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,826,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Left turns are extremely dangerous with roads that are above 40mph. One of our roads here, frequently have accidents with many deaths due to the speed and people who turn left and right on the roads. Now you're gonna have people advocate for speed limit. Speed limit never works when you have a long straight road and over building of stores along the stretch.

Even at speeds of 30mph, a car suddenly slowly down in front of you to turn into the drivethru could've been struck by someone driving a big car. People who make turns need to think and learn how to properly make a turn off the road without impacting others behind.

I hate people who thinks that everyone behind them must slow down from 50mph to 5mph just so they can turn into a Mcdonald drive thru.
Turn signals exist to tell drivers behind you that you are going to turn.

There’s a McDonalds in this area that requires a 170 degree turn to enter it from the street. It it, unfortunately, necessary to slow down for that turn. You’re just going to have to be patient. Most turns can’t be safely made at 30 mph or greater, you know.

Old 06-30-2020, 07:21 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,427,027 times
We in Michigan have our Michigan left turn not a problem and speeds up traffic flow.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michigan_left
Attached Thumbnails
Left turn lanes in streets-5ec516e1-a1aa-48c4-8388-5dce41ffdb23.jpeg  

Old 06-30-2020, 09:25 AM

1,780 posts, read 4,028,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Are these specifically designated as "left turn ONLY" lanes, or are they the center 'chicken lanes' found all over the country? Because the latter are for both safe left turns out of traffic, and for merging into left-bound traffic without having to wait for both directions to clear. Unless the drivers are sitting on top of lane labels to the contrary, they're using them exactly the way they're supposed to be used.

For some reason, almost no center-turn lanes exist in Dallas, all the roads are divided by medians. We do have a few in Austin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive