Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 12:25 PM

3,528 posts, read 6,535,153 times

Advertisements

I don't like these. When I'm in one, and trying to turn left, I fear somebody is going to bump into me from behind, or even in front. I feel like I'm in the middle of chaos and a lot of people don't understand what's going on.

Do you like left turn lanes in general?

Are they used equally every place in America? I used to live in Pasadena, there weren't any.

Are they relatively new?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2018, 12:27 PM

3,528 posts, read 6,535,153 times
I'm sorry, I just now saw that sticky saying not to talk about this subject. I didn't know it's talked about so much.

Old 10-01-2018, 12:34 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,593,446 times
The sticky is about left lane hogs, not left turn lanes. I don't see what the issue about left turn lanes is. Not all my destinations are right turns only. I'd rather have a left turn lane vs stopping in a travel lane while trying to make a left turn.

Old 10-01-2018, 12:43 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,138,005 times
Yeah, I don't get what being in a left turn lane has to do with being afraid of being rear-ended. If anything sometimes I'm watching to make sure people from the cross street on my right -- who are turning left around me -- don't cut their turn to tight and darn near clip my left driver's side panel.

I'd much prefer a dedicated left turn lane.....than a left-hand lane that can go straight OR turn.
I am soooo sick of pulling behind someone at a light, expecting them to go straight -- because they've haven't turned on their left-hand signal.....only to have the light change and THEN they scoot up and turn on their left-turn signal. That's NOT when they should be signaling that they're not going straight.

These people don't wait to signal after they're in the lane...or even...after someone pulls behind them and they're waiting at the light. These people don't signal until the light has changed and many times it's too late for the person behind them to get out of the left lane and go around to continue straight.

Old 10-01-2018, 12:52 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,768,876 times
Come to Denver sometime. Left turn lanes - and the term seems so... so pedestrian - are an evolved and worshipped art form here. None of this "turn left from the leftmost straight lane," no. Left turns are isolated and curve away from the main lanes even at fairly minor intersections. Some larger ones become virtual off-ramps. What would be a middle lane in other states is here a series of shaped medians to guide drivers safely on their way at each street.

This, in a region where the vast majority of left-turns, even on major-major streets, are uncontrolled; there might be five seconds of a green arrow for an exclusive turn, but then it starts flashing yellow and it's on the pre-guided driver to try and cross three lanes of oncoming. Most smaller intersections, even ones that have a separate and lovingly build left-turn system, are uncontrolled from the start.

It's one of the weirder things about living here.

Old 10-01-2018, 02:33 PM

7,519 posts, read 13,634,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Come to Denver sometime. Left turn lanes - and the term seems so... so pedestrian - are an evolved and worshipped art form here. None of this "turn left from the leftmost straight lane," no. Left turns are isolated and curve away from the main lanes even at fairly minor intersections. Some larger ones become virtual off-ramps. What would be a middle lane in other states is here a series of shaped medians to guide drivers safely on their way at each street.

This, in a region where the vast majority of left-turns, even on major-major streets, are uncontrolled; there might be five seconds of a green arrow for an exclusive turn, but then it starts flashing yellow and it's on the pre-guided driver to try and cross three lanes of oncoming. Most smaller intersections, even ones that have a separate and lovingly build left-turn system, are uncontrolled from the start.

It's one of the weirder things about living here.
Have you yet had the pleasure of the 3-lane left turn only in Boulder at Arapahoe and Foothills ?
https://goo.gl/maps/zDuGPKmQQq52

Old 10-01-2018, 02:52 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,138,005 times
One exit ramp "T" intersection where I used to live had five lanes facing the light at the "T" cross street at the top of the exit ramp.
The two left and right lanes were left- or right turn only. The MIDDLE lane could turn left or right. And that works fine as long as all drivers stay in THEIR LANE...NO wide or tight turns.

The problem is drivers don't hold their lane. What is it with the drifting turn lanes? Why can't people stay in their lane?

Old 10-01-2018, 03:24 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,768,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Have you yet had the pleasure of the 3-lane left turn only in Boulder at Arapahoe and Foothills ?
https://goo.gl/maps/zDuGPKmQQq52
No, but there's one almost as confusing up on Orchard at Parker. If you are in any but the hard-right lane on approach, you'd better want to turn left. Then to get from Parker to Arapahoe, there's a monster 3-lane right exit. I unfortunately had to drive both quite a bit, for a while.

Old 10-01-2018, 04:10 PM

2,058 posts, read 1,668,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
I don't like these. When I'm in one, and trying to turn left, I fear somebody is going to bump into me from behind, or even in front. I feel like I'm in the middle of chaos and a lot of people don't understand what's going on.

Do you like left turn lanes in general?

Are they used equally every place in America? I used to live in Pasadena, there weren't any.

Are they relatively new?

Are you talking about a center lane where cars going in either direction pull into while waiting to make a left turn? Those can be scary - especially when two of you pull into it going in opposite directions because your left turns are across from each other. Add in another car that is using it as an acceleration lane to merge with traffic and you really have a fun situation. We call them suicide lanes.

I don't see a problem with a regular dedicated left turn lane, however.

Old 10-01-2018, 04:54 PM

15,436 posts, read 25,826,444 times
We need more left turn lanes! Stopping in a regular lane to turn left is much more scary then stopping in a left turn lane to turn left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive