Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2018, 09:33 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,779,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerun View Post
It is more about styling than comfort. It is a bit ridiculous to say that a pickup is more comfortable anyway. If you care about the way your vehicle performs, trucks and large SUVs are a horrible choice. Poor handling, long braking distances, difficult to drive and park in city, etc.

Driving a truck is always a compromise. You give up comfort, performance and mpg because you want the extra size or just like trucks.
Well apparently thats what people are buying and not sedans that’s why the big3 are doing away with most of their sedans. There are people out there who don’t care about styling also.
It is amazing what total false information put out by some car addicts. Lets use an example to prove that what they say about Pickups, and SUVs, is phony.

If the poster above had driven a modern Pickup or SUV they would realize how wrong they are.

Police departments use vehicles that are roomy, and have excellent handling, and not difficult to drive and park in a city, with excellent performance to be able to go into hot pursuit mode when needed.

If those two posters and many others were right, the biggest 50 police departments in the 50 biggest cities, would not have already gone to over 50% Ford Explorers, and as other cars wear out, the are being replaced with more Explorers. In addition to Explorers, they have been using pickups for police cars in many areas.

My wife and I are both in our late 80s, and our vehicles are an Explorer Limited with 4 wheel drive, and a Ford F-150.

Some of our reasons to do so.

1: They are comfortable with adequate room, so you don't feel all scrunched up like in most of today's cars.

2: Ease of getting in and out of the vehicle. I am no longer flexible like I was when young. Bending down and crawling into a modern car, is very difficult. With our vehicles it is just step up into the vehicle, no hard to enter fact.

3: High enough roof, I can sit up in our vehicles. The modern cars are getting so low to the ground, I cannot even sit in the drivers seat without bending my head so I cannot see forward. I am only 6'2" tall with a long body, proportioned like the average short man, not all legs to reach my height as many taller men are.

4: Safety of driver and passengers. Those small cars so many of you are preaching about are so great, are the most dangerous cars in America, based on the death rate per model. The SUVs and Pickups, are the safest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2018, 02:45 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,962,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Think what you will. I didn't say i like the idea, but it is slowly being indoctrinated into our society.
Why do you think many of these automotive companies are buying up E bike and scooter companies. And why they, GM for instance is trying rediscover itself as a high tech transportation company, instead of a automotive manufacturer ?

https://www.autotrader.com/car-shopp...future--254768

https://amp-fastcompany-com.cdn.ampp...ip-and-driving

https://amp-timeinc-net.cdn.ampproje...rom%20%251%24s
Look at any metros traffic in rush hour, then tell me all that traffic will be replaced by Uber’s and e-bikes in the near future.
There’s billions spent every year to widen lanes and suburbs are building further out. In order to move everybody in the suburbs to their jobs every morning, you would actually create more traffic (the Uber car would have to leave their house to go to another house, take that client to work, then back to the suburbs for the next commuter, then back to work again, and repeat in the afternoon).

The house with the 3 car garage are in the burbs, not downtown San Francisco. Those engineers you were behind were narrow minded morons probably right out school and still living in a bubble.

Old 11-29-2018, 04:04 AM

4,282 posts, read 5,944,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Look at any metros traffic in rush hour, then tell me all that traffic will be replaced by Uber’s and e-bikes in the near future.
There’s billions spent every year to widen lanes and suburbs are building further out. In order to move everybody in the suburbs to their jobs every morning, you would actually create more traffic (the Uber car would have to leave their house to go to another house, take that client to work, then back to the suburbs for the next commuter, then back to work again, and repeat in the afternoon).
^^^^^^^ YES!

My thoughts exactly. As selfish as we have become as a society, with an insistence on near absolute personal privacy (excluding social media narcissistic posting), I do not believe autonomous people movers will ever be accepted if they carry multiple parties of individuals simultaneously. Why do people opt for a Uber or Lyft rather than the Bus? Because people do not want to sit next to people they do not know.

Old 11-29-2018, 05:13 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,434,227 times
This was the news cast from Detroit news station WDIV about GM sedans.

The disappearing American sedan
https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/-40

Old 11-29-2018, 06:54 AM

29,551 posts, read 14,693,013 times
Quote:
Those engineers you were behind were narrow minded morons probably right out school and still living in a bubble.

To your first statement, that is when Autonomous comes into play.
To your second, they were, or at least looked like they were fresh out of school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
^^^^^^^ YES!

My thoughts exactly. As selfish as we have become as a society, with an insistence on near absolute personal privacy (excluding social media narcissistic posting), I do not believe autonomous people movers will ever be accepted if they carry multiple parties of individuals simultaneously. Why do people opt for a Uber or Lyft rather than the Bus? Because people do not want to sit next to people they do not know.

I totally agree with you, I cringe at the thought of being in close proximity to strangers.

Walking in to work this morning I see a huge banner hanging off the parking structure.

SHARE A RIDE
SHARE A SHUTTLE
JOIN THE MOVEMENT.

Granted, they are trying to help out with the parking issues we have here but the push for "sharing" is definitely there.

Look what we have here ...
https://www.wired.com/2016/01/maven-...erless-future/

I'm not saying I'm buying into this fairy tale but the writing is on the wall.
Spain, claims they will be petro and natural gas free by 2040
France, claims they will be petro and natural gas free by 2040 (check the latest news on how that is going)
British Columbia claims they will be ICE free by 2040

Yes , 2040 seems like a long ways away, in reality it is only 6 product cycles away. Not really that far off , especially when the technology for half those cycles isn't here yet.

And at the moment we still have a choice to buy and drive what we want. Politically though, I see the pendulum on it's way to swinging left... once that happens , if we get a dolt like Macron in France and they decide to force people away from ICE vehicles.. then what ?

Even on this forum, the past week , I've seen some threads started about people hating driving, or how to keep people from breaking laws while driving... the thought of ride share/ autonomous is creeping in.

Old 11-29-2018, 07:03 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,434,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
To your first statement, that is when Autonomous comes into play.
To your second, they were, or at least looked like they were fresh out of school.

I totally agree with you, I cringe at the thought of being in close proximity to strangers.

Walking in to work this morning I see a huge banner hanging off the parking structure.

SHARE A RIDE
SHARE A SHUTTLE
JOIN THE MOVEMENT.

Granted, they are trying to help out with the parking issues we have here but the push for "sharing" is definitely there.

Look what we have here ...
https://www.wired.com/2016/01/maven-...erless-future/

I'm not saying I'm buying into this fairy tale but the writing is on the wall.
Spain, claims they will be petro and natural gas free by 2040
France, claims they will be petro and natural gas free by 2040 (check the latest news on how that is going)
British Columbia claims they will be ICE free by 2040

Yes , 2040 seems like a long ways away, in reality it is only 6 product cycles away. Not really that far off , especially when the technology for half those cycles isn't here yet.

And at the moment we still have a choice to buy and drive what we want. Politically though, I see the pendulum on it's way to swinging left... once that happens , if we get a dolt like Macron in France and they decide to force people away from ICE vehicles.. then what ?

Even on this forum, the past week , I've seen some threads started about people hating driving, or how to keep people from breaking laws while driving... the thought of ride share/ autonomous is creeping in.
I know in Michigan everyone drives everywhere we don’t have a public transportation system like other cities don’t forget we are the motor city home of the automobile. Everyone i knows has 2 or more vehicles not including RV’s and boats because Michigan has the second most registered boats than any state in the country and you need a suv or pickup to haul them. So park and ride is not popular here at all.

Old 11-29-2018, 07:18 AM

1,769 posts, read 1,694,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jardine8 View Post
Well, what I read is that GM believes that autonomous, electric cars are the near-future but believes that, instead of buying autonomous electric cars, a large percentage of Americans will be buying rides from a fleet of autonomous cars, sort of like Uber. In this case, though, it seems that GM intends to try to compete with Uber in offering rides to customers rather than focusing just on the manufacturing and selling of the cars.
Quote:
This isn't true at all. People are buying cars, just not sedans. Contrary to popular belief, nobody is commuting in Ubers. That's for bar hopping and airport rides only.

I think you mis-read my post. I stated that GM apparently thinks that it is the near-future, not that it is the present. I recognize that most people are still buying and driving their own vehicles rather than using a service like Uber for day-to-day travel\errands. GM thinks that is going to shift, though, as autonomous, electric vehicles become available.

Old 11-29-2018, 09:53 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,662,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jardine8 View Post
I think you mis-read my post. I stated that GM apparently thinks that it is the near-future, not that it is the present. I recognize that most people are still buying and driving their own vehicles rather than using a service like Uber for day-to-day travel\errands. GM thinks that is going to shift, though, as autonomous, electric vehicles become available.
It won’t be the first time GM is wrong.

Old 11-29-2018, 10:47 AM

1,740 posts, read 1,273,269 times
Uber is not even profitable. It's not sustainable w/o autonomous vehicles. That's why they were willing to steal so much tech from Google, it's worth that much to them.

Will consumers be willing to pay the full costs for all these manually-driven trips plus profit? Doubtful.

GM is betting on autonomous vehicles. Good luck with that timeline.

Old 11-29-2018, 10:48 AM

3,319 posts, read 2,345,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeApelido View Post
GM is betting on autonomous vehicles. Good luck with that timeline.
GM is hardly the only one, most automakers are dumping big money into autonomous vehicle programs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive