Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 07:34 AM

680 posts, read 535,173 times

Advertisements

Currently own a 2017 Honda Civic. Great car, but the seats are uncomfortable, and make back pain worse, especially on long drives. I'm 33 and 6'3" 220lbs, this car makes me feel 63 trying to get out of it. It doesn't have adjustable lumbar support or power seats, stupidly not something I thought about on the test drive. Not interested in a truck or large SUV. A car or small SUV would be ok. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2018, 08:01 AM

10,561 posts, read 7,763,547 times
Hard to say regarding seat design. I think you may have to try out several and see how they feel to you.

Low riders in general aren't so comfortable for us big guys to get out of, so I'd suggest a higher ride like a Subaru Crosstrek or something similar.

Old 12-18-2018, 08:08 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,532,741 times
You're 6/3 and have back problems that Civic is a problem for you. I have a feeling you must care about gas efficiency which I do as well.

I drive a Nissan Rogue SL AWD. Very good car and the seats have many adjustments. Your problem is getting in and out I know because I am an occasional back pain sufferer myself. The key is you are sitting up higher. I still get as high as 35 mpg on the highway with it with AC on. Not as good as a Civic but better than most SUV's.

Check into the "Car Cane" on Amazon. It's a simple device that helps you in and out of the car.

https://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-Mate...ar+canes&psc=1

Old 12-18-2018, 08:14 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Full sized van with custom seats.

Second would be a pick up.

Either one, you are stepping up rather than bending down and curling into a ball to get in. Getting out, you just sort of slide out of the seat. onto the ground. When driving, you are sitting up normally and have room to occasionally stretch out your legs. Lots of options are available for seats. Some of the seats made for RVs are amazing.

Old 12-18-2018, 08:15 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,241,982 times
You say you don't want a large SUV, but I'd recommend a Porsche Cayenne, it's a midsize SUV. The range of adjustment for the seats was fantastic, I miss it. Most magazine editors always said it was one of the best, most comfortable SUVs for long trips. I could drive that thing 10 hours and still get out without feeling worn out.

Doesn't matter what year or trim model, the seats and ergonomics in all of them were fantastic.

Old 12-18-2018, 08:18 AM

294 posts, read 219,782 times
Over the 35 years I have dealt with back pain I have learned how to prevent flareups. I currently have 7 herniated discs and stenosis at 5 levels. Always support your lower back with a small pillow, rolled up towel or buy a dog bone pillow. Chiropractic manipulation keeps me aligned and stops flareups, it has been proven to be the best treatment for lower back pain.

Old 12-18-2018, 08:22 AM

3,661 posts, read 2,948,846 times
The latest Civic is just plain hard to get in and out of. Even for people way under your height, its the way today's cars are. With its aerodynamic windshield and shape you really can't get away from it but LOOK for cars that are old fashioned like a box.

If you don't want to lose money selling your car just deal with the in and out part and get a lumbar support backrest.

I drive a Nissan Cube for this reason.

Old 12-18-2018, 08:24 AM

15,802 posts, read 20,513,219 times
Some upper level trim Fords have massaging seats, which are in addition to being heated/ventilated.

I have the massaging seats in my Taurus and love them. I don't have any chronic back pain, but I use them frequently and it really does feel good over long drives, in addition to the heat feature.

I'm 6'1" 220lbs and like driving a big car due to feeling cramped in smaller vehicles. But not a fan of SUV's and sitting up high

Old 12-18-2018, 08:36 AM

6,559 posts, read 7,139,634 times
LS Lexus or S class MB. Bigger Genesis vehicles. My Cayenne has the best seats and agree, can drive long distances with zero problems.

Old 12-18-2018, 09:44 AM

3,661 posts, read 2,948,846 times
I would trade that Civic in on a current used Versa Note Hatchback.

Why? The Civic has great resale value and the Versa Note does not making it a less money losing trade.
The Versa Note is a reliable car whose value is brought down by Nissan's less than stellar rep among Japanese cars.

I have rented one many times and really like everything about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive