Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2019, 08:23 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,274,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Except anything fast, and I'm talking fast not off the showroom cars won't be having a manual transmission. Most people aren't going to put a Liberty's gears 5 spd or a Lenco in their "street racer", not saying it hasn't been done , I've seen it but it isn't common.
Not when you can fit a 7 Speed Getrag DCT on a Miata floorpan. (Ponder... )

Actually a lot of folks are installing Getrags onto Supras, and RX7s these days.

Old 04-23-2019, 09:02 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,419,493 times
I drive with my left foot on the clutch and right foot on the gas and then drive that’s how you drive a manual, child's play my good man. Easy peasy. Manual transmission out before automatic so certain people had no choice but to drive a manual including woman. Man can’t believe it’s going on 27 pages glad we’re not talking about a horse and buggy, lol lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2019, 09:14 AM

34,230 posts, read 18,575,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
I drive with my left foot on the clutch and right foot on the gas and then drive that’s how you drive a manual, child's play my good man. Easy peasy. Manual transmission out before automatic so certain people had no choice but to drive a manual including woman. Man can’t believe it’s going on 27 pages glad we’re not talking about a horse and buggy, lol lol.
I just don't think a lot of people today want to be bothered. Instant gratification and all that. At some point their phones will drive their car for them, and they'd be just fine with that.

Old 04-23-2019, 09:16 AM

1,415 posts, read 1,094,398 times
How do people wonder so much about why people do.

Old 04-23-2019, 11:48 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,419,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nedergras View Post
How do people wonder so much about why people do.
Because they want to see how many others out there can’t drive a manual, like the original poster imo.

Old 04-23-2019, 12:30 PM

29,478 posts, read 14,643,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Not when you can fit a 7 Speed Getrag DCT on a Miata floorpan. (Ponder... )

Actually a lot of folks are installing Getrags onto Supras, and RX7s these days.

Track cars and drag cars are completely two different beasts. I'm from Detroit so the mention of "street racing" is generally the drag racing type. A fast street racing car , to me , would be mid to low 8's .

Old 04-23-2019, 12:34 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,284,192 times
My brother is a truck driver and even though he drive an automatic he misses a standard. Me? I drove a standard once a long time ago. My uncle decided to take me out and teach me once in his VW Beetle. I did OK out of the gate, until.....I was coming up to my first stop and he told me to downshift. He never mentioned going down a gear at a time so at 40mph starting the downshifting process went from 4th to 1st and the VW stopped on a dime. That was it for me.

Old 04-23-2019, 12:34 PM

3,318 posts, read 1,817,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliefNorth View Post
So there’s 3 pedals? Brake, gas, and clutch? That is extremely confusing and again it’s unsafe
Are you still taking flying lessons to become a commercial pilot?

Old 04-23-2019, 12:47 PM

561 posts, read 324,389 times
Quote:
It looks really hard and unsafe to drive a manual. How do you know which gears to shift while driving and how do you make sure you shift correctly while keeping your eyes on the road and hands on steering wheel? It looks like driving manuals is hard work, do people actually enjoy driving a manual?

You know by experience, listening to the engine, and looking at the tach if you have to but most people I know don't need the tach unless they are just learning. When you learn what you're doing the car "tells" you what gear it needs to be in. If the engine is whining then the gear is too low. If the car is jerking the gear is too high. I don't know anyone past the learning stage that needs to ever look at the shifter to know what gear they are in. The position of the shifter tells you that. As far as the steering wheel, if you believe you need both hands to steer at all times then you should never drive a manual.

I don't know if I'd say I "enjoy" a manual. I don't mind it and I'm glad I know how so I will never be stranded no matter what car is available. My husband had a manual when we met and I refused to have a car in my driveway that I didn't know how to drive. I made sure my kids all knew how to as well when they learned to drive. Since then we've picked up some really good deals because a car with a manual transmission is harder for a dealer to sell. Sometimes it's nice having one because 90 % people don't know how and will never ask to borrow my car.

Old 04-23-2019, 01:00 PM

2,361 posts, read 2,537,231 times
Quote:
I don’t see how you can possibly drive a manual safely on a highway with tons of traffic (rush hour)
Uh, I did a commute on Houston freeways you probably are familiar with or at least heard of (Katy, Southwest, 45 North, Gulf, all into downtown or Galleria area) for over 20 years, almost always in a car or truck with a stick. The tough one was an 86 F-150 with a really stiff clutch spring, but it was never a problem in Houston traffic 'cause it's so flat. Austin was a whole nother thing, but neither I, the truck, nor my fellow drivers were ever in danger.

Go find (or make) a friend with a car with a stick shift. Get him/her to show you the basics. Watch some YouTube videos. Spend a weekend afternoon in an empty parking lot. Learn by doing, grasshopper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive