Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2019, 02:59 PM

19,051 posts, read 13,968,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
Wait until you get stopped on a hill with your manual, with someone right behind you on your bumper. That will test your skill with the clutch. Manual is not so much fun in situations like that,
If you know what you’re doing it’s literally nothing.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2019, 03:33 PM

15,421 posts, read 9,083,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
You have that backwards. Oh I'm sure you think steering is easy, and gear changes are complicated, but think about it, not only does your primary steering hand move the wheel to the correct position to track the corner, but its first point of feedback in knowing if you're losing traction, even before your butt tells you. So how easy is steering when you've lost traction? Given a choice which hand would you want in control of the steering after losing traction, you dominant or non-dominant hand?

Gear changes are simple by comparison it's a straight H, back and forward with slight lateral pressure and you'll do just fine.

Skip Barber trains to keep your hands at 10:10 to 8:20, both hands on the wheel, except when one has to do something like a gear change, who do you want to drive with fast, a qualified experienced racing driver or a cop? My opinion is that based on some of the messes I've seen on skid pans by cops, I'm taking the racing driver.

Except what you think is simple and complicated are reversed. How simple is steering with a front right blowout and your left hand on the wheel? How simple is it when a semi pulls into your lane 20 yards away when you're doing 60, how simple is it when its wet and greasy, or on snow and ice? Now how do any of those affect your gear change complexity...?
And yet cops drive with just their left hand all the time, at speeds well over 100 mph while performing all kinds of high speed maneuvers. I'm sorry, but if you can't drive with just your left hand on the wheel, I think you have some serious driving issues.

Old 04-25-2019, 03:37 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,423,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
And yet cops drive with just their left hand all the time, at speeds well over 100 mph while performing all kinds of high speed maneuvers. I'm sorry, but if you can't drive with just your left hand on the wheel, I think you have some serious driving issues.
I agree i never use both hands to drive use my left hand only if i didn’t have power or electric steering i would have to use both hands to turn wheel though. I have my left hand at the 11 o’clock position when I’m driving. Even when driving a manual i drive the same way.

Old 04-25-2019, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
I agree i never use both hands to drive use my left hand only if i didn’t have power or electric steering i would have to use both hands to turn wheel though. I have my left hand at the 11 o’clock position when I’m driving.
I keep my left hand at 8 o'clock all the time unless I'm turning. I always avoid putting my arms in front of the airbag.

Old 04-25-2019, 04:11 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,423,158 times
Quote:
I keep my left hand at 8 o'clock all the time unless I'm turning. I always avoid putting my arms in front of the airbag.
I use 8 or 9 sometimes but 11 on most days. Talking about all this manual transmission stuff has me wishing I had my old F150 with the 5 apeed and bench seat, rubber floor, crank windows with side vent windows and a dual gas tank, It was a 1995 with the 4.9 castiron block and torsion beam front suspension. Man that truck had some great torq for a 6 banger loved that truck never used first gear unless I was towing or had a heavy load in the bed first gear was called the granny gear.

Old 04-25-2019, 05:43 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
When I see people with the ‘10 and 2’ death grip on the wheel I generally try to stay away from them. They are usually very nervous people or old ladies.

The only time I drive like that is in heavy rain where I may hit some ponding water in the road.

Old 04-26-2019, 02:37 AM

1,877 posts, read 678,211 times
Quote:
Likewise if you can't change gear with your left hand!

Old 04-26-2019, 02:39 AM

1,877 posts, read 678,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
Wait until you get stopped on a hill with your manual, with someone right behind you on your bumper. That will test your skill with the clutch. Manual is not so much fun in situations like that,
That's literally something you need to do in order to pass your driving test here. If you can't do that without rolling backwards then you don't get to drive on your own in public. The vast majority seem to manage it no problem.

Old 04-26-2019, 03:33 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,276,391 times
Quote:
Yeah cops do, and cops are at one of the highest risks of dying in an RTA. They're more likely to be killed driving than shot. So they might wanna rethink their high speed maneuvers. And ti be honest, cops driving like marksmanship ain't all that, kinda proven by stats. It's not making your argument.

Lady I can drive fine with my knees, that doesn't make it a good idea.

Old 04-26-2019, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Yeah cops do, and cops are at one of the highest risks of dying in an RTA. They're more likely to be killed driving than shot. So they might wanna rethink their high speed maneuvers. And ti be honest, cops driving like marksmanship ain't all that, kinda proven by stats. It's not making your argument.

Lady I can drive fine with my knees, that doesn't make it a good idea.
As I already said, I don't agree with them doing it either, but it can be done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive